The smallest Locomotive errors shouted about, but wagons, no comments ?

Dad-1

• RMweb Premium

I have numbered all of my Parkside HTVs off pictures I took in the 80s, similar to my MCV MXV set of Airfix based minerals.

As to coaches, yes they are real sets I have seen

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm fairly proud of the fact that, of my 9 otherwise identical Baccy 16ton minerals, all have different numbers as bought.  My mineral fleet for a small BLT consists of 22 vehicles, all with different numbers, a mixture of Baccy 16tonners, Hornby and Parkside 21tonners, Parkside steel 16tonners, and Bachmann or Oxford 7 plankers.  Only the Parksides have numbers applied by me, and most have those from the kit transfers.

• Like 1

I have only just recently started building wagon kits, before it was all RTR Baccy, Dapol etc. Got to say Parkside stuff is really nice but i also like the Dapol old Airfix ones as well.

Steep learning curve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, down the sdjr said:

I have only just recently started building wagon kits, before it was all RTR Baccy, Dapol etc. Got to say Parkside stuff is really nice but i also like the Dapol old Airfix ones as well.

Steep learning curve.

While in many cases kits are more accurate than (particularly older) RTR wagons, don't assume that is always the case, particularly with newer RTR releases.  I remember choosing the Ratio kit of a SR van over the RTR option (Bachmann, I think?) only to find the roof profile of the RTR van was considered a better match to the prototype than the kit.

For the most part though, kits are easier to detail/correct as some of the rectification work can be easier to do before the component parts are assembled.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

While in many cases kits are more accurate than (particularly older) RTR wagons, don't assume that is always the case, particularly with newer RTR releases.  I remember choosing the Ratio kit of a SR van over the RTR option (Bachmann, I think?) only to find the roof profile of the RTR van was considered a better match to the prototype than the kit.

For the most part though, kits are easier to detail/correct as some of the rectification work can be easier to do before the component parts are assembled.

Some of the work i see on this forum on improving wagon kits is stunning, really nice modelling. But yes, some really nice RTR stuff as well.

What i like about the Parkside models ive built is the brake detail, cant really see it on the layout but you know its there.

• Like 2

Bachmann couldn't even get the brake rigging right on the BR 12t vans, a very simple error having the brake rigging operating the wrong way round. Mind on the 40 vans I have most  have beed sorted with a very sharp craft knife on the brake levers to swap them over.

25 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Bachmann couldn't even get the brake rigging right on the BR 12t vans, a very simple error having the brake rigging operating the wrong way round. Mind on the 40 vans I have most  have beed sorted with a very sharp craft knife on the brake levers to swap them over.

I have one of those on its way from TMC all weathered etc, be nice to know how you do the upgrade.