STEAM ENGINE - MGR WAGONS

Hi

last weekend at Wakefield show D.C kits had a dvd playing with a steam engine (WD) pulling a train of mgr,s at Normanton.

so at club we were talking and wondered what other steam engines pulled mgr,s.

and if any of you had photo,s .Robin is hoping for a 9F?

thanks

Hugh

Hi

last weekend at Wakefield show D.C kits had a dvd playing with a steam engine (WD) pulling a train of mgr,s at Normanton.

so at club we were talking and wondered what other steam engines pulled mgr,s.

and if any of you had photo,s .Robin is hoping for a 9F?

thanks

Hugh

I don't know about 9Fs, but ex-NER Q6s have been photographed doing so in the Durham coalfield, so it wouldn't be too much of a leap to have a Tyne Dock 9F. The first MGR hoppers arrived in 1964/5, before any power stations had been adapted for MGR operation, so they were used on 'normal' workings.

I have seen photos of 9Fs on block trains of 45t 'Monobloc' tanks of the TT* types around Yorkshire in 1964/5

I could be wrong, but I always thought the first real mgr's were those built by the LMS for the Stonebridge Park power station coal trains hauled, more often than not, by 8F's, in early BR steam days a preserve for 'balanced' (starred) examples, in latter BR steam days by the occasional 9F.

The term MGR is a moot point but the purpose built wagons for MGR use (HAA under tops) was the loading and unloading without stopping hence the use of Rapid Loading bunkers and the Daleks for automatic opening and closing of doors.

It was not unknown for these to be worked unfitted with steam and the doors opened and closed manually.

I was told tales of Guards getting additional sunday shifts for cosing doors at Cambois power station in the mid 1960's as it only became true MGR with Daleks in about 1983/4.

Mark Saunders

The term MGR is a moot point but the purpose built wagons for MGR use (HAA under tops) was the loading and unloading without stopping hence the use of Rapid Loading bunkers and the Daleks for automatic opening and closing of doors.

Having seen how the 'Daleks' open and close the doors, you can't help wondering if someone had been studying how the Tri-ang operating hopper wagons worked... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you talk to Ray Clasper at Wakefield Hughie, he will tell you that they once did run a WD through the unloader at Ferrybridge but the ashes from the ashpan damaged the belts so it wasn't repeated.

Jamie

• 6 years later...
Guest bri.s

I think I've seen or heard somewhere that they used the 9f's on them when the HAA's were on test

Brian

Archived