GWR Provender Wagons

John_Hughes

Guest dilbert

Only twelve of these wagons were built - in 1884 & 1903 in two Lot sizes of six. All members of the first lot were condemned in 1934, and one of the second lot in 1946. Of the five remaining wagons, it is possible that one or more made it to nationalisation, however the potential longevity of the remainder in a post-nationaisation era is questionable - there were many more OPENs around that could be sheeted up to transport hay feed etc... dilbert

edit : to finish post

Edited by dilbert

Guest dilbert

Unfortunately dia Q1 was a modest and apparently elusive wagon as very few photos of the prototypes are known - my guess would be DCIII... dilbert

Edited by dilbert
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very handy thread having acquired one of these (built with a lever brake on one side and very oddly vacuum pipes!) 

I was  hoping that I could get away with running it on Brent given its such an unusual prototype, I think I will convert to DC3 brakes, remove the vac pipes and paint up in very tatty large G W livery given that lack of period photos to work from. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been given a couple of nicely-built Q1s and am pondering what to do with them, in the context of a Great Western goods train exercising running powers over a Midland line in the West Midlands c. 1902. Probably not much. The only excuse I can come up with is that they are delivering provender from the Didcot store to a stables at a GW goods station in partibus infidelibus

I've just had a re-read of @MikeOxon's topic. Three things, given the 1903 build date:

1. they're too late for my c. 1902 target date but, heigh-ho, it's a bit elastic;
  2. if one subscribes to the view that GW wagons were red right up until the adoption of the large G W initials in 1904, they should be red;
  3. they were built at the height of the cast number and G.W.R plate period but the photo appears to suggest signwritten lettering - though unfortunately all we have to go on is an enlargement of a scan of a photo in a book - I wonder where the original photo is?

I think I'm being lured into ordering a copy of that Pannier...

EDIT: Bother. Pannier No. 44 looks a darn sight too interesting too.

Edited by Compound2632