Class 325 Royal Mail EMU in 00 Gauge

CWJ

UPDATE: Finished photos on Page 10.

This is going to be more appropriate for the 'kitbuilding and scratchbuilding' thread, but strictly speaking it is modified RTR, so here we go...

After a period of recovery from my Class 155 build, I intend to build one of these:

post-9324-0-01355000-1324392564.jpg

Photo: Chris McKenna

Not the best photo but the only one I could find which wouldn't contravene RMWeb's copyright rules (all my own photos are close-ups of boring details). I would like to clarify, to any jokers who are considering asking the question, that I am building one four-car unit, not three as shown in the photo!

The model will feature:

• Bachmann Class 150 bodyshells, bogies and mechanism (acquired)
  • Hornby Networker Cabs (on their way)
  • One of the Class 150 powered cars modified to be unpowered and fitted with...
  • Hurst Models Power Bogie Sideframes (if they are back in stock any time soon)
  • Hurst Models Pantograph
  • Fox Transfers (acquired)
  • Scratchbuilt/modified/bashed about underframe details, yaw dampers, roller shutter doors, etc.

I hope to make a start some time over the Christmas break, so if anyone has any urgent advice before I take knife to plastic, please shout!

Cheers,

Will

Karhedron - thanks!

Jon - Sorry! I bet you finish yours first though :)

Ian - Yes, it'll be nice to do something with very little glazing :) If two other people build a unit we'll put a 12-car set together, otherwise it's unlikely to happen!

Muddy Water - Thanks for the link, but it's the bodies I need more than the chassis, so I've alreday bought a couple of Bachmann Class 150s. I'm sure others will find the availability of spare chassis handy for other units though.

Cheers,

Will

Guest 40-something

Hi Will

I look forward to seeing your progress on this project. I'm kind of thinking of doing one but using Lima or Hornby Mk3 coaches, Networker cabs and Bachmann 158/170 chassis for power. Haven't thought about bogies or a pantograph.

Hi Will,

I'll be interested to see how you get on with your one. I've got a similar(ish) conversion on the back burner myself, though using a Bratchell 322 as the basis. Power will more than likely be a Bachmann 25 in the auxiliary car. Pantograph will be a scratchbuilt one - much easier than breaking thousands of drill bits to get a Hurst one to behave.....

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

How would you like some moulded cab ends, and most of the underframe equipment? I built six of these for Royal Mail (and two 7mm ones) when they were new. Two not very good photos of these. I used Lima 150s for the roof, bogies and underframes.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

post-1643-0-86711800-1324408658_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-57009300-1324408687_thumb.jpg

Joe - that sounds like a much cheaper way of doing it, but you'll need to reduce the length of the bodies and the chassis. The body end profiles are a little different on MkIII coaches but this might not be noticeable once the doors are filled in. The Turbostar bogies will be a better match than my 150 bogies as they have yaw dampers fitted, plus the mechanism will sit below the window line!

Tim - I don't know for certain but I'd have thought Class 25 wheels would be a bit on the big side for an EMU, but that's no to say it won't look right when assembled. I have a Hurst pantograph ready to build; are they tricky?

Cheers,

Will

Micheal,

Sorry, just missed you. I'm definitely interested in relieving you of some underframe equipment, and possibly the cabs too. Did you mean to attach some photos there?

Cheers,

Will

PS. Did one of your 7mm models end up at the NRM? There's one on display with the other 0-gauge models.

Tim - I don't know for certain but I'd have thought Class 25 wheels would be a bit on the big side for an EMU, but that's no to say it won't look right when assembled. I have a Hurst pantograph ready to build; are they tricky?

I forgot to mention - they would have 10.5mm wheels fitted to them! Trying to find a suitable 36mm wheelbase bogie that is currently available isn't easy. Black Beetles do exist (both my 318s have them) but I'd prefer something smoother.

I would say the best bet is to leave the power bogies unpowered, and use a bachy 150 drive on the trailer bogies. That way you get a really decent and smooth drive for only £25 if you buy them off the link posted earlier.

HTH

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Yes, one of the 7mm models is in NRM now. They were built in much the same way but with more scratchbuilding. I built another 4mm one which was powered with a Black Beetle bogie, I think that may be the one in the first photo being tested on my layout. I've dug out the moulds now, most of them seem to be in good condition, there's also one for the roller shutter doors and one for the power bogie side frames. These were fitted to the inside of the steel sheet sides. The resin moulded cab ends were my first attempt at this technique, I used it again on the 503 EMU which we now sell as a kit. The 325s were built before we got into etching, otherwise we might have marketed this as well.

Michael Edge

Tom - Yes, I'll probably use the Bachmann chassis to drive the trailing TPMV as the bogies just need yaw dampers adding - the MPMV will need power bogie frames so this would be a good candidate for completely new bogies. I've already bought a pair of Class 150s for their bodies, so I don't need the seperate chassis, but this could be useful for those building an EMU using other bodies such as Bratchell kits.

Michael - Thanks for your PM, I look forward to further info on your parts. I forgot to say, by the way, that your models look excellent.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

How would you like some moulded cab ends, and most of the underframe equipment? I built six of these for Royal Mail (and two 7mm ones) when they were new. Two not very good photos of these. I used Lima 150s for the roof, bogies and underframes.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

I thought that Herculaneum had been backdated???

Intercity Models are producing this as part of there line up!

here's the link,

http://www.intercitymodels.com/EMU's.html

HTH.

Andy.

Hi,

I talked to them about it and they said 18 months, that was three years ago. I won't hedge your bets on it coming anytime soon!

I will be interested to see how the conversion goes!

Simon

Its been there longer than that...over six years?

Ian

Hi,

I talked to them about it and they said 18 months, that was three years ago. I won't hedge your bets on it coming anytime soon!

I will be interested to see how the conversion goes!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of my earlier comments was lost when RMWeb went down over Christmas, but I said that I had already spotted the Intercity Models proposal and noted that it didn't seem forthcoming (especially as their website notifies us of the proprietor's ill health at the moment).

Progress over the festive season:

• I put together some illustrations showing the modifications required to each Class 150 vehicle - these were posted just before the RMWeb's Christmas 'bug' and subsequently disappeared.
  • I have dismantled the Class 150s into their component parts and put one of the chassis to one side.
  • I have very kindly been donated a pair of Hornby 'Networker' bodyshells by a fellow RMWebber (many thanks, Paul) and as he wouldn't accept any payment I made a donation to RMWeb instead - this is a great idea and I would encourage others to do likewise where practical.
  • I have succumbed to temptation and ordered a set of etched Class 325 roller-shutter doors, pushbuttons and bodyside grills from another RMWebber, I'm not sure if these are available to the general public so please contact me privately if interested in purchasing some and I'll put you in touch with the seller (alternatively, if they are available to buy, he may comment to that effect on this forum).

Progress photos to follow once RMWeb is back in good health; it is very good of Andy and colleagues to work so hard to resolve the problems over the festive season - thanks chaps, if you're reading this.

Cheers - and a Happy New Year to all,

Will

try 10-11 years ago,it will never happen same as the class 442 wessex.

If you ever ask him in person how it's coming along you'll get the reply "it's being tooled at the moment". Considering he's been saying that since around 2005 and all their other kits appear to have been shelved years ago I can only think he's fantasising or rather lost track of time!

Tom

Right, I've uploaded a few photos now everything seems to be up and running :)

Firstly, I sketched out a few basic plans of how the Class 150s need to be modified. Firstly, here are the donor units:

post-9324-0-72919300-1325504689_thumb.jpg

Going through the vehicles one by one, first will be one of the DTPMVs:

post-9324-0-38512500-1325504712_thumb.jpg

Next, the TPMV:

post-9324-0-34445900-1325504729_thumb.jpg

Next, the MPMV:

post-9324-0-16527900-1325504743_thumb.jpg

...and finally, the other DTPMV, with no labels because it's basically the same as the other driving car:

post-9324-0-85560300-1325504757_thumb.jpg

The numbers have the following meanings:

1. Remove glazing, fill window apertures and make flush with bodyside.

2. Remove sliding doors and replace with roller-shutters (scribed plastic or etched brass).

3. Remove cab door and other details, fill recesses and make flush with bodyside.

4. Remove vehicle end exhaust pipes & guards.

5. Remove all underslung components and bogie steps.

6. Fit third rail pickup gear to outer end bogies only.

7. Shorten Bachmann close couplings and re-use. For coupling TPMV to MPMV (i.e. the two seperate Class 150s) fit new (Keen?) close-coupling.

8. Add yaw dampers and brackets (to bogie or body?)

9. Fit new door control buttons and blue indicator lights.

10. Move roof vents (not all labelled).

11. Extend ribbed roof over cab roof by replacing with spare section from MPMV pantograph well.

12. Fit new (etched?) flush cab door.

13. Fit new Networker-style cab/bufferbeam assembly.

14. Remove water tank hatch detail from roof.

15. Cut out pantograph well from MPMV and use ribbed part of roof to create new 'inner end' on TPMV.

16. Remove details from cab ends and bulid up to correct 'inner end' profile.

17. Remove Bachmann chassis and replace with plan plastic floor.

18. Replace Bachmann bogies with kit-built 'motor' bogies.

Apologies for the line spacing above, I can't seem to sort it out. Please note the above changes don't include smaller details.

Next up, here are the donor Hornby Networker bodies:

post-9324-0-39923500-1325504673_thumb.jpg

And finally, the Class 150s after dismantling. At the back can be seen a large jar full of useful underframe components (mostly destined for my Lima Class 156, but that's another story) and a pile of glazing.

That's all for now until I hear about an offer of underframe and cab front mouldings; I don't want to take knife to plastic until I know what components I'll be using.

Cheers,

Will

post-9324-0-23063600-1325504636_thumb.jpg

Archived