UTA MED

kirley

I hope to start building a 3 coach MED in the New Year using a Worsley Kit. The era I propose to place the model in is between late 1960 and 1965 i.e. plain Brunswick Green livery with the yellow & black front panel.

I am looking for information on what decals I need.

The Railcar Number is above the driver’s window according to one photograph, is the number repeated on the sides and if so where are they located?

Is it the same on the Trailers? (One photograph shows numbers on the window pillars between the first two windows at either end).

Is the UTA logo displayed on the Railcar/Trailer?

Also could anyone suggest a roof colour for this era?

My main reference book is Diesel Dawn. Any advice would be most welcome welcome.

Good luck with the WW etches, Look forward to seeing it when finished. I made a set some years ago of smooth sided ones using Comet underframes, Black Beetle motor, old Hornby DMU fronts and Hornby LMS sides! I used a graham farish suburban coach for the intermediate. The whole thing was quite a job, and you can't skimp on the interiors either, as they are in full view..

post-4092-0-33310600-1324466818_thumb.jpg

I must get round to putting the number above the front windows!

As far as I know gold numbers with a circle round them were placed on window pillars as you mention, on both trailers and power cars. These are made by a firm called Mabex PO Box 55 Tunbridge Wells (mail order only).. For some reason the MEDs didn't seem to carry the UTA crest - or at least I've not seen any that did. Maybe Queen's Quay didn't like them-or possibly they looked odd on the ribbed sides so they just left them off..I put one on my "converted" trailer because I liked the look of it.

As far as roof goes, I use LMS coach roof grey or BR (slightly darker) - both look fine to me. I am sure we will never know what colour was used exactly and the more I investigate the less certain I am that there were in fact" "standard" colours anyway!

Colm

Thanks Colm for the information. I looked up Mabex in the British Railway Modelling Directory but it reported this supplier is closed so I’m not sure where I would go to get one off decals unless Des at Studio Scale Models in Ennis might?

Just got word today the WW kit is on its way. I’ll put my progress up on the site once I get started sometime in January.

Merlin – I take it you are referring to the excellent Jeremy Fletcher article, if so I have it on standby for ready reference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

For some reason the MEDs didn't seem to carry the UTA crest - or at least I've not seen any that did. Maybe Queen's Quay didn't like them-or possibly they looked odd on the ribbed sides so they just left them off

AFAIK, only the DMB carried the UTA crest on the bodyside beside the guards double doors.

Also, I think that is 1st Class seating area behind the drivers cab.

MED 22 York Rd 10-06-1957

post-2692-0-00826400-1324501511_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

yes, that's correct for the "red hand" roundal.

I cannot of course be 100% certain about the later crest, most photos (those I've seen) don't show that much detail..

Interesting detail of the "Festival" coach beside 22; These had squarish roof ventilators rather than the more usual "torpedo" type. I think they were also on some more modern GNR caoching stock.

Colm

• 2 months later...

MED2.jpg

Just finished (almost) my attempt at a UTA MED 3 car set. I used a Worsley Works kit and this was my first attempt at soldering a brass kit.

On reflection it was not the easiest kit to start with and there were many attempts at soldering, unsoldering and re-soldering again.

MED001.jpg

To misquote the song I did it my way, mistakes I had many, too many to list but it was a learning experience.

MED4.jpg

I used Airfix 60’ coaches for two of the cars with the brass sides and for the driving car I used a Replica Railways die-cast chassis.

Nice work on the MED Kirley.Worsley Work etches are not for the faint hearted,I know from experience.I too tried one of these kits many years ago and ended up just using them as overlays on modified RTR coaches.As long as the shape and look is right,that is all that really matters.

I have always liked the MEDs,probably as they bring back fond memories of the couple of summer holiday day trips to Bangor each year!Being brought up beside Adelaide station and freight yard,the BUTs,AECs and 80 class railcars held sway,even though MED and MPD railcars were also present on the ex GNR section.

Once again well done on capturing the feel of these unique units.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Yes that's a nice job there! The new-build MEDs with the flat roof profiles and ribbed sides are to me the classic ones, not least as they are the only types that had a matching trailer (apart from the first set built, for the very short period their centre-cars operated as trailers before cabs (and I think engines) were added).

Soldering irons to me are a work of the Devil and at £80 a set, etches are not a cheap option, especially as I would probably end up messing it up. I remember many moons ago soldering from brass sheet a custom fuel tank for a flying semi-scale control line model, and while it worked, it looked like it was made by Picasso! If I could persuade myself to splash out on Worsley etches, I would be inclined to stick everything together with cyano, would that work do you think? Especially if you overlaid the etches on a cut-back bodyshell, maybe? I think Hunslett mentioned doing that, with a BUT brake.

Some more pics of the set would be appreciated, especially of individual cars to show a bit more detail!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Those front UTA roundels were mounted on circular 'dinner plate' like disks which were made with notches in their edges to fit snugly over the ribbed bodywork sheeting. I was surprised that these were actually removed rather than just painted over when the UTA livery was succeeded.

On a model you could make the disk from plastic sheet with the back grooved to match the bidy ribbing.

For my own MED model Hunslet 102 provided me with the details for the NIR decals.

Andy, (Hunslet 102)is helping me through the complex procedure of being able to post pictures.

I am the 'Jeremy Fletcher' referred to by Kirley.

I am currently working on an SSM Bredin coach kit (3rd class).

Archived