What has happened to the Bachmann London Transport Pannier ?

brian777999

Guest dilbert

Even Bachmann may have been surprised by the popularity of the LT pannier, as it sold out very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see this model appear in the 2012 catalogue - either as L98 or sporting a different running number... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

I presume it is simply down to the current production run being sold out. I tend to keep an eye on the Bachmann website to track progress of models I am interested in:

http://www.Bachmann....prod_selected=6

Common sense would suggest this page is updated on the basis of container tracking, i.e. despatch and arrival dates, amended as necessary if there is any significant variation to the shipping schedule. Interestingly, for a while this page gave the impression that a further batch of LT panniers was on the way, but I note this was subsequently removed.

Given the apparent popularity of the latest incarnation, it is quite possible that Bachmann will instigate another production run in the future. You could always give them a ring at Barwell and ask.

EDIT: also covered here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42210-lt-pannier/page__st__75

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

They got very scarce very quickly, surprising how there was only ever 13 real things.

I went round all the stands at warley asking, all the big names had sold out of them. Eventually just as i gave up i found the last one on the stand at Hereford model centre. as walways they seem to move off the shelves like greased lightning.

Just a shame the details are flawed!

LC

So far Bachmann have made: L89 - the most recent; L91 - which was only available as part of the 30-200 set; L95 - which I believe was a limited edition for the LT Museum; L96 - the Kernow Models limited edition; and L99 - which was only available as part of the 30-201 set. If you look at the other issues of the pannier tank thay have they have made most of them.

31-902A was 5775 in BR livery, that became L89, and presumably was used for the current L89 model.

31-900 was 7760 in GWR livery, that became L90

32-210 was 5786 in GWR livery, that became L92

32-211 was 7739 in BR livery, that became L98

Hence L93 or L97 would be my choice for the next run as they have no corresponding model issued to date.

I just ordered one off Radley Models' website - it is listed under 'Tube Stock! There is a slight price premium but beggars can't be choosers. I couldn't find the spare cash when the model was available from the more regular suppliers and it had sold out when I was ready to buy.

...and L99 - which was only available as part of the 30-201 set.

31-902A was 5775 in BR livery, that became L89, and presumably was used for the current L89 model.

31-900 was 7760 in GWR livery, that became L90

32-210 was 5786 in GWR livery, that became L92

32-211 was 7739 in BR livery, that became L98

Hence L93 or L97 would be my choice for the next run as they have no corresponding model issued to date.

Just a quick correction to the above, i dont think L99 was exclusively supplied as set, my dad picked one up at the long closed cove models independently, so i presume they also did limited indiviual release.

The panniers were identical apart from minor livery changes and extra LT fittinggs, so its not really a case of which locos were used by Bachmann. Churchward, collett and the GW liked their standardisation!

And definitely a model of L93 next, my 5'' gauge model willl be that engine. Nothing like your own engine to add to the pair i already have!

Cheers

LC

They have been surprisingly popular. The second batch arrived shortly before Christmas. I don't expect any more.

We have one left - A customer order from the first batch that was never collected.

I put it back on sale on Saturday. Be quick if you want it! (it's not on the website)

To be honest, the Bachmann panniers are always popular - especially once I've put sound in them.

Just a quick correction to the above, i dont think L99 was exclusively supplied as set, my dad picked one up at the long closed cove models independently, so i presume they also did limited indiviual release.

The panniers were identical apart from minor livery changes and extra LT fittinggs, so its not really a case of which locos were used by Bachmann. Churchward, collett and the GW liked their standardisation!

And definitely a model of L93 next, my 5'' gauge model willl be that engine. Nothing like your own engine to add to the pair i already have!

Cheers

LC

My first LT pannier was the Kernow Models one. When I later found out that Bachmann had done the LT panniers several years before the Kernow limited edition, I went looking for L91 and L99 and came across a copy of the Bachmann complete list of models. According to that L91 and L99 were only issued in sets, not as separate models. The sets were unusual in that all the models were individually boxed within the set box. In my experience, none of the boxes in the set have descriptions on the end flaps. So because the locos have their own box, at first sight it doesn't look like a boxed example came from a set because it is in the correct box with the correct tray. The sets also include track and a mains powered controller.

I'm sure breaking sets is not a recent invention of the Trade, and you can see the individual boxed locos appearing on ebay without the rest of the set. There is a boxed L91 on there at the moment, it looks very good too.

• RMweb Gold

I just checked the boxes on mine (which were broken from the early set with L99).

The loco (L99), brake van (B582) and 3 plank wagon (BW231) have plain end flaps one end and company address the other.

The 5 plan wagon (DW280) has the company address one end and:

ITEM NO: 33-052

5 PLANK WAGON

B.R.DEPARTMENTAL GREY

...on the other! Note the use of BR and not LT despite being numbered as an LT wagon (no TfL or LUL in those days of course)

The official listing of all Bachmann models to 2009 is on the Bachmann web site at http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/branchline_products_by_item_no.pdf

I have the 30-200 set myself, and mine contains: L91; a 3 plank wagon, BW231 (BW = Ballast Wagon) in LT livery; a 16 Ton steel mineral wagon M620233; and a 20 Ton brake van B582 (B - Brake) in LT Livery. I didn't buy it from new so I cannot say if there have been any substitutions, but it is in unused condition and is complete, including all instruction leaflets. The set box lid is printed 30-200. None of the boxes have descriptions of the contents on the end flaps. This does not tally with the official Bachmann description which is clearly wrong as it says that the second wagon is "Wagon B582 in LT Dark Grey Livery", and does not give the running number for the Brake Van. All but 2 LT Brake Vans had the letter B followed by a number as their running number according to my sources, so the wagon cannot be "B582". DW as part of a running number was apparently not used by LT, at least not up to 1987.

The L99 set is supposed to contain the mineral wagon that is in my L91 set. I have an L99 set as well, but that is in storage at the moment. I will check what it contains when I next get it out of store.

It wouldn't surprise me if what was supposed to be in the set wasn't always put in the set.

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes I was forgetting the mineral wagon was in the L99 set. The 33-052 wagon must have been issued separately - hence the printing on the end flap.

I think Bachmann writers/proof readers got mixed up in the write up for the wagons and brake van. BR Ashford constructed 6 for LT 1960/61ish and these were numbered B580-585 so the Bachmann number is correct for the Brake.

http://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_020.php

However, the dark grey colour isn't correct unless it applies to late 60's/early 70's. I can't quite track down when LT specifically darkened the grey on its freight stock. The Brakes were originally lighter grey and if concurrent with eg the 3 plank wagon these should all be lighter grey than Bachmann used. There's a 3 plank wagon in the Acton museum (albeit in museum condition) and the grey is MUCH lighter than Bachmanns.

The cover of London Underground Steam by Kevin McCormack ISBN 978-0-7110-3406-8 shows not only the lighter shade of grey when the brake van was newer but coincidentally has B582 on the cover!

I agree that the DW number is zany.

I had pre-ordered the LT Pannier and was a bit surprised that so far I haven't received one from the first batch, though I still anticipate getting one.

The shop where I placed the order indicates on their website that they are "awaiting next delivery", so hopefully a new batch is underway.

Ah yes I was forgetting the mineral wagon was in the L99 set. The 33-052 wagon must have been issued separately - hence the printing on the end flap.

Bachmann do list 33-052 as a separate model, describing it as "BR GreyLivery".

I think Bachmann writers/proof readers got mixed up in the write up for the wagons and brake van. BR Ashford constructed 6 for LT 1960/61ish and these were numbered B580-585 so the Bachmann number is correct for the Brake.

They were built in 1962 I believe

However, the dark grey colour isn't correct unless it applies to late 60's/early 70's.....

All the panniers were withdrawn from service by September 1971, so the dark grey would be right in that case.

My L89 arrived from Radley Models a couple of days ago.

I tested it briefly on DC then fitted a TCS DP2X-UK decoder, removing all of the capacitors at the same time. Behaviour was a little odd with this decoder in spite of my tweaking various settings and even turning off the BEMF (CV61). I decided that the chokes might be touching something on the DP2X decoder so tried a TCS M1P decoder, which worked a treat first go. It was a little more awkward to fit into the body but i eventually persuaded it all to fit neatly and it is now a very sweet and smooth runner.

The DP2X decoder will find a home in another project.

• 3 years later...

Thought a list of the models issued thus far might be of interest.

30-200         L.91                       1991 Bachmann SET 30-200

30-201          L.99                      1993 Bachmann SET 30-201

31-903          L.94                      1999 LONDON TRANSPORT MUSEUM

32-210Z        L.95                      2007 KERNOW MODEL CENTRE

32-217          L.89                      2011 Bachmann

30-076         L.97                      2012 MIDNIGHT MET. SET 30-076

32-217Z          L.94                         2013 LTM '150' EDITION

32-217?         L.90                      2013 MIDNIGHT MET. SET 30-077 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It is a Parkside Midland Brake van PC58

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/LONDON_MIDLAND___SCOTTISH_RAILWAY.html

However I attempted some cutting and shutting with bits from a Smallbrook Studio LSWR Road van to get the lookouts, and create a Hurst Nelson van. Ideally the lookouts should be smooth and not panelled but that was beyond my skill set especially as I needed to create this in a hurry.

revIMG_5836800px.jpg

revIMG_5835800px.jpg 

HurstNelsonpacket.jpg

I've got a Bachmann LT pannier body in VGC as I picked it up to use the chassis on another project. I was going to put it on a well known auction site but if any one wants to make me a very reasonable offer pm me and I'll post you a photo. Sorry moderator its not the proper sales page but its only a one off that is related to this thread. Steve

Archived