Cowans Sheldon 76tonne breakdown crane

ringo

Hi all,

does anyone have any drawings of the 1960s built 76tonne breakdown cranes, I worked with them for yrars (ADRC 96708)when I was on breakdown duties, and I want to rebuild a Hornby one, I know its very undersized jib wise, so need a decent drawing (pref in 4mm) so I make a new derrick.

It doesnt matter if they are of the steam version as the jib will be the same.

Thanks for any help in advance.

regards

ringo

Guest stuartp

If no-one has responded with a proper drawing by Monday, PM me your email address - I'm fairly sure there's a BR weight diagram of this on my hard drive at work.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

Yes ADRC 96708 was the former Bescot Crane, it came over to Tyseley TMD in about 1985/6 and stayed at the depot until withdrawl in the 1990s< id left Tyseley in 1989, so lost touch with it a bit, however, on withdrawl it was privately purchased and ended up in the Museum next door, which it finally left I believe last year and has now gone to Peak rail. One of the packing vans is also in preservation at Cheddleton, still with my large "84E" shed code on the end of it!

I have now built in N gauge, Tyseleys riding van and one of the packing vans, and also a crane, but its a hydraulic crane rather than a mechanical one, as I cant find one any where of the Cowans 76 tonne one in N.

Also I have constructed one of the commando type rerailing road vans, and next im trying to build a N gauge Bruff!

Regards

Ringo

Hi Mike,

Yes ADRC 96708 was the former Bescot Crane, it came over to Tyseley TMD in about 1985/6 and stayed at the depot until withdrawl in the 1990s< id left Tyseley in 1989, so lost touch with it a bit, however, on withdrawl it was privately purchased and ended up in the Museum next door, which it finally left I believe last year and has now gone to Peak rail. One of the packing vans is also in preservation at Cheddleton, still with my large "84E" shed code on the end of it!

I have now built in N gauge, Tyseleys riding van and one of the packing vans, and also a crane, but its a hydraulic crane rather than a mechanical one, as I cant find one any where of the Cowans 76 tonne one in N.

Also I have constructed one of the commando type rerailing road vans, and next im trying to build a N gauge Bruff!

Regards

Ringo

Thanks Ringo.

Allocation info on these cranes is a bit hard to come by.

I have a slide somewhere of the Tyseley train on the up through at Leamington one Sunday while the train loco (a 47) ran round, with Dick Chubb grinning out of the window of one of the vans! Must dig that out and post it...

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I would dearly like to see that phot at Leamington, we never went to Leamington mutch, the last time I went there was after an incident between Dorridge and Hatton where a liner train came off.

I remember walking the defective part of the train on a skate and very much out of gauge to Leamington, a long walk, and putting it into the sidings that were between the GW up line and the line to Cov.

They transhipped the containers off during that weekend, so it may be the aftermath of that episode.

Anyway, Chubby grinning.....never...thats was just wind from one of Lotties dodgy meatball stews on the train!

Oh I miss the good ol' days!

Cheers

R

PS, just had a look at some of your photos on your pic site, memories, 25912....08601, 08604 ,,08893,,,,,i got a rollocking for painting all of those! by the way in your 08601 phot, thats me in the cab.....that makes me feel very old!

Mike, will you check the topics please before hitting 'Send' again - they are coming through, despite the error messages. I'm now deleting four identical posts.

Thanks.

Whoops - sorry! Just got the error and no forum access for over 24 hours so no way of knowing that I'm afraid

Regards

Mike

Mike,

I would dearly like to see that phot at Leamington, we never went to Leamington mutch, the last time I went there was after an incident between Dorridge and Hatton where a liner train came off.

I remember walking the defective part of the train on a skate and very much out of gauge to Leamington, a long walk, and putting it into the sidings that were between the GW up line and the line to Cov.

They transhipped the containers off during that weekend, so it may be the aftermath of that episode.

Anyway, Chubby grinning.....never...thats was just wind from one of Lotties dodgy meatball stews on the train!

Oh I miss the good ol' days!

Cheers

R

PS, just had a look at some of your photos on your pic site, memories, 25912....08601, 08604 ,,08893,,,,,i got a rollocking for painting all of those! by the way in your 08601 phot, thats me in the cab.....that makes me feel very old!

Yes good old days...

Will try and dig the slides out when I get some time

Cheers

Mike

Hi Paul.

if those were taken in 1990, I had just transferred to Saltley LIP, (left Tyseley in 1989).

Your pictures taken at Washwood Heath Yard, the problem with going in there was making sure they did not send you over the hump......they did it to us one day, and the result.......crane off the road! Theres nothing more embarrasing than having to rerail your own vans and crane!

I still to this day carry out rerailing operations, and just setting up a course on how to rerail 66s in Poland!

Regards

R

• 2 years later...

I know it's a while since this thread was active

BUT

I am struggling finding decent drawings of the 75 ton crane as I want to look at detailing my Hornby one - Already made a new match wagon similar to a bogie one seen in use at Derby some years ago one

Can anyone point me to a website or better mail me a drawing or two

I am struggling finding decent drawings of the 75 ton crane as I want to look at detailing my Hornby one - Already made a new match wagon similar to a bogie one seen in use at Derby some years ago one

Can anyone point me to a website or better mail me a drawing or two

I too only have a weight diagram as mentioned by Stuartp above. Do you have that?

The 75T cranes never had bogie match wagons is service (in fact I don't think any BDC had bogie match wagons although plenty of engineers' cranes did). If one was seen at Derby, I wonder if it was a temporary one while the crane was in works.

Have you seen the web site of the Breakdown Crane Association? Highly recommended if you are into that sort of thing.

• RMweb Premium

Can I draw attention to a book recently published called "Railway Breakdown Cranes" Volume 1 by Peter Tatlow ( ISBN 978-1-906419-69-1 ) ?

Volume 1 discusses several cranes including those built by Cowans Sheldon up to 45T capacity but Volume 2 ( to be out next year ) will feature the larger cranes ( both steam and diesel )

This book has a few 4mm scale drawings of cranes, plenty of line diagrams and photographs. But it isn't cheap ( £33 ) yet is A4 sized hardback with 256 pages!

Can I draw attention to a book recently published called "Railway Breakdown Cranes" Volume 1 by Peter Tatlow ( ISBN 978-1-906419-69-1 ) ?

Volume 1 discusses several cranes including those built by Cowans Sheldon up to 45T capacity but Volume 2 ( to be out next year ) will feature the larger cranes ( both steam and diesel )

This book has a few 4mm scale drawings of cranes, plenty of line diagrams and photographs. But it isn't cheap ( £33 ) yet is A4 sized hardback with 256 pages!

Yes seen this on Amazon but far too pricey for my budget may have to ask the local library to get a copy in

What surprises me is the lack of even semi-accurate drawings of this piece of necessary railway equipment there isn't even one on the BDC Website which is why I came here to ask the question as I know the jib is undersized but by how much I just can't find out

• RMweb Gold

Yes seen this on Amazon but far too pricey for my budget may have to ask the local library to get a copy in

What surprises me is the lack of even semi-accurate drawings of this piece of necessary railway equipment there isn't even one on the BDC Website which is why I came here to ask the question as I know the jib is undersized but by how much I just can't find out

It's a bit difficult to explain, but here goes. The straight line distance from the centre of the jib foot to the centre of the main hoist sheave pin is 49' 0".

The straight line distance from the centre of the jib foot to the centre of the auxiliary hoist sheave pin is 51' 6"

The straight line distance from the centre of the auxiliary hoist to the end of the jib is 1' 2"

The straight line distance from the centre of the jib foot the top of the point on the jib is 40' 3"

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I found a plan for a 75 ton Cowan Sheldon crane in the archives at Tullie House Museum.

They were kind enough to scan it and send to me, about 35 meg file, very clear!

They now mention they have it when you do a Google search. Edwin is the chap to speak to IIRC.

regards

Peter

Archived