The Model Signal box portfolio

Hi there,

I propose to re introduce the Signal box thread that I started on the old RMweb which was a popular topic with many photographs.

I woulld like to encorage others to post there models but do let us know what the model is.

I will get us going with a few photos.

Peterborough North box 4mm

ptbrghbox6010-2-1.jpg

ptbrghbox6001-2.jpg

ptbrghbox6011-2.jpg

Breckon & Merthyr under construction 7mm

PA220692-2.jpg

PA220693-2.jpg

PA220691-2.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
Can’t be viewed.
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I remember there being a door into the basement of Rhiwderin (Brecon & Merthyr), which was directly under the porch. There wasn't a locking room as such; The locking was in the rear of the frame, as it was a Saxby & Farmer gridiron frame.

I spent many happy hours restoring that box.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by tomparryharry

Re Merthyr box,

Hi Ian,

that's very interesting indeed, I am not by any stretch of imagination an expert on this type of Box.

It was constructed as part of a stage by stage demonstration model for the book I am writing on Architectural modelling, with regard to the door under the porch I had no knowledge of, the model was constructed making use of a drawing in MRJ No4.

if the door was under the porch could it be that the ground was lower at that point and steps leading down to it?

cheers

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Re Merthyr box,

Hi Ian,

that's very interesting indeed, I am not by any stretch of imagination an expert on this type of Box.

It was constructed as part of a stage by stage demonstration model for the book I am writing on Architectural modelling, with regard to the door under the porch I had no knowledge of, the model was constructed making use of a drawing in MRJ No4.

if the door was under the porch could it be that the ground was lower at that point and steps leading down to it?

cheers

Peter

A quick check of pics of Riwderin station suggests the ground was no lower - the 'box stood at the foot of the platform ramp which led immediately to a timber crossing over the running lines. I'm not sure if this link will come up with the correct picture but on here there are a couple of the'box as re-erected at Caerphilly before it went to the Teifi Valley (where it has been much altered).

Having trouble with the link - use this one and then click on 'Steam Caerphilly' and you'll find a good pic of the 'box at top right http://www.quietwoma....moonfruit.com/

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Hello Peter & Mike,

The box lost about 6" in the transfer to Caerphilly. I knew this, as the lead off timber was at ground level, instead of being much higher. When I started at Caerphilly, they were about to scrap the box, as no-one was interested in seeing it restored. The locking engineer at Newport still had spares! The original down distant at Rhiwderin lasted well into the eighties, still with its somersault apparatus. I understand the 11 lever frame is still with the surviving Caerphilly guys, now located at the Gwili Railway. The reason that the box is much altered is because a lot of it didn't make it out of Caerphilly; At least, I seem to remember that most of the basement stayed after the Teifi had removed the top of the box.

Non standard slates on the roof.... I seem to remember them being narrower than the standard sizes.....

Regards,

Ian

Here is one "I made Earlier", from memory about 1968. After use on a club layout it lay dormant for many years and indeed forgotten about. I recently resurected it as a colour ref. for my latest signalbox "Sallyfield Jct" as seen elswhere. I was about 18/19 when I built the model, 45 years on I was able to recover the inside furniture for further use. Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.

post-702-0-36879300-1326148737_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi,

am a bit dubious to post any of my work next to Gravy Train's exceptional work but here are a couple of photos of an O gauge model of Pontypool Road Station South J unction box I made 20 or more years ago for a friend.post-14048-0-71192900-1326216714_thumb.jpgpost-14048-0-46347000-1326216763_thumb.jpgpost-14048-0-27558000-1326216829_thumb.jpg

Lovely work Gravy Train. How do you make your windows.The interior of St Marys crossing is correct for recent times as I worked a couple of night turns there twenty or so years ago and apart from the fire, chair and table the interioir was empty. A pair of Annetts key instruments on the outside back wall where provided to release the gates. Taking the keys out of the instruments replaced the protecting colour light signals to danger. We only used to cover if the resident crossing keeer (Zetty) was on leave or otherwise unable to work.

• Like 10

Hi Dave,

I stand corrected re Chinley box :-)

eggesford box,

that is a very nice box indeed and constructed 20 years ago, thanks for posting,

the St Mary's box interior is pretty much guess work but had some idea of the arrangement, I have constructed quite a few St Mary boxes, mostly in 7mm.

I make most of my windows by fixing microstrip directly to clear plastic with Mek-Pak by means of a mek brush.

cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train

Trying to find some pics of the model signalboxes I have built within my chaotic file system and so far only this one has surfaced.

Alphagraphics LNW box with the windows cut out and modified and a BR era exLNW interior fitted. Reminds me of many of the boxes I have worked.

post-7179-0-74905800-1326230378_thumb.jpg

JF

• Like 14

A couple of view of a model I'm building of Botanic Gardens Signalbox for the Scalefour Society East Yorkshire Area Group's layout of the same name. It's modelled before it was substanially rebuilt at the crossing end to provide the signalman with greater visability for the crossing.

DSCF4237.jpg

DSCF4238.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here is a 4mm scale model of Eridge signal box I built about 1980. The layout was dismantled in the 1980's and this box has spent most of its life sitting on the shelf it was photographed on the staircase landing!

The interior and fireplace are lit but they haven't been connected to a power supply for many years.

Ian

post-1557-0-50516300-1326231637_thumb.jpg

• Like 9