The Model Signal box portfolio

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, I thought it was that cabin

RE Barsham tunnel, I wonder if it had any airshafts?

I did think about a tunnel on my Cley layout , I knew of barsham and wondered if a line was built down the glaven valley would a tunnel have been needed near Letheringsett

Speaking of tunnels is there any other county in the UK without one?

• 9 months later...

I'm not far off finishing my attempt at modelling the former box at Goodrington... but one sticking point is how best to replicate the 3 ventilation thingies on the ridge of the roof.  Can't seem to find a ready-made source... so any tips from those 'signal box makers' who've made some would be very much appreciated. 

post-11262-0-06094400-1444655170_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Alan,

If you haven't access to a lathe, I'd fabricate them from telescopic brass tubes..

You can "turn" the conical top by spinning the assembly in an electric drill and using a file to get the shape, then fine files and emery paper to get a good finish.

Steve.

Thanks for your kind suggestions Steve.  Fact is, if I did have access to a lathe I wouldn't know how to use it (!!)... and my electric drill is the one I first bought in 1974 (probably an Xmas present from guess who!) and I tend to use it as little as possible!!  Still works, though. A 2-speed Black and Decker!

Anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of plastic rod (or tube) inserted into plastic tube for the bulk of the vent... and then hoping for inspiration to provide the conical top piece... which is really quite tiny.  The whole unit is about 8-10 mmm tall.   Re the plastic approach, the tube of the cotton buds I have fits perfectly into the slightly larger tube I saved from an 'anti-bac' spray bottle (I hang on to a bit of everything... just in case!) and they actually look about the right diameter too.  I'll see how that develops...

Best wishes

Many years ago, Prototype models did a GW signal box and included were two vents and an 'H' shaped chimney, in whitemetal. I still have them, but on a scratchbuilt model of a box in the Monmouthshire area. If you can locate one of these card kits, then it might be worth buying just for the vents.

For a small cone, you can use a leather punch and use the punched circles from a piece of paper or thing card, cut a V notch in to the centre and then glue the two flaps together, I think a standard paper hole punchmay be too big

That's interesting David.  I'll follow that up.... and Andy, the hole-punch idea sounds great.  I think I know someone with a leather one.

Churchward/Modellex make vents for their kits... but I've asked, and unfortunately they don't do them as separate items.  Saw some exquisite ones on a signal box at Pendon... so someone knows/knew how to make them!!!  

• 2 months later...

I'm only a recently joined member here and I was prompted to post here on my favourite railway subjects of Signalling and Boxes. A model I built some years ago of Blackrod Junction Signal Box in 4mm winning an award at my local British modellers (BRMA) competition. Made from styrene and card combined. The brickwork was made using the PC and printed out for the that red/purple colour. Windows were made from styrene strip. Includes interior details. When installed on my layout it was renamed for the station - Wellingford.

post-26340-0-69470800-1452389064_thumb.jpgpost-26340-0-83857800-1452389782_thumb.jpgpost-26340-0-40113000-1452389552_thumb.jpg

post-26340-0-17143200-1452390671.jpg

Edited by Gavdownunder
  • Like 11

Another box I built especially for its location was based on the Coalville box. I liked the unusual intermediate landing on the staircase. Windows are the Ratio offerings. Again this one made from styrene and card. Also seen on Wellingford & Bakewell Bridge as No2 Box.

Cheers, Gav.

post-26340-0-60590800-1452393019_thumb.jpg

post-26340-0-69099300-1452393036.jpg

post-26340-0-95554500-1452393303_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Gav.

I like that a lot.

Can I ask where you got the 4mm drawing for the box ?

Hi Tony,

I had no plan, I used a couple of photos to scale it out, knowing the size of the Ratio windows gave me the benchmark dimmensions to work from. The lever room has the signature Midland style features, and a quick study of those reveals its makeup as such. Cheers, Gav.

post-26340-0-20765500-1452493507.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gav,

many thanks for posting up your work, very nice job on the boxes, would that be Blackrod  near  Horwich, LYR? I particularly like the 2nd box, mainly because of its shape/character, have you any photos of your layout, from what I can see it looks very good although you would have to post it up on the Layouts thread, I'm sure it will be well received.

cheers

Peter A L

Edited by Gravy Train

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gav,

many thanks for posting up your work, very nice job on the boxes, would that be Blackrod  near  Horwich, LYR? I particularly like the 2nd box, mainly because of its shape/character, have you any photos of your layout, from what I can see it looks very good although you would have to post it up on the Layouts thread, I'm sure it will be well received.

cheers

Peter A L

Thanks Peter, yes the first box is Blackrod. I will try to get some photos up of the layout. Just got to work out how and will post some there. When you say "Layouts" thread, where and in what section would that be? This site is so big its daunting to a newby...lol...Cheers, Gav.

Edited by Gavdownunder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just finished this scratch-built model of Grindleford box on the Hope Valley line.

It's built completely from styrene apart from the windows which are brass etch.

post-17302-0-64564600-1470352002_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-76315800-1470351999_thumb.jpg

It includes scratch-built interior details, including a Midland pattern lever-frame:

post-17302-0-90401100-1470352031_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-66421800-1470352033_thumb.jpg

The scale is 4mm.

Al.

• Like 7

I'm only a recently joined member here and I was prompted to post here on my favourite railway subjects of Signalling and Boxes. A model I built some years ago of Blackrod Junction Signal Box in 4mm winning an award at my local British modellers (BRMA) competition. Made from styrene and card combined. The brickwork was made using the PC and printed out for the that red/purple colour. Windows were made from styrene strip. Includes interior details. When installed on my layout it was renamed for the station - Wellingford.

attachicon.gif100_1058.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP7701.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP1267.JPG

Wow fantastic to see the Blackrod box, spent many years near that box spotting.

• 2 months later...

Heres one I made earlier based on a Hornby Kit

Parc Ddu Signal Box

The second is one I hope to produce by 3D printing. The image below shows the 3D virtual model so far

Chirk Signal Cabin

Edited by 81E

• 2 years later...