The Model Signal box portfolio

Hi Jon,

Have no idea, the pictures I have are not to great as they show the box at distance but took for granted they would be standard LYR type from start to finish?

Here is a close up of one of my first Exhibition layout Shawbridge, the box is was constructed using the picture and drawing from the LYR platform magazine Waterhouse cabin. 4mm

the brickwork on this box was individually laid on to represent the correct pattern.

shawbridge2ndbatch006-1.jpg

cheers

Peter

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see the resussitation of this thread. Since it last appeared, I have completed the Midland box for 'Callow Lane'. This is a modified Ratio plastic kit, with etched windows and a scratchbuilt interior (with modified Smiths etched levers and a scratchbuilt Midland lever frame):

post-57-0-52602400-1326559263.jpg

post-57-0-43444100-1326559239.jpg

More interior detail plus lighting was added after this photo was taken:

post-57-0-81533700-1326559002.jpg

• Like 12

A few more.

Little Weighton Distant started life as a Ratio kit, etched arm, fittings and ladder added.

Bullcroft Jct, all brass and usual etches. The other two are much the same, except, what on the real signal would be a cast iron bracket is fabricated from Plasticard. Mick.

post-702-0-86146700-1326635461_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-94841600-1326635499_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-85896100-1326635570_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-37139300-1326635598_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A North Eastern Southern division one from me. Built many years ago when I was nowt but a lad, built from plasticard, D&S locking room windows and Wills interior. It's a bit battered now but I still quite like it. The layout it was built for never happened and since then I've only built Northern and Central division layouts. I'm quite happy looking at it on the shelf though.

Is that Signalman Nicholson on the steps?

post-7104-0-47715000-1326650962.jpg

post-7104-0-91820800-1326650971.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Paul, a very nice job. A great pity no one makes proper "Garden Wall" bond plastic brick sheet. See attached picture. Best Wishes, Mick.

I asked a 'Manufacturer' about garden wall bond once and the curt reply I got was that railway buildings weren't built that way...

• Like 3

Mick,

English garden wall bond, that's why I had to lay bricks individually on the Waterhouse box to get the right pattern for the Smith and Yardly LYR box on the Shaw Bridge photo

cheers

Peter

Yes Pete, you are only a "Young Un" and you have time to hand scribe your bricks. At my age, I'm hoping to complete the layout before I'm in "My Box". Best Wishes, Mick.

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

I don't think I will be doin too many buildings with hand laid bricks, I know Pendon do it this way but it doesn't matter too much if it takes 100's of hours but for me time is the issue, signals are top Mick.

cheers

Peter

Dunster box GWR 4mm

dunstersignalboxdunsterlinesidehut015-1.jpg

dunstersignalboxdunsterlinesidehut016-1.jpg

dunstersignalboxdunsterlinesidehut018-1.jpg

• Like 4

For BG box the group did discuss if for a key building whether the incorrect english bond would be OK; we decided from three feet or so it was fine! The biggest issue is that embossed plastic sheets have mortar (sp?) courses which are too wide really.

Hi James,

I know what you mean and as you say if viewed from a resonable distance its not too bad, the only other alternative is to scribe the plastic ala Geoff Kent style, which i had to do with Berwick but in 7mm scale.

If that be the case then the best method is to scribe the majority of the walls in the flat befor fixing together then sribing in the corners once it is put together, which works a treat with carefull planing.

It may be worth baring in mind that the darker the mortar the narrower the gaps become when viewed, :-)

cheers

Peter

Is that Signalman Nicholson on the steps?

No, but it could be my late father. Mick.

That's a very atmospheric shot Mick and very well lit.

Can I ask how you and other signalboxers make the hand rails that go around the window cleaning platforms? Brid South had them attatched to the window frames and I guess you'd just have to hold on with one hand whilst washing the windows with the other. In todays health and saftey conscious world, you're not allowed on on them I guess.....

Brid Quays were slightly safer in that the rails were at the outer edge of the platform so at least you could lean against them whilst washing the windows. These are the type I hope to try and model.

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers.

Sean.

Dear Sean, attached a rarther poor view of the NERlys way of fixing handrails to the later "S4" design. As you can see the stanchion bolts trough the walkway bracket.

Gylberdyke had the handrail screwed direct to the cabin as per Bridlington South. I cleaned the windows many a time and I never fell off. Never mind "Elf's and Snot", If I had been daft enough to let go, it would have been my own fault. Best Wishes, Mick.

post-702-0-74868400-1326706812_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's a very atmospheric shot Mick and very well lit.

Cheers.Sean.

Thanks for kind comments re the Springbank North interior view. I took it with a "Seven and a Tanner" box camera about a week before the box closed.

If you have been following my H&B Signalbox thread, you may recognise the chair seen in the far right corner. When Springbank West closed in November 1964 one of the signalmen carried it down the line the 600 yards or so between the two boxes.

• Like 1