The Model Signal box portfolio

Here are a couple of Highland boxes; both of the McKenzie & Holland form (Gravy Train did not mention it, but I think there was a Highland box earlier but this was built by Duttons instead?).

Firstly is the east box:

post-7769-0-08367600-1328741622_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-85564700-1328741585_thumb.jpg

And then the rather more camera shy west box:

post-7769-0-88267700-1328741794_thumb.jpg

Neither model by me I am afraid, they were built by Peter Bond and if one of the well known magazines actually get around to printing it, you will find a great feature on making a bigger version of these published soon. He is very talented as these pictures show these boxes bigger than they actually are!

The Highland is quoted as having standard box designs. Actually this seems not to be really true, although they did have a strong family likeness. These are the north and south boxes from Killiecrankie - but mirror inverted.

• Like 7

Hi Mark,

lovely signal box and full of character, very nice model.

Don't know about the Duttons Highland box or i havn't understood the sentence :-)

Peter

Sorry if I was writing jibberish - I will expand...........

The Highland Railway tended to purchase their boxes and indeed the rest of their signal equipment from the Worcester based firm of McKenzie & Holland. So typically their boxes looked like this one at Achnasheen http://www.signalbox...nasheenwest.php.

However, they occassionally went to Duttons who had quite different windows and they looked like this one at Rogart http://www.signalbox...rogartsouth.php or this one at Georgemas Jct http://www.signalbox...gemasnorth.php. The latter looks quite like yours on page 4 of this thread?

Edited by Portchullin Tatty

• RMweb Gold

Neither model by me I am afraid, they were built by Peter Bond and if one of the well known magazines actually get around to printing it, you will find a great feature on making a bigger version of these published soon. He is very talented as these pictures show these boxes bigger than they actually are!

I thought I recognised those boxes!

Ian

The Highland Rly used signalling equipment from both M&H and Duttons, the later eventualy being taken over by M&H. Best Wishes, Mick.

I did not know that!

They occassionally used Saxby & Farmer equipment too (Kyle for example was all Saxby) but as far as I know they did not use any Saxby type boxes.

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from a day trip to ireland and had a chance to wander round the area where Church Road signal Box is, close to North Wall in Dublin. Good to see some of the old Irish railways still about as both mainline stations are now just full of DMU's and not easy to photograph due to the ticket barriers.

post-1557-0-42661800-1329001149_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Roundhouse,

An intresting photo and prototype, thanks for posting, would make for a nice model.

cheers

JSW, great to see your model on here,the new with the old makes for intresting comparisons :-)

cheers

Peter

keep posting

Edited by Gravy Train

Hi All,

Here are some pictures of my first building for my future layout. It is built using the Wills Kit as a basis with a Slaters brick base and Plasticard additions. It is based upon Etchingham box, which will fit in with the planned SECR location of the layout.

post-7006-0-12549000-1329153393.jpg

post-7006-0-34017200-1329153412.jpg

post-7006-0-75839600-1329153425.jpg

I have a Wills interior kit to finish it off. Overall I am quite pleased with the progress so far.

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 6

I need to finish a couple more signals; then they and the book will become a blog topic! And yes, the book is very useful, Mick. I'm glad I was able to find a copy at last.

I understand the book is still avalable from the publisher, who have a good stock in hand. If so, contridicts why secondhand copies on "E Bay and Amazon" etc are fetching £37 a piece. Best Wishes, Mick.