The Model Signal box portfolio

Hi Mick,

Had a busy day today Southport and Mother in laws Mothers day and all that and returning home to find I have been logged in all day :-)

Fantastic photos there Mick would make a super model,the nearest I have seen in model form of something slightly similar to that was Ken Ball's swing bridge in the Railway Modeller.

cheers

Peter

Yes, the bridge and signal box would make an interesting and unusual model. Pressuming 4mm scale, about 5 feet would be required, that would be longer then many a shunting plank.

Possably, its counterpart, 30 mile to the east in Hull, could be smaller alternative. Here the signal box is land based, the fancy brickwork and hipped roof etc would make an interesting model. Thanks to "Adolf" it was rebuilt during the last war and is now a very plain looking structure complete with a flat roof. Mick.

post-702-0-69722800-1332138421_thumb.jpg

Yes, the bridge and signal box would make an interesting and unusual model. Pressuming 4mm scale, about 5 feet would be required, that would be longer then many a shunting plank.

Possably, its counterpart, 30 mile to the east in Hull, could be smaller alternative. Here the signal box is land based, the fancy brickwork and hipped roof etc would make an interesting model. Thanks to "Adolf" it was rebuilt during the last war and is now a very plain looking structure complete with a flat roof. Mick.

Do you have a photo of the bridge and it's current signalbox?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick, I think you will agree its been a bit quiet on here lately, come on guys more signal boxes, I have the shakes :-)

That building is just superb Mick and crying out to be modelled.

Here is Pool west box in 4mm scale: constructed a few years ago, note the change in brick colour were the box was extended.

Poolewstbox6021-1.jpg

Poolewstbox6012-1.jpg

cheers

• Like 8

Wow,

That,s quick Mick, and very nice to see your box on here, I particularly like the brick colouring, very convincing especially the lighter shaded area to the rear very good.

The beutey of doing as you will as oposed to requirements. all tho I am more and more being left to my own devices of late which is very enjoyable.

cheers

Peter

Carlisle No5 box,another blast from ther past.

The signalbox was fitted out with a full interior and with the correctly positioned levers etc.

sorry about the poor quality of the photo, its the only one I have.

daveslayout015-2-1.jpg

• Like 10

caw blimey, impressive in its own right but what a hint at the layout that should accompany it!

Btw has anyone ever done, or got the information to do Darlington South, Northallerton or S&D Crossing? I have half an inclination to do a standalone model of one of these.

Michnick - how do you did you do the downpipes on "SallyField Jct SB"? I like the way the curve forms round the corner, is it wire?

Edited by twa_dogs

caw blimey, impressive in its own right but what a hint at the layout that should accompany it!

Btw has anyone ever done, or got the information to do Darlington South, Northallerton or S&D Crossing? I have half an inclination to do a standalone model of one of these.

Michnick - how do you did you do the downpipes on "SallyField Jct SB"? I like the way the curve forms round the corner, is it wire?

Gravy, as always a very impressive piece of work.

Two Dogs, the down pipes are bent wire, the "Joints" were turned on the lathe and then soldered in place.

Re the signal boxes you ask about, I have, or can probably get photographs. Contact me direct micknich2003@yahoo.co.uk Best Wishes, Mick.

Hi Thanks for the kind comments,

Here is Carlisle No4 but with the fthe tops of the finials missing, this was obviously to go with the No5 box above and as shown also had an interior with the correctly positioned levers, I have added some close up shots which were kindly photographed by john Brighton.

SBNo4Model-1.jpg

N04InteriorModel3-1.jpg

N04InteriorModel4-1.jpg

• Like 12

Carlisle No5 box,another blast from ther past.

The signalbox was fitted out with a full interior and with the correctly positioned levers etc.

sorry about the poor quality of the photo, its the only one I have.

daveslayout015-2-1.jpg

I may well have the box diagram for this one tucked away somewhere.

A page or two back I put up a picture of a ex Great Northern Rly "Pendant" bracket signal under construction. Today, and best part of ten years on I again cought up with the signals and my mate's layout. Mick.

Lovely stuff Mick! Particularly like the co-acting one..very lofty!

Jon F.

Lovely stuff Mick! Particularly like the co-acting one..very lofty!

Jon F.

Jon, thanks for your kind comments.

I remember making the "Sky Arm". I don't now recall the height, but I do remember filling a half joint in two lenghts of bar, rivetting them and then finaly silver soldering them together before I filed the taper. Mick.

• 3 weeks later...

A few attached.

Some nice photos there Mick! When did it ceased to me manned continuously?

Tell you what, the p-way on the bridge now is superb! Probably would count as a prize length... :lol: