The Model Signal box portfolio

Very nice - but not strictly L&SWR, as it was not opened until 1928 :-)

And, indeed, looking at it carefully, one can see the Southern influence creeping in to a design that was clearly inspired by what the LSWR had been doing. There weren't huge numbers of early Southern boxes, but they all tended to have this mix of old and new despite being very different in detail - it gives them a lot of character.

And, indeed, looking at it carefully, one can see the Southern influence creeping in to a design that was clearly inspired by what the LSWR had been doing. There weren't huge numbers of early Southern boxes, but they all tended to have this mix of old and new despite being very different in detail - it gives them a lot of character.

Hi Becasse,

cheers for the informative comments, much appreciated.

Pete

This is fantastic, so much inspiration for someone returning to the hobby after about 45 years in the wilderness! Beautiful models!

Hi rilsky

thanks for the kind comments, you may be intrested in Carlisle, if you type here at 'Carlisle buildings' there are some models I did for Carlisle Station and environs.

Pete

Lovely

Could you detail the paint sequencing on the bricks , I’ve akeays struggled to paint realistic brick

Hi, the brickwork is Southeastern finecast embossed sheets.

Ffirstly, I paint the brickwork with what I think is right for the mortar colour, in this case Humbrol no64.

Using Matt paints, once I’m satisfied it’s dry, I then use a flat ended brush and use Humbrol no70 brick red and apply it to the brick sheet at a 45degree angle, semi dry/wet, a couple of coats usually enough to cover convincingly.

I then dry brush to weather up.

It is important to know that for a darker brick colour, to use a darker mortar colour, no the other way around by using darker brick.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...