Mk2 coaches numbering and working patterns

ess1uk

• RMweb Gold

Ah so you could get a blue grey coach with NSE flashes and the line logo?

I just thought they were on the full NSE livery stock.

Couldn’t find a decent picture but if this is what you mean?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-586-0-14617500-1342278182.jpg

It’s a Kernow limited edition.

Griff

The West of England logo was found on the brake end bodysides of the BFKs, no where else.

If it's relevant, they were also applied to at least 50024, 033 & 045.

Edit: and 50037. Just stumbled on this whilst researching something else:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d33206hg/6337711657/

Edited by railtec-models
  • Informative/Useful 2

Don't have any pics but if you search on YouTube for Waterloo Exeter vids from the early 1990s, there's various glimpses of them.

the best i can find is

and 

but you dont really see much of the coaches

Edited by Shed
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi!

did any mk2b receive scotrail ? ie executive with the blue stripe instead of red. I have the Lima mk2b TSOT executive buffet, which I know is fiction.

Under the mk2c label, would painting the top dark grey in provincial blue be accurate and change the red stripe to light blue?

Also how come the mk2b coaches were retired early compared to mk2a? were there non standard components?

9 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Hi!

did any mk2b receive scotrail ? ie executive with the blue stripe instead of red. I have the Lima mk2b TSOT executive buffet, which I know is fiction.

Under the mk2c label, would painting the top dark grey in provincial blue be accurate and change the red stripe to light blue?

I'm afraid not, out of all the pressure ventilated Mk2 types, only some Mk2z (the original Mk2s) received ScotRail Sector livery.

10 minutes ago, muddy water said:

Also how come the mk2b coaches were retired early compared to mk2a? were there non standard components?

The Harris Mark 2 book states that management were never very happy with either 2b or 2c coaches and wanted rid of them from the mid-1980s. As it was, going into the 1990s only 2a and 2c were refurbished.

Issues included - unreliable lighting, unsatisfactory heating, issues with battery charging, difficulties in repairing toilet floor pedal mechanisms among others

• Informative/Useful 2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

A quick question....

While looking at Waterloo to Exeter Class 50/33 hauled services I often see what i think is a Mk2d FK in blue/grey amongst a NSE Mk2a/b/c rake. First question is it a Mk2d and i don't suppose anyone knows it's number? (I know of 13575 which appeared in NSE so could be that one in an earlier guise).

Thanks

Will

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

A quick question....

While looking at Waterloo to Exeter Class 50/33 hauled services I often see what i think is a Mk2d FK in blue/grey amongst a NSE Mk2a/b/c rake. First question is it a Mk2d and i don't suppose anyone knows it's number? (I know of 13575 which appeared in NSE so could be that one in an earlier guise).

Thanks

Will

13563 and 13575 were transferred to Laira, from Bounds Green, in the 4 weeks ending 22 June 1991. There is a photo of 13575 wearing blue and grey in a Waterloo - Exeter rake in the 1992 Platform 5 Combined (and I assume the 1992 Platform 5 Coaching Stock Pocket Book).

They were subsequently transferred to Old Oak Common 4 weeks ending 12 October 1991, along with all the remaining Laira based Waterloo - Exeter coaching stock. Eastleigh kept its allocation, of six coach sets,  which were meant for the Salisbury services but invariably ended up on some Exeter trains.

There is no record in The Railway Observer up to December 1991 of when 13575 became NSE dark blue but looking at the 1992 Platform 5 Combined it is already marked as being in NSE livery (dated January 1992).

The earliest photo I can find of 13575 in NSE dark blue is below. The problem being that any photo of a Mk2D FK in blue and grey could be of 13563.

Following photo copyright Richard Norris, 23rd March 1992

In the revised Network South East livery and you could almost smell the paint ....note the SCN HEA's in the background....47702 (D1947) St Cuthbert 08-30 Exeter-Waterloo Yeovil Jnc 21-03-1992

Edited by Flood
Edited after Simon Bendall's post below
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

It would be 13563, which was the other regular Mk.2d FK alongside 13575 and remained in blue/grey. My pic from c7/92.

13563.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

It would be 13563, which was the other regular Mk.2d FK alongside 13575 and remained in blue/grey. My pic from c7/92.

13563.jpg

That is brilliant. Many thanks for your help! I best get on with having a bash at modelling it :)

• Like 1