LMS Stanier composites and corridors

bob hughes60

I was recently given a mixture of LMS coaches, Mainline, Hornby Margate and Hornby Railroad.

I roamed the Wigan show looking for brake 3rds to make up rakes and found a very interesting China made detailed coach which I know realise is split from R2985 the Duchess at Carlisle set.

I used the brake 3rd to detail other brake 3rds using HMRS transfers for example the non smoking and smoking decals.

However the 2 detailed pictures of this set, at Ehattons and Rails of Sheffield do not give me the same info for corridor 1st and 3rds and especially 1st/3rd composites.

It am aware that the railroad coaches do not reflect a prototype as such.

I was hoping somebody on this group may be able to give me, or steer to me to a source of this info.

I have tried several internet searches but with no success.

Many thanks

Bob Hughes

Hi Bob

I would suggest that you might look at the website for Comet Models. They market a comprehensive range of kits for LMS coaches (among others) and I am merely a satisfied customer of theirs.

Their website contains pictures of all the ex LMS coaches they supply and you may find the pictures and accompanying descriptions useful in your quest.

You are quite right in that the old Hornby LMS coaches are not an accurate model, being a 60' composite squeezed down onto a 57' underframe, although the accompanying 57' brake 3rd is better. The old Airfix Period 3 60' compos and 57' brake 3rds are better still (if you can get them second hand) and the Mainline Period 1 57' compos and brake 3rds are really pretty good (and still sold by Bachmann today). Also worthwhile is the old Airfix Period 2 68' restaurant car (still marketed today by Hornby). And there was also a rather rare 57' open 3rd which Replica Railways sold for a while, but hard to find (I only have one!)

Hornby's recent period 3 57' 1st, 3rd and brake 3rd corridors are very good, but pricey and almost too well detailed (fragile) even if you can find them, but it sounds like you might have landed on one.

Look out for the new porthole stock (late LMS pattern vehicles) to be introduced by Bachmann sometime this year. Don't know whether this is in period for you.

Hope this helps

Regards

Terry Davis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Are you just looking for which were smoking cpmpartments etc? If so, there are sketch plans for most in "The LMS Coach" in all it's guises. If you can post which coaches you need the info for, I can look it up.

Kim

• 2 years later...

If I could revive this thread?

I'm looking to buy some  recent Hornby Stanier  1st, 3rd, and Brake/3rd Corridor coaches. They seem to come from Hornby R2907 (Days of Red and Gold), and R2985 (Duchess at Carlisle) sets. I have tried most of the usual online sites, but they seem to be all sold out. I have one set of the R2985 coaches (1st, 3rd, and Brake/3rd) and they look very good, and run very well. I would like to buy a set from each pack, so I can run a decent rake. Does anyone know where I might be able to get them?

It maybe a bit of a forlorn hope as they date from the end of 2011, but I live in hope.

Bob King.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I am tempted to get this

http://www.ehattons.com/98089/Hornby_R3299_Going_Home_train_pack_70th_Anniversary_of_the_end_of_WWII_with_Black_5_4_6_0_5/StockDetail.aspx

partly for the rolling stock as much as the loco, but before I take the plunge I was wondering about the coaches in the set:

'Going Home' train pack - 70th Anniversary of the end of WWII with Black 5 4-6-0 5156 in LMS Black and 3 x LMS Period 3 Coaches - Limited Edition

Does anyone have these coaches, are they up to much - I'm guessing they're not the same as the Railroad LMS Period 3s that are retailing for around £18?

Any thoughts?

all the best,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

They look like the newer Hornby version. Which I would not mind some myself but would need to be in BR livery. And normally in the £30+ mark. From ebay. What I've seen lately. Has for detail I can't say how good they are for certain not having any.

Archived