Ruby Road. Somewhere in the Southwest.

ess1uk

yes after trying the Blog, I'm finally starting a layout thread for my 2 part 00 layout that will hopefull be going into full build phase anytime soon. (Slowly).
Plenty to learn and research in the meantime.

This is evolution, not revolution, it will feature a roundy round as per the Hornby Trakmat for the use of my 7 year old daughter and off the sidings will hopefully be a Speedlink yard where i can play (funds permitting) as I have gone wagon buying mad since getting interested in modelling again.

Ruby Road is based somewhere in the South West (but a fictional location) so i can use SR and WR stock that seems to be what i have most of from when i was growing up.
For the same reason will be BR blue around 1987ish as that's when i left school and trainspotting and model railways took a back seat due to starting college and career.
Although i did some modelling at college it was not very good, and not having the interweb around for easy access to research pictures made weathering realistically more difficult, black and white photos in books and magazines. I did at least try (see the few bad pictures in my gallery), but the locos will hopefully be getting some better quality pictures taken soon.

[attachment=143585:IMG_2783.JPG]
picture of the roundy round in temp set up on kitchen floor.
this trainset was a bargain at around £40 from Argos clearance store in Corby.
most of my other stock is from when i was a kid or bought second hand recently, see my blog.

most stuff i have is ready to run straight from the box but I'm adding details to the stock slowly as confidence grows, starting with my growing collection of wagons first though as they are cheap second hand and don't want to ruin a loco yet!

Trains I want to be able to run

• MoD trains to and from Salisbury Plain/Marchwood with my vans.
  • the 50s from Waterloo and Paddington with my mk2 coaches (almost correct rakes).
  • 33s on Wales runs with the mk1 and mk2 coaches (more required)
  • 56 or 47 or 33 with the Yeoman PGAs
  • Fawley oil trains with the TTAs
  • engineers trains with ballast and spoil wagons 
  • Speedlink Severn Tunnel to Eastleigh area
  • fertiliser trains 
  • a HST now and again. OK rule 1 applies

I will be looking for help and advice as i go so feel free to chip in.
Thanks for looking.

IMG_2783.JPG

Edited by ess1uk
Thread update
  • Like 4

Rolling stock so far available:

Class 33 numbers 6550 and 33055

50043 Eagle

47378 and 47490 Bristol Bath Road

43125, 43010 and 43002 Top of the Pops

post-11924-0-99985900-1325497780.jpg

picture shows 47490, 6550, 33055 and 50043 lined up on the board that will become TMD

With more to appear when liberated from Dad's loft!

A large collection of various wagons and coaches fills what little siding space there is.

Working on a track plan for the TMD but must have a shed and fuel point with room for 6 locos to park.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 3

now it appears that i can add pictures again here are a couple more

post-11924-0-22456100-1325699231.jpg

the 33s With unweathered PGAs on the unfinished track, a level crossing is going here shortly.

post-11924-0-54445800-1325699286.jpg

working out how much room needed for stabling locos

Want to get 6 on the TMD if decide to go that way.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 3

oh dear,

it appears my bargain second hand mk2b TSO was not so much of a bargain :nono:

post-11924-0-83812600-1325711645.jpg

seems that not only has it had passengers put in it, but it looks as if someone has swapped the correct B4 bogies for incorrect BR1 type.

oh well

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at my Lima 50 and thinking I need to sort the front end out.

post-11924-0-96380400-1327678061_thumb.jpg

The multiple working gear and ETH needs painting orange, but what shade should it be?

Also, when did 50s get a large head lamp?

sure it should have one fitted if in large logo?

also the headcode box would have marker lights by this time?

any ideas?

post-11924-0-83815000-1327678099_thumb.jpg

I also like the idea of a new roof fan so having never attempted this before is it easy to do with limited modelling skills?

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On my travels I often see small huts on the lineside that have seen better days.

post-11924-0-69987300-1328622240.jpg

I know some of them would be plate layers huts or lamp huts or similar but often they are miles from anywhere.

I'm guessing they are there for just that reason when there were more on the payroll and before railway staff became issued with vans to shelter in?

When did their use begin to decline?

Most I see are concrete but do see the odd wooden one, though they are usually in far worse condition.

Most just seem full of Pway rubbish or have trees growing through them now.

i've been wondering what style of buildings to use for Ruby Road, Western or Southern?

what says south west best?

Is the Ratio hut a fairly generic version of these huts or were there big regional differences?

i've got a couple of generic Hornby huts but not really sure if even with weathering they will be any good

post-11924-0-46197900-1327960988.jpg

If fact not even sure what they are supposed to be.

Plan is a lamp hut by my signal box and thinking a Peco lamp hut and distressing it.

Also I will be getting a Hornby R8675 relay room to go next to the level crossing.

post-11924-0-05428800-1328625191.jpg

relay room next to Three Horse Shoes Signal Box in Turves.

Any other ideas on which huts would best fit with my area and time?

i'm thinking i may go with the Roxey Mouldings Platelayers and Tool hut set

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking at my Lima 50 and thinking I need to sort the front end out.

post-11924-0-96380400-1327678061_thumb.jpg

The multiple working gear needs painting orange, but what shade should it be?

Also, when did 50s get a large head lamp?

sure it should have one fitted if in large logo?

also the headcode box would have marker lights by this time?

any ideas?

post-11924-0-83815000-1327678099_thumb.jpg

I also like the idea of a new roof fan so having never attempted this before is it easy to do with limited modelling skills?

i think the MU jumpers/socket may be the same shade of orange as the ETH jumpers

the 50s gained the headlamp as part of the refurbishment. i think the first 7 were in rail blue, the rest came out in large-logo, so yes you need the headlamp.

your photo shows the louvred area where (i think) the original air filtration at no.2 end was, this was removed during the refurb and the area plated over. the bodyside window next to the three grilles on the secondmans side was replaced by a grille and the sandbox filler points at each corner would be filled in.

headcode box on refurb would be plated flush, painted grey with white lenses in black grommets

from no.1 end: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5846238643/in/set-72157626751407866

from no.2 end: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5846728282/in/set-72157626751407866

note, individual locos may have different livery details at different times, so get a pic of the one you want!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

oh well i wanted a new one anyway, but the old one can have a bit of detailing i guess

Headlamp, head code box etc.

A part refurb.

my railway, my rules etc......

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 1

how's the rest of the railway coming along?

and how'd you manage to get your daughter interested?

Mine's only one and in training, hoping to take her to Stafford today! :drink_mini:

here is the result of Ruby's driving yesterday !

post-11924-0-57942300-1328467276.jpg

Good job they were empty TTAs! :)

i've been on the rails since 2003 so its all she knows, she sees other railway vans and says "that's where you work Daddy"

still no proper home for the layout, so it only comes out once in a while until i make room for a proper board and glue it all down once and for all.

still in the research/playing trains stage before the real modelling begins

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 3

Have you detailed/repainted one of the Class 33's? The Lima model can look half decent with a bit of work I think.

both my class 33s are second hand and i have done nothing to them yet, they are as i got them.

i do intend to get them sorted, there was an article in issue 49 of Hornby magazine for a £20 project to do them.

i will as i like a roof fan you can see through.

Not sure if I'm brave enough to do too much cutting though.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

both my class 33s are second hand and i have done nothing to them yet, they are as i got them.

i do intend to get them sorted, there was an article in issue 49 of Hornby magazine for a £20 project to do them as i like roof fan you can see through.

I detailed an old Lima 33, nothing fancy, but it was definately worth the effort.

• Like 2