Ruby Road. Somewhere in the Southwest.

ess1uk

Nothing to report over Xmas

Noticed that my blog is still getting viewed despite lack of recent entries there too

I hope to have something to report shortly, however I’m still looking at wagons and renumbering mk2 coaches.

Almost the same as the lack of progress of Beresford Junction.

One of these days...

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m currently looking at wagons for an engineering train.

I’ve got a couple of Grampus and some seacows but wondering what else would be running around the southern in 1986/1987??

OBA / OCA, etc  Here are some going through Didcot in 2004, so they would have been in Railfreight Red / Grey in 85 / 86 ish.

post-9335-0-37932300-1516543817_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

You would also have Dogfish, Catfish, Sealions, Seacows, Rudd, and Carp etc. Hornby make some nice Rudd and Carp.

Rudd

Clam

Tope

3 pack

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/wagons-coaches/wagon-packs/rudd-clam-tope-departmental-wagon-three-pack-british-rail-era-8-9.html

Looks good

possibly too new for 1986/87

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

would they be "dutch" livery by 1987?

Possibly

Looking at old photos You see wagons in black, Gulf Red, and green liveries, often in the same train; engineering stock didn't often go near a paint-brush.

The so-called 'Dutch' livery appeared in the early 1980s.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/seacow/h23BAB886

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 1

I’m currently looking at wagons for an engineering train.

I’ve got a couple of Grampus and some seacows but wondering what else would be running around the southern in 1986/1987??

As well as the sealions and seacows and grampus the Southern also had a fleet of dace and crab for stone traffic from Meldon Quarry.

Both types were conversions so I don't think available in mode form, but might be wrong(?).

Dace were former shoc-hoods, with the shoc gear removed, crab were former lamprey with new welded sides.

Have a look at Paul Bartletts site. 

Also some crab and dace in the background here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33106/27805044830/in/photolist-nxLaan-6YDiyS-6YDjb3-dauaCR-odAX5d-of2ktK-osW4fU-Jn387E-otsPvy-oeULP8-ownnPP-oeU5o8-8edBRQ-69x29b-vNiSYG-x4uWox-wZVG37 

and here is a dace

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruvaboy/8584368493/in/photolist-FgREEW-nxLaan-fxxGCM-fwUBYY-dNB3L7-fw6kfn-6974MA-fx6TVV-fvN4eY-fw6kcM-e5z8Fk-fxLM4y-fxFkTH-dauaCR-fxqosn-fxqovF-fwnpFJ-fxxGz2-fwnpHC-fvxqna-fx6TXz-fw4gVZ-fvEgzG-fx6TRR-fvoatG-fxFkVP-fvgjv9-fxFkXV-fxxGAx-fx3hzW-fw6k8z-fvxqox-fvoars-fwzmZh-fvEgwC-fvxqkP-fvoFe7-fxLM2E-fvEgB5-fxxGxz-fvgjqC-fvgjso-Pv1kNn-qtgKjp-od3Tqy-qt4wkU-zAmVwC-zm3CJJ-r72aMp

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Martin.

The Clam Tope and Rudd mentioned above are a bit late for 86. I thick they came out 89 90. The Crab wagon is I think available as a kit.

I also don't remember seeing Catfish Dogfish and Marmaid wagons in the Eastleigh area on ballast work either though did see some Dogfish down at EH depot presumeaby after repair work.

shark ballast ploughs where also banned due ro the juice rail.

You could add a Whale ballast hopper to your Seacows, available as a kit from Cambrian.

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Martin.

The Clam Tope and Rudd mentioned above are a bit late for 86. I thick they came out 89 90.

The Crab wagon is I think available as a kit.

I also don't remember seeing Catfish Dogfish and Marmaid wagons in the Eastleigh area on ballast work either though did see some Dogfish down at EH depot presumeaby after repair work.

shark ballast ploughs where also banned due ro the juice rail.

You could add a Whale ballast hopper to your Seacows, available as a kit from Cambrian.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter

I found this http://www.ltsv.com/downloads/w_profile_045.pdf

which says 

"Converted 1985-1991 at various works"

so they would be very new in my time period

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The ones with the plain white gangway door should be mk2z (or just mk2, i.e. they came before the mk2a). They were the same end doors as on the mk1.

I think they generally slid open to the right, except at toilet ends when they were hinged.

Re: the spring colours, IIRC the normal use springs on B4s were red, heavier-duty ones on B5s were blue - of course they would only be visible soon after overhaul, they got dirty quite quickly

I’ve been looking at pictures of bogies on Mk2s to see if I could spot what colours the springs would be. Found a few that were red but no blue.

Painting some of mine red on the cleaner coaches and not bothering on coaches that are weathered.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been looking at pictures of bogies on Mk2s to see if I could spot what colours the springs would be. Found a few that were red but no blue.

Painting some of mine red on the cleaner coaches and not bothering on coaches that are weathered.

keefer, on 12 Nov 2016 - 20:38, said:snapback.png

The ones with the plain white gangway door should be mk2z (or just mk2, i.e. they came before the mk2a). They were the same end doors as on the mk1.

I think they generally slid open to the right, except at toilet ends when they were hinged.

Re: the spring colours, IIRC the normal use springs on B4s were red, heavier-duty ones on B5s were blue - of course they would only be visible soon after overhaul, they got dirty quite quickly

Hi ess1uk Interesting...!

I've just been going through my 3 billion photos :no:  I can only find MK3 with Yellow Springs, MK2 with Red Springs, and the only one I have come across with Blue Springs are on MK1 Test Barrier Coach... interesting, not sure if it helps or not, I'll keep looking at my photos if I can find any MK2's with Blue Springs, I'm on a mission to find Blue springs on a MK2 ha-ha.

Interesting 'keefer' said about the springs colours, I've leant something.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

keefer, on 12 Nov 2016 - 20:38, said:snapback.png

Hi ess1uk Interesting...!

I've just been going through my 3 billion photos :no:  I can only find MK3 with Yellow Springs, MK2 with Red Springs, and the only one I have come across with Blue Springs are on MK1 Test Barrier Coach... interesting, not sure if it helps or not, I'll keep looking at my photos if I can find any MK2's with Blue Springs, I'm on a mission to find Blue springs on a MK2 ha-ha.

Interesting 'keefer' said about the springs colours, I've leant something.

Regards

Jamie

think that mk2 generator vans used with HSTs had B5 bogies which may of had blue springs?

how's the coaches coming along?

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...