Front loader in 1:76

Tim Hale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello

I fitted a loader from the Airfix JCB kit to an Oxford yellow MF 135. It resides on our Towcester  layout set in 1977. Took about an hour to do including making the loader mountings and painting. I also used one of the Airfix JCBs in the coal yard on my old Bedlam Heath layout minus the back-actor. Set in 1980 so it was probably affordable by then.

Cheers

George

Well, look what Oxford have just announced!

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/oxford-diecast-january-2018-announcements?utm_source=Communicator&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=imageLink38&utm_campaign=A+surprise+announcement+by+Oxford+Rail&_ccCt=CCMcwRuh0obDylsrSog3G561Awbl_kaTuK2qNnItF7Tx1PcBMOkD7d%7egqpRqXqVn

A few potential candidates here!

I do wish they would have chosen a Hymac 580c as opposed to the newer JCB excavator though, already quite a few of those around and too late for my chosed era. The Hymacs seem to be a much overlooked make and were really the main machines until the Japanese units like Hitachi started to appear.

TTFN,

BenWORPhoto7.jpgWORPhoto8.jpg

Edited by synthnut
  • Like 2

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/oxford-diecast-january-2018-announcements?utm_source=Communicator&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=imageLink38&utm_campaign=A+surprise+announcement+by+Oxford+Rail&_ccCt=CCMcwRuh0obDylsrSog3G561Awbl_kaTuK2qNnItF7Tx1PcBMOkD7d%7egqpRqXqVn

I do wish they would have chosen a Hymac 580c as opposed to the newer JCB excavator though, already quite a few of those around and too late for my chosed era. The Hymacs seem to be a much overlooked make and were really the main machines until the Japanese units like Hitachi started to appear.

TTFN,

Ben

Some interesting models to come, including one for which I have pleaded for years - the Austin A40 Somerset. I really hoped that Oxford would get it right, but I think the grille is too squared off  at the "shoulders", the real ones having a continuous curve. They have also listed the 1/43 AC Aceca as an Aston Martin !

TTFN,

Ben

Hymacs (made by a subsidiary of Powell-Dyffryn in South Wales) seemed to be BR's preference for many years. I did notice Oxford had announced they were going to do one of the very early tracked JCBs; did BR use these at all, I wonder? 

• Like 2

Some interesting models to come, including one for which I have pleaded for years - the Austin A40 Somerset. I really hoped that Oxford would get it right, but I think the grille is too squared off  at the "shoulders", the real ones having a continuous curve. They have also listed the 1/43 AC Aceca as an Aston Martin !

And the 'Commer van' is a BMC J4.

Nice to see some older construction equipment from Oxford.

Would be nice to see a Drott track shovel ,Hymac 580  excavator and a JCB 3C MK11

The JCB 3CX above was introduced in 1980 and this is the first version . Won't look out of place in anything 1980 to present though.

Now for some Extreme Rivet Counting  the  JCB Fordson Major should have four hole front wheels ,

This is a very early 1950s JCB .

The 1957 on Power / Super Majors had  the three hole wheels earlier models had four holes , 

Sure many will point this out when it is put on a layout or maybe not :)

• 3 months later...

This video shows at 2.09 min a  Fordson Major tractor loader unloading a 16 ton coal wagon through the side door .

It is not unlike the latest Oxford release minus the back hoe.

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 3

Just realised the original post was 6 years ago so he's probably found something by now !

But hey ho its an interesting topic ( to me anyway!) and useful info for others hopefully.

Always thought that Corgi Juniors MF was quite a good casting for it's day but maybe a little crude by today's standards.

Never understood why they put a rather big bulldozer blade on it when everyone I ever saw  had a loader bucket on.

The old Matchbox Weatherill loader was a  model seen in many real life coal yards and about the right scale and again a good detail casting for  a pocket money toy  .

post-3430-0-42668900-1528927011_thumb.jpg

post-3430-0-97722600-1528927023_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Always thought that Corgi Juniors MF was quite a good casting for it's day but maybe a little crude by today's standards.

Never understood why they put a rather big bulldozer blade on it when everyone I ever saw  had a loader bucket on.

The old Matchbox Weatherill loader was a  model seen in many real life coal yards and about the right scale and again a good detail casting for  a pocket money toy  .

attachicon.gifDSC04865.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC04869.JPG

The problem with the Matchbox Wetheral is the vastly underscale driver. The Morris J2 pick-up has greater detail than the current Oxford and Corgi offerings, around the rear lights in particular, the current models just make do with a blob of paint.

Matchbox  accuracy and casting details were fantastic then , specially for two bob kids toys :)

Detail on shovel is excellent even the two rivets on each bucket tooth can be seen.

But agree the driver looks odd and why is he wearing a scouts hat ?  

and why did Matchbox put a dog in the MG1100 ? but I digress :)

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am attempting to upgrade  the Matchbox J2 using bits from the Oxford model. I was surprised to discover that the wheelbase of the Matchbox model was  approx. 0.5 mm shorter. Checking with published drawings it appears that the Matchbox one is incorrect in that they have moved the rear axle forward by that ammount. Easily overcome by cutting the corresponding ammount out of the Oxford chassis. Everything else seems to be a very good fit including the glazing. From the front both castings look as if they came from the same mould.

Sounds good please post some pics .

Got some ideas about converting  the Oxford Fordson Major into various construction vehicles   that I am about to start and maybe even finish :)

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 2

There’s a lot of fun to be had upgrading the lesney husky and minix models. Slowly but surely they’re being brought out by Oxford though so the call for them is dwindling.

Can anybody remember a layout in railway modeller a few years ago where many of the road vehicles were exactly that? Think it was a welsh seaside resort? The captions gave lovely descriptions such as ‘rover’s striker jogs along the farm track’ etc.?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sounds good please post some pics .

Got some ideas about converting  the Oxford Fordson Major into various construction vehicles   that I am about to start and maybe even finish :)

Haven't actually started yet, that is apart from removing the chassis from the Matchbox model. The 'donor' incidently was obtained from the Oxford diecast for £1 at a truck rally, they sell off any 'returns' like that, a good source of parts for such conversions. They will have a stand at the Warley show in November.