Hex Frog Juicer queries

• RMweb Gold

Just spent a while under the layout extending and swapping the frog leads.

The problem moves to the new frog with the same symptoms so I guess there is an issue with the Juicer.

Looks like I'll have to buy a replacement, I bought them about 2 years ago, from where I can't remember, not anticipating the slow progress of the layout.

Is there a location where you just require three. If not then just buy a mono juicer to replace the faulty terminal.

Ah. Common thing to call them Hex Frog Juicers as that is just the six turnout board. Done that my self!

I would have said it's a "common mistake" rather than a "common thing".

You seem to have fallen into that trap yourself roundhouse. Tut Tut !!!    :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

On a more serious note though, Tam Valley Depot offer a repair service for boards out of warranty.

I don't know if that support extends to non-US markets.

Best to check with the original UK supplier, or with a Tam Valley Depot stockist like Coastal DCC.

http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/aboutus/repairs.html

http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/tamvalley/

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ron Ron Ron,

With postage to the States (about a fiver) and the repair cost $25 dollars I'll be out of pocket as well as waiting a while, a new replacement is £11 so one's already on order.

Thanks anyway.

The fault is puzzling as I've never heard of any issues with these before. 

I use an NCE powercab, I am wondering if I've got one unit which was old stock and none NCE powercab compatible, I seem to remember there were two version a while back to cope.  

• RMweb Gold

I would have said it's a "common mistake" rather than a "common thing".

You seem to have fallen into that trap yourself roundhouse. Tut Tut !!!    :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

On a more serious note though, Tam Valley Depot offer a repair service for boards out of warranty.

I don't know if that support extends to non-US markets.

Best to check with the original UK supplier, or with a Tam Valley Depot stockist like Coastal DCC.

http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/aboutus/repairs.html

http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/tamvalley/

I was just being diplomatic but it's easy to call them that as its what people recognise even though it's incorrect. If you just talk about frog juicers people think of liquidisers filled with frogs.

.....I use an NCE powercab, I am wondering if I've got one unit which was old stock and none NCE powercab compatible, I seem to remember there were two version a while back to cope.  

Indeed there were two versions originally.

The standard version and a special version for use with the not quite NMRA kosher NCE products.

They have both been replaced by a single range that will work more reliably with the supposedly errant NCE system.

I'm just converting my layout to DCC, all my points have switched frogs using tortoise motors, but I also have 3 crossovers, they originally had dpdt switches to control the polarity of the frogs but now I want to automate things, I'm thinking Frog Juicers, but are there any alternate methods?

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Gold

You need only 2 wires to feed the juicer be it mono dual or hex. The other wires are one from each turnout frog.  They may have been daisy chaining the feeds to the next one hence the four wires but I haven't seen the article

If you are using block detection then each circuit board needs to be in the same block section.

• RMweb Gold

Unless I very mistaken there is a serious error in the wiring diagram for the installation of live crossing/frog diamond and a Frog Juicer in the latest Hornby Magazine.

The article on pages 88 - 91 seems to instruct connecting not only the Frogs./crossing to the juicer but also the running rails 4 connections, I believe this to be incorrect.

I have spoken to the very helpful people at Coastal DCC who confirm my suspicion and only two connections are necessary, no need to double the cost.

It's because the installation has been done by insulating all rails of the crossing, rather than just the 'outside' rails. Maybe not necessary, but playing safe.

Unless I very mistaken there is a serious error in the wiring diagram for the installation of live crossing/frog diamond and a Frog Juicer in the latest Hornby Magazine.

The article on pages 88 - 91 seems to instruct connecting not only the Frogs./crossing to the juicer but also the running rails 4 connections, I believe this to be incorrect.

I have spoken to the very helpful people at Coastal DCC who confirm my suspicion and only two connections are necessary, no need to double the cost.

My diamond crossing has the two frogs connected to two channels of the Juicer and the outer rails connected to the DCC bus. Insulated rail joiners on all (because it forms part of a double junction with two points). 

Archived