Military & Undercliff Model Railway

lost track

The M & U.M.R is a fictional preserved railway on the south coast of the Isle of Wight. It is my first railway layout since taking up the hobby back in august.

I have always been interested in the Isle of Wight's lost railway network and especially where two pre-grouping companies lines converged upon the small town of Ventnor. For my Fictional railway I reasoned that as a network of 19th century fort's were built around the Island including the construction of the military road, a supply railway might also have existed and been of more general use in peacetime.

My layout is 00 gauge, 2 ft wide and will eventually be 24ft in length. To include a station terminus, the trackplan for this terminus is based upon Ventnor-West station. Midway along the line will be a station halt/junction with passing loop. based loosely upon St Lawrence halt on the old Newport,Godshill & St Lawrence railway. This will lead to a quarry feature based upon Ventnors main ( now long gone) station. The topographical location of which would have made it very defensible had the military made use of it. My version will include a turntable and tunnels leading to underground sidings.

I am currently working on the terminus that I have decided to call Rocken End Station.

post-6840-1260062475606_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600625347708_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600625790247_thumb.jpg

post-6840-1260062626732_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600626872271_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600627415406_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600627818799_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600628240825_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600628620158_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12600628908505_thumb.jpg

Hi shaun.

Layout looking greaticon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif. I wish i could do as much as you in such a short space of time. I will have to stop watching the simpsons and start modelling. Once again great layout mate keep up the good work.

Regards kev icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Sam, smile.gif

Kev, I appreciate your comments a lot having seen your work. I only wish the progress could continue as rapidly every day. But work and getting ready for christmas are slowing things down right now. Plus it is getting very cold out in the railway room of an evening nowsad.gif ..I have really got to get some heating out there.

Shaun

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have had a very ebay christmassmile.gif

including the purchace of a town & country Hornby Dunster station. previously assembled, but dissasembled huh.gif for posting.

I have been rebuilding it over the past few days, as I think it is what I had in mind for Rocken end station on my layout. It's still a work in progress and it has allowed me to tryout ideas gained from reading forums and magazines, such as tin foil for lead flashing and Ive been practicng by repainting it.

post-6840-12621023473099_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12621023692596_thumb.jpg

post-6840-12621023862119_thumb.jpg

post-6840-126210241318_thumb.jpg

apologies for the low quality quickcam shots but hopefully you will..ahem..get the picturewink.gif

Shaun

ahh i see, well still lives on! Isn;t alton the club thats doing a series of IW layouts? Newport, Cows... I think i read that somewhere...

Well that's what I heard, a couple of years ago, but what's happening - is anyones guess!!!!

hi Matticon_wave.gif hello bike2steam, chris gardener has a website detailing that project..I do check it once in awhile but sadly there seems to have been no updates for a long time.

My link

Thanks for sharing the picture of your old layout bike2steam. Very..very niceicon_thumbsup2.gif I would really love to one day see a collection of Isle of Wight layouts displayed on the Island...at umm..oh I don't know..Haven Street..maybe.

Here is a bizarre thought I just had.after just watching part 2 of Day of the Triffids on TV..if that had happened in 1951 when John Wyndam wrote the book..as the only surviving human colony the Isle of Wight would still have it's entire railway network intact..icon_e_biggrin.gif

Shaun

Thanks for sharing the picture of your old layout bike2steam. Very..very niceicon_thumbsup2.gif I would really love to one day see a collection of Isle of Wight layouts displayed on the Island...at umm..oh I don't know..Haven Street..maybe.

Shaun

Glad you appreciated it, so I've added another pic to show there are other types of loco apart from the Terrierssmile.gif , getting rid of Bembridge was one of the hardest things I've done. But dont look too close, I tend to detail locos more these dayswink.gif .

The big test for it was when I took it to a show in Sandown (IoW), there of all places I would find out any faults from any locals that would criticize - but it didn't happen, it was well received with many saying 'just how I remember it', (huh) even though there was a little compromise on lengths.

edit. Then I forgot the pic, see belowbiggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Like it :) must of been hard to get rid, I don't think i could ever do that myself, Wonderful layout and I just noticed I have an old picture of Bembridge on my wall tongue.gif.

Certainly a big test to take it to an island show, Always keep missing that show. Like you my layout is a comprimise, but its recognisable of where it is, But love the layout, always wanted to build a Isle of wight layout, now having an o2 loco, might have to look at it again.

icon_thumbsup2.gif lovelly pic. Well as it happens I got my christmas present through the post this morning. A wills finecast 02 kit.icon_smile.gif

I still need to get chassis and motor/wheels. But I am really looking forward to choosing an identity for it.

Dont forget the E1 class 0-6-0s. (now I know what they are) thanks to lswrm7 (Kev) for pointing out that the 2 terriers I was looking at in the Mike Morant collection without extended bunkers were actually E1's.icon_redface.gif

shaun

I was reading yesterday also Shaun they tried LBSCR E4's on the isle of wight to replace the o2's, Sadly the E4's only fitted down certainlines, and catched platform edges, and only proved slightly more powerful than the o2's so they were dropped.

Good luck with the o2 too! I was looking in to other chassis for these with the guy from smallbrook junction, were looking in to a 14xx seeing if the wheels were small enough to fit, as you probs know it doesn't have a bogie but could be possible to get one.

Archived