Why do you model BR Blue?

tractionman

I model the late BR-blue period into sectorisation. For me, being in my mid-30s now, it was just a fascinating time when I can remember the blanket of blue and grey paint on pretty much anything remotely railway related, before all the colours exploded, passing through the tasteful and stylish liveries to the garish you tend to see now. I loved the variety of traction, where the characterful older diesels were gradually replaced by the incoming modern units and the railway was being modernised on a budget. I miss the different sounds and smells, where you wouldn’t know what was about to turn up on pretty much any train, the holiday trains hauled by what was normally freight locos, the variety of traffic operating under what was effectively steam-age semaphore signals and trackwork. There was an excitement about going spotting then which there isn’t now. Now you can pretty much guess from the timetable what type of unit it’ll be, what colour it’ll be in and if it fails the train is cancelled rather than an unusual replacement drafted in from somewhere else. I don’t remember anything before BR Blue so kettles don’t hold any appeal for me, its mainly diesel and electric locos that capture my attention. It seemed a much more innocent and honest time. On my layout the earlier withdrawn classes survived longer than reality so scruffy 55’s, 24s, 40s, 27s, 25s can all be seen along with early 1990’s sectorisation liveries.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I love BR blue because it's my childhood, lately sectorisation is sneaking in simply because.......I like the colours and variety on the old locos and I was amazed at the variety in places such as bescot even in 91-95 ish.

Post 2000 it was still colourful,but boring IMHO

Edited by rob D2

I don’t remember anything before BR Blue so kettles don’t hold any appeal for me, its mainly diesel and electric locos that capture my attention. It seemed a much more innocent and honest time. On my layout the earlier withdrawn classes survived longer than reality so scruffy 55’s, 24s, 40s, 27s, 25s can all be seen along with early 1990’s sectorisation liveries.

I know I've posted in this thread before, but growing up in Canada, I only ever had my Dad's models, books, photo's, etc to perk my interest... and that it did! 

As my Dad loosely modeled (and still does) the 50's - 60's Southern(ish) trains, I grew up with them.  I became interested in the GWR, for many reasons such as their unique way of doing many things, and the way their employee's were treated, and in turn that level of respect was given back.  They were also a natural rival to the SR, so It did not hurt that it allowed my Dad and I a means to vent at each other in a tongue and cheek kinda way...

Dad:  "That blasted king has derailed again... lousy Great Western junk..."

Me: "It never derails on Western metals, it's that shoddy Southern track work..."

Anyway... I digress... :)

I did visit England for a month back in '89 (wow... was it really that long ago!?) and was treated to Network Southeast and Railfreight running along side BR Blue.  I fell in love with the variety and character of the stock and overall feel of the network.  The 80's had almost a steam era feel to it in the manner in which things operated, along with the variety of locomotive and rolling stock.

Nowadays, the railways (seem to be) limited to a handful of diesels and a plethora of brightly colored MU's that seem to change owners more frequently than some change their underwear... :locomotive:

• Like 1

My interest in railways began in the late 1970s as a young lad so for me it was always BR Blue, diesels / AC Electrics etc.

I'm not fussed about steam engines at all although I appreciate the romance and nostalgia associated with these machines.

I know very little about classes/types of steam engine - However, I know what an A4 is . . .  it's a sheet of paper, right?

Only kidding all you steamers out there!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a blue era layout as my primary modelling interests are Cambrian Railways and South Wales Valleys in the 1950s and early 1960s. However, I do have a large collection of 4mm scale blue diesel locos, mostly untouched in their boxes, and couple in 0 Gauge. My interest started in the summer of 1970 when I was 11 and we went on holiday to St Austell in Cornwal. The main-line to Penzance passed the bottom of the garden of the B&B in which we stayed. The weather was not brilliant so I spent a lot of time at St Austell station watching Warships, Westerns, Class 22s, Class 47s and the occasional Peak. Some locos were still running in maroon and green liveries and the goods depot and Motorail service were open and active. There was a decent amount of freight, mostly 4 wheel vacuum-braked vans and wagons. I managed to persuade my parents to allow me to take a trip down the Falmouth branch where I saw a Class 22 shunting what must have been a pick-up goods at Penryhn and activity in the Falmouth Docks railway. And of course it was all semphore signalling from Taunton westwards.

Home was Bristol and I spent many happy hours at the western end of the legendary Platform 12 at Temple Meads with its excellent view of Bath Road depot. There was also much goods and parcels activity in Bristol with the main goods depot still active. The livery may been monotonous, but there was a good variey of locomotives, some pre-blue liveries to be seen and a lot of traditional railway activity. I started to lose interest with the onset of sectorisation and the contemporary scene railway scene is sterile and very boring. Commuting between Winchester and Waterloo provides no railway excitement at all apart from the very occasional special or engineering train hauled by a Class 31, 37, 56 or 73.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Rail Blue, heh? how can you get away from it? It has it's attractions for those who never knew it, certainly. As for me, well I don't model the Blue era, do I? No. For me my modelling has two points of focus; GER/LNER/BR on the Buntingford branch up to its end in 1964 and contemporary NJT (New Jersey Transit) around Hoboken - my local area.

Ah, but the Blue era. now that was when I roamed the rails as much as I could. Ware to Liverpool Street, 305 EMUs and similar, 31s on freight liners, 08s pottering about doing who knows what. Memory goes back as far as green 305s, but hazily so. Then to the Bristol area and the 'new' HSTs to Paddington and onwards to the Kings Road, Islington and Kentish Town for the bands....unheard of then but still around on reunion tours. Then to University interviews at unholy hours of the morning - still recall bouncing into Leeds still standing in the vestibule on a packed train in February. Standing - all the way from London. Oh, joy!

So, yes, in a quiet corner on the railway space is that secret addiction of mine. Rail Blue stock. No layout - yet. Just a faithful rendition (in progress) of the service from Rugby (School) to Euston at exeat; a repainted 86 and a growing cast of MK1/MK2 stock in N. Alongside is an almost complete HST set in the blue grey of 76 (trips to London, as above). Come on Dapol/Farish, get on with the ret of the coaches!

Thus my motivation is a tangible presence of memories locked away deep in my persona. I'd love to do a blue era layout, but other projects dominate. But it's there, underneath, nestling softly against the feel of Lego bricks, the cool touch of Matchobox die cast (actually I have cheated there - 1-75 sit in a display case in my library), sounds of Jackanory, Play School and Dad's Army themes, a perennial habit of quoting Blue Peter phrases ('here's one I made earlier' etc) to bemused Americans and playing my music on vinyl.

So Rail Blue and decrepitude - a 'comforting' period that reflects the order and stability of the world in which we lived back then? Perhaps. But now I am just pontificating. I think the most important aspect is that a group of people are deriving pleasure from this period and enjoying their hobby as a result. Long may the do so!

Best to all,

Marcus

• Like 2

Ah, but the Blue era. now that was when I roamed the rails as much as I could. Ware to Liverpool Street, 305 EMUs and similar, 31s on freight liners, 08s pottering about doing who knows what. Memory goes back as far as green 305s, but hazily so. Then to the Bristol area and the 'new' HSTs to Paddington and onwards to the Kings Road, Islington and Kentish Town for the bands....unheard of then but still around on reunion tours. Then to University interviews at unholy hours of the morning - still recall bouncing into Leeds still standing in the vestibule on a packed train in February. Standing - all the way from London. Oh, joy!

Thus my motivation is a tangible presence of memories locked away deep in my persona. I'd love to do a blue era layout, but other projects dominate. But it's there, underneath, nestling softly against the feel of Lego bricks, the cool touch of Matchobox die cast (actually I have cheated there - 1-75 sit in a display case in my library), sounds of Jackanory, Play School and Dad's Army themes, a perennial habit of quoting Blue Peter phrases ('here's one I made earlier' etc) to bemused Americans and playing my music on vinyl.

Marcus

Marcus: Loved that post and it brought back reminders for me too - travelling to interviews for Uni in '84, and choosing Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield SOLELY becaise it meant a long train journey!

Many thanks and compliments on your ability to turn a phrase that resonates.

Rail Blue, heh? how can you get away from it? It has it's attractions for those who never knew it, certainly. As for me, well I don't model the Blue era, do I? No. For me my modelling has two points of focus; GER/LNER/BR on the Buntingford branch up to its end in 1964 and contemporary NJT (New Jersey Transit) around Hoboken - my local area.

So, yes, in a quiet corner on the railway space is that secret addiction of mine. Rail Blue stock. No layout - yet. Just a faithful rendition (in progress) of the service from Rugby (School) to Euston at exeat; a repainted 86 and a growing cast of MK1/MK2 stock in N. Alongside is an almost complete HST set in the blue grey of 76 (trips to London, as above). Come on Dapol/Farish, get on with the ret of the coaches!

So Rail Blue and decrepitude - a 'comforting' period that reflects the order and stability of the world in which we lived back then? Perhaps. But now I am just pontificating. I think the most important aspect is that a group of people are deriving pleasure from this period and enjoying their hobby as a result. Long may the do so!

Best to all,

Marcus

Secret Blue addiction; I like that except that an O Gauge Heljan blue Western is difficult to keep secret.

Secret Blue addiction; I like that except that an O Gauge Heljan blue Western is difficult to keep secret.

Almost as difficult as my 7mm (blue) Deltic when all mi other stuff is 4mm............ at least it's blue though.

I've started for some strange reason to become rather fond of the Connex livery....I don't usually go in for the privatisation liveries but I recently got a Kernow Thumper in Connex and it has grown on me. My wife used to live in Croydon, it's where she was living when we first met in the late 1990s, so I remember seeing the livery on EMU stock in the area at the time and I wasn't keen on it...but I have become rather fond of it late. Not keen any of the other privatisation-era liveries though. I wasn't overly keen on Network Southeast livery at the time but I've become rather fond of it looking back now. I'd certainly prefer to see that livery again than the privatisation liveries I see now (although Southern isn't too bad I suppose - it does have an element of Southern Region retro-ness about it).

• Like 1

Oh, Southernelecrric, what shall I do? You have stirred in me those days of regular trips to Brighton to see - yes, a girl, now long since confined to the obscurity of 'ex'. So farish do a 411 - or 412, I'm too lazy too look it up right now, but I dare say it will find its way onto my shopping list/shelf shortly. Then there was commuting into Charing Cross from South Norwood...

So, my point? Wherever our core modelling focus lies, Some memories are to be lovingly cherished by the presence of 'icons' from our past, resting comfortably among our books, photographs and mementoes and giving us that nice warm feeling of 'ah, yes, I was there/did that/remember those' that is far from modelling per se, but just as valid a preoccupation. It makes us happy, and what's wrong with that?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I do, memories of school trips from 1975 onwards and great friends and trips all around the country for a very memorable 15 years, couldn't have asked for better company [shall we go north or south this weekend?] or more fun. Thanks guys. Having a go at recreating this with Wiganish.

post-4133-0-10542800-1391900042_thumb.jpg

post-4133-0-42537700-1391900100_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

The BR blue period was quite an interesting period. BR green took a fair while to disappear, the renumbering came along. After that came the subtle changes in livery blue and grey to slightly different shades . Then the final years as large logo, sector liveries etc appeared.

The livery was supposedly standard, but each works had its own little ways of interpretation of the livery book.

Thats one of the reasons I model the early Blue era, and it was the era I started to take a greater interest in railways in general.

• Like 1

Because of semaphores, signal boxes, trip workings, and each region having very distinct identities because of old, old infrastructure despite the Blues. Think GWR hydraulics(ok missed this one sadly-other than a green 818) then HSTs, AC WCML, LMS 3rd rail Liverpool, Manchester Victoria L&Y 504s ECML, MML Peaks, SECR slimjims and Hastings, LBSCR slam door 09/33/ 73, LSWR 50s, GER units, striped 31s silver roof 47s, Woodhead Gresleys, 104s to Buxton, Coal freight Big diesels, hump shunters,Midland/LNE different locos, Scottish BRC&W/37s/push pulls. Visiting each region was different totally. But blue, and British too. It was to hide the differences...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I always end up coming back to the blues, no matter what I've been up to in the intervening years. As a 70/80s child, it's the first that I saw of the railway and what I grew up watching, my favourite period being the emergence of raspberry ripple livery and the subsequent mixes of livery that ensued. I still cherish the memories of Bescot rats on trip workings being passed by all over blue DMUs and mixed livery diverted expresses headed by LL/blue/IC 47s and on the rare occasion could still conjure up a Peak. Varity that has been lacking on the railway for a long time.

• Like 2

It was to hide the differences...

Love it!  Absolutely right.  That just about sums it up from the non-enthusiast, business perspective. It wasn't called 'the Modern Image,' or 'Corporate Blue' for nothing!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

The reason i model corporate blue, is, because, i was for my sins, a guard on the LMSR, being from, Euston to Glasgow, slam door stock DMUs  EMUs  all diesel and electric locomotives, and, also scene the track nationalisation around the New Street to Rugby area, and, removal of a lot of yards, Nuneaton being the coal wagon roads, etc etc etc,  guess i  am by doing blue era, going back to  what i know a hell of a lot, rules and regs, i scored 98% in my guards finals, the xxxx, would not give me 100%, his reasoning being that, no ones that good, and i agree!!!!!!!!!!!..........lol lol.........

My best regards to all......................Tom...

• Like 1

The formative years of childhood and early teens create very strong sensory memories visually, audibly and olfactory. Therefore anyone growing up in the Corporate Blue period is likely to have 'fond' memories of the blandness - I know I do. Give me a 33/1 in Blue with Blue/Grey 4TCs and I'm a happy bunny, especially when the sound and smells are there too. At the time I found it all a bit boring, but now they're all but gone they resonate in my head much more.

I couldn't have put it better myself, I have fond memories.

Colin

Because when I got restarted in modeling, the trains running past the kitchen window of my new flat were all blue.

I started with a blue Airfix 31 and a blue Mainline peak because that was all that was available at the time.

John

• 1 month later...

Nostalgia for me as well. When I was a kid, was frequently on all blue 503s going to Liverpool. They looked very dull, miserable but then again, Liverpool Central was very dark before the loop and link was done. What really caught my eye, still a kid of course, was seeing an 03 shunter, well, shunting around Duke Street (I think the 04s had been withdrawn by then), shortly after I saw a 47 and was amazed with this massive thing.

Don't have the 503s unfortunately but have the Bachmann 03s which do look rather good and lots of Vitrains 47s which may look good if the myriad of bits get fitted. What were they thinking with all those seperate parts, worse than an Airfix kit!

• 3 months later...

BR Blueish with Med Yellow noses making a come back!

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/499700

I’m so sorry but I couldn’t resist - does look good, though? Latest CSX livery “How Tomorrow Moves”. CSX - yn 3b.

Best, Pete.

Errr is that Doncaster Works ????  I am just going to get my Butties out of my "dirty" rucksack now.   :crazy:

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Funny 1