Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

Just waiting for all the subsections to show up.

Bittern looks like a dead cert for me, been wanting a double tendered loco for a while.

edit: I quite like the club loco this year, a sub is in order I think. I might wait till the local shop has the physical catalogue this time though, as Hornby didn't post mine for 2 months last year.

The items that I most wanted to check on - the Thompson non-vestibuled carriages - were the only ones in the carriage section that used real photographs rather than CAD side profiles. These are the ones with the scope for most variations, and hence opportunities for mistakes, so it's good to know that once again Mike Trice is acting as adviser to Hornby.

If the demand is there, I expect that The LNER Society will produce the same type of information sheets as were done last year for the Gresley non-vestibuled carriages and BGP.

• RMweb Premium

Yes a very creaky website, will wait until things calm down a bit.

As Andy points out above, BRM have a good summary, Pat has a more detailed listing ove ron MREmag

http://www.mremag.com/

Both are refreshingly free from the ###### of marketing puff and Photoshoppery that would presumably greet me on the Hornby site if I could actually access it.

####### = o r g y

Can anyone explain to me why one of the Maunsell PP coaches is available separately as an 'unmodified' version (bust still with the odd coupling on one end) but not the other? Its great to see this addition however! As it is with the luggage van.

Other than the aforementioned and the GWR tanks, not that much has struck me yet. I had heard the B sets and Autocoach would be available again and was hoping that they would be new tooling, but then, I'm not surprised that they aren't.

With so much due out from Bachmann already this year I'm quite happy with the Hornby announcement. I will finally be able to get hold of 4472 in its 'current' form. Though I seem to be in the minority of people who prefer it as such!

The Thompsons look interesting, but if I managed the self restraint not to buy a Gresley set, then I very much doubt that the Thompsons will get me either... I can't see the logic behind this release but I'm not complaining!

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone explain to me why one of the Maunsell PP coaches is available separately as an 'unmodified' version (bust still with the odd coupling on one end) but not the other? Its great to see this addition however! As it is with the luggage van.

Tom, the image of the Diagram 2005 Third/ Second Open (don't get me started on their use of the term "unconverted") shows a tension lock at one end and their Roco close coupling at the other, both types of couplings tend to be proivided by Hornby with all their later releases.

• RMweb Gold

Ok then... what on earth are Hornby still doing with the Airfix 21 ton hoppers? They have a nice new chassis but they persist with the old.

Ther only interesting point I can see is that have found a new manufacturer, now I hope they can make some quality models that might have the looks, performance and price that we expect in the 21stC.

• RMweb Premium

I can't get the Hornby pages to load either, probably server 'overload'. Using the MREmag page, I'm glad the Maunsell PP set is going to be available without a loco as well. I'd feared Hornby might try to use a train pack only to push out more M7s. Admittedly the PP set would always need a locomotive, but I'd rather be able to make my choice on that than have it foistered on me.

Glad to see the Bogie Van B too. As I've seen a picture of a Thompson Suburban on an S&DJR train, even they come into scope :)

EDIT: Link to Flickr picture of Thompson Suburban apparently on an S&DJR train: link

One thing troubling me about the new Bittern model. With it being a new version of the A4 tender (i.e. slim) and the water carrier based on the old tool (fat), will this not look a bit odd? Doesn't the real water carrier match the width of the loco's tender?

• RMweb Gold

I know that Thompson non-corridor stock tended to stray off ex-LNER routes far more than the Gresley equivalents. Didn't one example appear on the Hemyock branch at some time? So are the actual prototypes chosen by Hornby types that would be useful to BR steam era modellers generally (presumably excluding the Southern) or were they normally confined to specific routes/areas?

Guest dilbert

I know that the Scots are a hardy bunch, but didn't realise that they poured oil on their conrflakes for breakfast...

The inclusion of a 6 wheel milk tanker branded 'The Oakbank Oil Co Ltd' is weird (could there really be a prototype for this model?) - may be the glass lining of the prototype tank helped protect the contents in transit ?... dilbert

Archived