The Construction of the Far North Line

Ben Alder

Hello Richard and good to see you back… this time I can keep up to date with progress instead of discovering your layout in the autumn of its life, as I did with Kylesku. Your work rate is very impressive… and you explain it all so well.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Only just found this - Nice to see Thurso used...I always thought that would make an excellent location for the layout having all the right ingredients.

Look forward to see more from this.

Pete

PS - I too like the panoramic on the wall of Thurso... :yes:

Work has now moved to cork infill between the tracks to provide a base for the various surfaces that will be part of the scene. As all the track is within station areas, this will be more or less level with the sleeper tops- no shoulders required. I have made a start at Helmsdale with strips along the running lines, but last night I sidetracked myself to fill in at the terminus shed, as the awful collection of patchy bits and pieces was annoying me every time I looked at it, so here is a tidier Thurso shed as imagined by myself. The building is due a repaint and some stone outbuildings added, and the small gaps in the cork will be filled in with a brush of Polyfilla before weathering.

post-2642-0-26683500-1328052538_thumb.jpg

I also couldn't resist a shot of one of its future inhabitants- a ghost of times to come. I have been taking a few daylight pics as the light allows, and I think the shed area is going to photograph rather well. There's the small matter of getting it finished first though. ;)

post-2642-0-71248300-1328052467_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another progress report, with some more of the same stuff done. All the cork infill is now in place, and nearly all the rails have been painted with my last jar of Humbrol track colour- I had forgotten the delights of enamel thinners with my usage of acrylics these last years, and much opening of the Velux was required to create a breathable atmosphere. I decided to use the enamels for painting the rails rather than acrylics because I know they work, and didn't want to take the chance of acrylic flaking off at some uture point.

Here are a couple of shots of WIP- a half painted point , which shows the immediate visual improvement of the paint, and a section of the Helmsdale yard, with some salvaged track in the sidings at the top and bottom of the pic, and one painted and one raw length of running rails. Anyway, that is a task behind me now, and I can move on to a stage that is going to show some more visual impact, but reliable track is the core of a good layout, and shouldn't be rushed.

post-2642-0-11360000-1329000826_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-55682700-1329000944_thumb.jpg

An overview of Helmsdale as it was at the begining of last week- the Small Ben is on one of the through roads, with the goods headshunt to its left and two sidings to the right. The loco depot track has yet to be fixed down, and is waiting for me to build the shed to determine where the roads will go.

post-2642-0-95402000-1329000858_thumb.jpg

Having done the corkwork, I have started the backscenes, and in contrast to the adhoc approach in the last layout they are being put in place at the beginning. I have used mount board as the base, and with some bracing will be robust enough. They are temporarilly in place ATM, but do give an idea of what I am aiming for. The actual backscenes themselves are the ID ones that feature widely, but I think will be OK here,and are far better than anything I could produce. Tomorrow is going to be a session with Photomount and bated breath, as there is scant margin for error with this method, but I found on the last layout that any wet adhesive just caused problems with bubbles and creases, and any glue on the surface lifted the image.

Here is progress as of tonight, with the back boards in place. I curved the Thurso one round the engine shed area more than I originally intended, but after some photo trials I decided that this offered more camera angles at the terminus.The unfilled spaces in the goods yard are going to have cobbled surfaces with raised loading platforms- it was a complicated set-up of varying heights of access roads and slopes, and is going to provide for some interesting modelling.......

post-2642-0-44376000-1329000696_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-05235500-1329000677_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-20828300-1329000720_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-91691700-1329000736_thumb.jpg

The sharpness of the curves at Helmsdale, esp. the two goods sidings, will be hidden by rising slopes at the front of the layout- the actual sidings started nearer the centre of the station than mine, but to have done this would have made for rather short roads and also meant more points visible, and I am trying to give an illusion of space to the through station- not easy in just over 9' to work with.

Finally, some trial shots of the backscenes tacked in place. They are the 15'' version with 3'' of the verdant bottom trimmed off, and should make future photography of the layout somewhat easier. Chris Nevard is right in advocating at least a foot for the height of backscenes, and by bringing them forward of the eaves of the room is going to avoid the shadows and joins that were a drawback of Kylesku.

The terminus scene is perhaps a bit too lush for so far north, but there are trees around here, and as for red brick houses, Brora has a row of not dissimilar types on the road going north behind its station, built with the local bricks. Besides, much of the terminus backscene is going to be hidden behind embankments and buildings, with only the sky apparent. It's all looking promising, I think.

post-2642-0-22538400-1329000650_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-72233500-1329000803_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-84687300-1329000782_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-74801800-1329000755_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Ian, although the image of a sinking ship is perhaps not what I should be applying here :unsure: . Here's one that perhaps is more appropriate for this layout-

post-2642-0-60653500-1329003412_thumb.jpg

As for the backscenes, I think the Helmsdale one does give a fairly good representation of the Caithness hills stretching away into the distance and as for the matter of the sea and the vilage itself, I'll no doubt find a way round that .......

Scapa Special... the beer drunk by Italian cruise liner captains, maybe?

I've been giving some thought to the problem of sea and backscenes/baseboard edges....not enough thought, obviously, as i haven't come up with anything yet, and my layout will have about 30' of water frontage!! Fortunately, most of it will be at the front.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Really great to watch this one progressing, and I am looking forward to it going further. I can sense how keen you are to start with the pretty bits, and admire your thoroughness in taking time to get all the essentially dull stuff done first! Something I have struggled with on previous layouts but am dertermined to do right on my present effort (which is thus progressing at sub glacial speed).

George

Looking good Richard, albeit those houses in the backscene are rather home counties!!!

You are definately adding to my already present itches to have a bash at a Highland terminus. I have just got to find the space for it (he says with the dining room presently taken over by the three central boards!!).

Keep posting, a fair number of us are watching.............................

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Looks like you are making good progress.

Can I ask if the platform faces are a 'ready to plonk' item and if so who makes them. They have a lovely look to them.

Hi Ben, I was going to ask the same as def maybe. Do you use Slaters plasticard, or Wills... or something else?

Could I also ask you about the corrugated shed? Is the shed a kit, or did you buy the curved corrugation separately? It looks very effective!

Regards,

Jeff

Sorry for the delay in replying- keyboard gave up the ghost and it took a couple of days to replace it.

The platforms are based on the Peco product but are faced with Wills coarse stone sheets to give a better finish to them. The platform is the one from Kylesku, and is a placing to give an idea of what is going where. The facing is something I have been experimenting with recently to find one suitable for the new build, and ATM I am leaning towards using this one for them. The stonework is a bit overdone for Highland use, but it seems to be the best to use as a base, with its deeper relief taking paint washes readily. I have tried Slaters and Peco versions but they do not give such a good finish, and am waiting for SE Finecast to send their version as another possible option. I don't want to resort to scribing these as there is a big cobbling job ahead and I want to save my sanity for that task.

The shed has quite a long history- it was originally cobbled together to act as a scenic break to hide exit tracks in a short lived version of the Kyle approaches that I never photographed or stuck with, but it then went on to be part of the never-got- round -to- quayside buildings project that were on the last layout. It has Wills corrugated sheet walls and the Ratio roof from the coal shed kit cut into low relief. As can be seen, it got an initial weathered finish and no further attention but might yet manage a spell as a shed at the terminus. The curved roof has been useful to me, and is going to form the basis of the Helmsdale shed when I start working on it; soonish I think.....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info on the platform facings and shed. I've found Slaters to be good for viaduct facings, but have previously used the Wills product for my platforms.

I particularly like the worn look of the corrugated roof on the shed, though. You've given me some ideas!!

Regards,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, Ian, although the image of a sinking ship is perhaps not what I should be applying here :unsure: . Here's one that perhaps is more appropriate for this layout-

post-2642-0-60653500-1329003412_thumb.jpg

As for the backscenes, I think the Helmsdale one does give a fairly good representation of the Caithness hills stretching away into the distance and as for the matter of the sea and the vilage itself, I'll no doubt find a way round that .......

Ben

That bottle of Hook Norton would look much better on my Banbury layout being a local brew and a bottle of Orkney Dark Island there instead!!

Ian

Stones - http://www.micromark...ampaign=12WS007

Maybe worth a look?

Thanks for the link- it has been added to the list of useful sources; this time round I'm keeping a record of what I've done and where it came from in case replication is needed in the future.

Buildings are looming nearer on the horizon, and I have been gathering materials for them- two signal cabins,one and a bit engine sheds, a goods shed , two water towers and coal stands and Thurso train shed. The usual approach of plasticard and whatever ready mades can be found will be followed, although the curve of Thurso train shed front will be interesting- Wick would be much simpler!.

I do seem to have found a cop-out on the cobble front though with the arrival of some SE Finecast plastic sheets. They do a granite setts that is passable as it is and is also thin enough to follow ground slopes and dips, and is going to be the way forward on this one. Their sheets had passed me by until now, but are going to be part of my building armoury from now- their slate sheet is large enough to do most roofs I need without joins, for example. There are illustrations of these in the new Expo catalogue, BTW.

Work this week has revolved round the backscenes and starting the various platforms needed, and has been spasmodic due to various other demands on my time, and a serious case of man-flu that slowed my modelling mojo for four or five days. All go again now, though, and I hope to get the platforms finished off this coming week. Here is the state of play as of tonight-

post-2642-0-00307200-1329515824_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-80473600-1329515724_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-00004600-1329515689_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-90430900-1329515670_thumb.jpg

The Thurso backscene is hardly northern as it stands, but once the foreground is developed most of the built-up area will disappear, leaving only a bright sunny day to be seen. I might though take off an inch or so at the bottom to reduce the over green foreground- the backscenes are held in slots to allow access to the now hidden loops- I'll play around with this later tonight, perhaps.

As for 37/4's- I don't have any, I'm afraid, but my son has a rather dusty Radio Highland sitting on his ignored layout which is as close as I can offer ;) .......

The backscenes are bringing it to life although I cannot think of the terminus as Thurso with that backscene. Never been to Thurso so I could be wrong.

Don

From OS maps the station looks to be in the floodplain of the adjacent (Thurso) river and thus pretty level, and from earlier maps there do appear to have been open fields next to the station. So the "home counties" recreation ground backscene look isn't too outrageous - but it will be academic anyway, if the detail is to be obscured, leaving just an excellent sky effect.

• RMweb Premium

Ben, at risk of seeming a bit "thick", where was the "hillside" backscene taken? Is it a Thurso locality, or is it commercial? I wouldn't mind something like that for my S&C project!

I have been to Thurso - once, in 1979 (en route to Dounreay). I thought it was a nice place, though the 5 hour DMU journey from Inverness was a bit tedious - middle of the night in March during a blizzard!

Regards,

Jeff

The Thurso backscene will be made less "pretty"- what scenery won't hide, a bit of decoupage will attend to, The ground around the station was more or less empty up to the sixties anyway; the site was on the outskirts of the Victorian town, and there was little development until the Dounreay atomic power plant trebled the size of it from 1957 onwards. If you look at the photo in the background of some of the images, the lack of buildings is obvious, apart from the corrugated bus garage. On the near side are the mart and allotments that filled the slope before a few mansion type piles, and then are a row of Dounreay houses that could have fitted in anywhere in Britain, so due to the lack of Scottish townscape backscenes :( I decided on this one as the best of a, for me, poor choice. I did try a plain skyscape but that didn't look right at all.

The country backscene is the well known "Hills and Dales available from International Models or direct from John at Art Printers. It seems to fit in on very different types of layouts, and I am v. pleased with it, having used the smaller version on the last layout. This one is the 15" version with the more pastoral bottom 3" cut off to suit the area modelled a bit more. AFAIR, he said it was photographed around Forfar on the old Caledonian main line, and if you look at the original a disused trackbed can be seen- not on mine as it is in the discarded piece.If you deal direct with John, he can customise to whatever size required and also cut and paste, this one, to suit. His contact is a mobile number that I can pass on to anyone interested, but I won't put it up in public forum.

Archived