Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

Hi Dave,

I understand what your saying and to be honest this is more of a think tank session, rather than we are going to produce x, xx or even xxx this year, as we have pretty much gotten this year sorted all bar a few possible gaps.

What I will confirm here and now is that this list has been very valuable to us so far ( and I hope it continues) as we have picked up on at least 3 items ( and no I'm not telling) that we hadn't considered, that look like great feasible ideas!!!

I will also confirm that at least 4 items on this list ( and no I'm not telling these either as you will need to wait until late Feb. for the catalogue) will appear in the 2012 catalogue as they are well into development as you read this.

Please keep them coming

Cheers

Dave

Dave

You can't do this to us.

I mean - you ask people for opinions and then prove that a manufacturer is listening to them? Is that the norm? Very, very rare.

But seriously - thanks for opening up this thread and thanks for the feedback that we're being read and that we're doing the right thing to advance your understanding of what we want. Or think we want.

A class 303 /311 the 303s didnt just operatr in Glagow but also manchester liverpool and crewe and one ran as a test unit out of clacton lots of liverys to choose from original caley blue (without yellow ends and with half yellow warning panels) br blue *(with half yellow warning panels,full yellow ends and wrap round yellow ends). blue grey (with or without black window surrounds and various logos greater glasgow trans clydee and strasthclyde pte)

strathclyde orange and black. manchester orange and brown, NSE and strathclyde blood and custard, also railtrack livery for sandite units.

also unrefurbished and refurbished units

class 314/315/507/508 units again lots of possible liverys

class 317/318/319/320/321/322/455 loads of liverys

a decent class 156 with proper undeframe unlike lima / Hornby one

a decent class 101 unlike Hornby / lima one

a class 73

a mk !!DBSO scotrail, anglia, network rail

On the subject of 'industrial shunter', this does seem to be an idea that has been building momentum over the last few years. The clear favourite based on this thread seems to be a Peckett 0-4-0st, which seems a fair choice, but I do have a couple of alternative thoughts on the subject:

- I always thought a late 19th Century Manning Wardle 0-6-0st of the type commonly used by contractors might work as a RTR proposition. They are one of those designs that seemed to end up in all manner of unlikely places. Common enough to be a generic industrial, but at the same time bags of antiquated character.

- a number of the smaller BR diesel shunters were standard products with identical or near-identical versions working in industry which could share common tooling. The 02 and 07, both specifically mentioned on this thread, spring to mind but there are a number of other designs where the same logic could no doubt be applied.

Mike

Dave,

A few simple requests - a 4mm LMS suburban set to go with all the LMS 2-6-4 tanks that are on the market with nothing prototypical to pull.

A nice modern standard Fowler 2-6-2 tank would also be quite acceptable.

As requested by Coachman an L&Y/LMS/BR A class would also be a nice addition - widely dispersed during LMS/BR days.

An another widely travelled 0-6-0 the LNER J11 anywhere on the GC/CLC and North Wales, forays on the GN and even in East Anglia for a time.

Unit-wise, I'd recommend a 319 as a good all-rounder with a big choice of livery options and wide sphere of operation - likely to get even wider if they go up north and onto FGW when the wiring's complete.

I agree, if looking for a modern image EMU the 319 stands out as an excellent choice. Plus it also opens up the possibilty of the other MK3 suburban EMUs based on the same body shell.

Whats wrong with having the Wessex unit in 7mm then ? ;) - a 442 in any scale would do me - if someone ever announced a RTR 7mm version I would feint!

Not my scene at all but the I can see a lot of logic behind the suggestions for industrial locos ands the likes - Thinking about it , a PWM shunter would be nice - as it seems unlikely the Impetus kit will re-appear any time soon.

Jon

Ooops,

Little omission on my part there. I've included it now ;-)

Tom

Unit-wise, I'd recommend a 319 as a good all-rounder with a big choice of livery options and wide sphere of operation - likely to get even wider if they go up north and onto FGW when the wiring's complete.

Can you imagine first going into the refranchising of TPE and saying look, if ypu let us keep it you don`t even neeed to repaint the units.

Aslo, dave, when you said this-Not wishing to dampen things, but this thread is just one long, rambling wish list, that doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast !

all I thought was "it`s only a laugh", most of our idea`s on this thread probably wouldn`t work out in real life. We are asking for what we want to model, not what would make economic sence to make. That doesn`t stop us saying what we want personally, whitch is to me what this thread is for

PS,-how about doing some oo track with tilag, but molding some different plastic sleepers to make it appear more like UK track.

Well, alright then. With a bit of thought about commercial appeal (livery variations, area of operations etc)

For N gauge - more modern image stuff. Classes 87 and 90, more 1st gen DMU's, now you've got the chassis mech sorted via the 121. Classes 158 and 170 to modern standards, the 317/318/319/320/321/322 (same body, different front mouldings ?).

I'd love a 185 but with 3 unique body mouldings and one operator, it isn't going to happen.

For 00 - decent AC electric locos.

And an exploration of using shrink rays and/or expander beams, to produce existing products in different gauges.

You've improved N gauge, and the doubters (check 'em) seem to have been silenced by your Class 22.

O gauge ? I can't see you going there.

Can you imagine first going into the refranchising of TPE and saying look, if ypu let us keep it you don`t even neeed to repaint the units.

dave, when you said this-Not wishing to dampen things, but this thread is just one long, rambling wish list, that doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast !

all I thought was "it`s only a laugh", most of our idea`s on this thread probably wouldn`t work out in real life. We are asking for what we want to model, not what would make economic sence to make. That doesn`t stop us saying what we want personally, whitch is to me what this thread is for

Ture enough, but without any focus - just a scattergun of ideas - I don't see what it would offer to Dapol Dave. We;ve got 9 pages (so far) of suggestions covering everything - and in three different gauges too.

And now you've just asked for a track system !!

I knew what I had forgotten to remember....!

Another request for Terrier chassis sold without bodyshells, for the small loco scratch-bodging folks...

- - - - - - - - - -

009, yes please!

Having skimmed through other people's suggestions... the idea of an RTR 009 loco, nothing too elaborate, something like a quarry Hunslet, with optional cab, ought to catch people's attention, I would like one.

..it could be a sort of meeting point between Dapol' s excellent little loco models in N and OO. Also, it is less (geographically) specific than a Fairlie or a Vale of Rheidol tank, which should help its broad appeal. Maybe a small four wheeled diesel too.. accurately modelled from a prototype, but a protoype chosen for its generic-ness.

- - - - - - - - - -

A 'not just locos and stock' suggestion:

Also, I'm not sure of Dapols relationship with Tomytec (little N gauge cars) but a little set of 'modern European cars' would add some balance to N gauge car parks, which are increasingly dominated by various Hondas, Toyotas and Nissan Micras, I guess these models are made for a broader collectables market in Japan, and imported by Dapol (?) as 1:150 is plenty near enough to 1:148ish for my eyes!

A selection of Fiats, Fords, Renaults etc..., sticking to the more mundane models, would be handy.

Another 'not just locos and stock' suggestion:

Canal boats?

O gauge ? I can't see you going there.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47798-Dapol-7mm-private-owner-wagons-announced/

These wagons are the first in a whole new range of products from Dapol for O gauge and the 2012 catalogue will have a dedicated section showing next year's further expansion of new models with at least one locomotive featuring in this gauge.

• RMweb Gold

and didn't Dapol by the KQA tooling from ATM a few years back?

I forgot one. Super GUV

Thanks

jgp

Hi there,

No, we sent Dapol all the drawings/data we had to encourage them to do a mass-market KQA in N (though so far only a OO version has been produced) but there was no deal as such.

cheers

Ben A.

Very interesting and I look forward to finding out whether my wallet is going to suffer or not over the next few months. Thankfully, as I'm consolidating my interests only one or two possible items on the list are of interest whilst I concentrate on a particular project (instead of my usual scattergun approach) for the next year or so (hopefully) so I may well get lucky... but it's certainly going to be interesting to see what comes of this thread and whether any other manufacturers will follow suit in asking what their customers (or potential customers) would actually like to buy rather than what they think we want.

Re-adding my vote for O gauge modern image short wheelbase box vans preferably in Railfreight red and grey please :)

• RMweb Premium

Will you tell us if the 3 and 4 are in any particular gauge Dave? :) Or might that reveal a touch too much?

The post mentioned above about the O gauge wagons did reveal that their would be at least one 7mm loco in the new catalogue and a chap called Dave mentioned at Warley that there would be more to come - and before anyone mentions Ixion, it has been made quite clear here and on the 7mm Yahoo Group that there are now no commercial links between the two companies and the Ixion Hudswell Clarke loco due soon will not be in a Dapol box :jester:

Mike

This looks promising and I will wait patiently till the end of February.

After the dissapointment of Hornby's releases, I think there is space for a mid sized LNER tank engine such as a G5, a small tank such as a J50, J69, J70 tram (Toby for some), a Y7. Of course some of these have been mentioned, so hopefully something to the standards of the ModelRail Y1 Sentinel and Beattie Well Tank engines would be nice.

Look forward to end of Feb.

All the best Dave

Archived