Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

Although mainly an N-gauge modeller I also have a cabinet full of OO industrials so I'm going to stick my oar in here also.

An industrial saddletank would be welcome, but which one is more fraught. However, the GWR acquired a number of standard industrial types from the Swansea Harbour Trust and Powlesand and Mason, which lasted to the late fifties/early sixties. Of these a 14" cylindered Peckett or Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST would have been the most widespread outside the GW. Both of these types lasted into the seventies in industrial service.

All the very best

Les

In a previous life, Dave produced an N gauge Tamper in brass. Not sure what happened to it though. There's a thread about it on the old forum that is currently inaccessible.

Funny you should say that...

I still have one in my to do draw :sungum:

Dave,

I didnt realise just how many people ar realy into post Steam modelling, i am quite disappointed at the lack of Steam requests,

Therefore i would like to request the following N Gauge Locos & Stock, to your excellent standards, which are missing from my random collection :-

1. LMS Princess Coronation Class in both streamlined and unstreamlined in all liveries

2. GWR King Class

3. GWR Castle Class

4. GWR '5205' 2-8-0T

5. Rake of carriages, in both blue and red, to match the Princess Coronation class 'Coronation Scot' train

6. Some small carriages to accompany your superb terriers

7. Perhaps think about a small range or mk1 support carriages for modellers looking to use steam specials on their layouts, Duchess of sutherland, tornado etc all have specific support coaches.

I hope these ideas are welcomed,

I am very much looking forward to the A3, A4 and west country locos,

Rich

Dave,

I didnt realise just how many people ar realy into post Steam modelling, i am quite disappointed at the lack of Steam requests,

Therefore i would like to request the following N Gauge Locos & Stock, to your excellent standards, which are missing from my random collection :-

1. LMS Princess Coronation Class in both streamlined and unstreamlined in all liveries

2. GWR King Class

3. GWR Castle Class

4. GWR '5205' 2-8-0T

5. Rake of carriages, in both blue and red, to match the Princess Coronation class 'Coronation Scot' train

6. Some small carriages to accompany your superb terriers

7. Perhaps think about a small range or mk1 support carriages for modellers looking to use steam specials on their layouts, Duchess of sutherland, tornado etc all have specific support coaches.

I hope these ideas are welcomed,

I am very much looking forward to the A3, A4 and west country locos,

Rich

Hi Rich

With regard to your first point, While undoubtedly popular I don't really think that the responses to this thread reflect an overwhelming popularity of modern image as opposed to steam. A recent N Gauge Society survey found that by far the most popular era is still steam/green diesel transition period and given the sample size I think that far more likely to be representative than what we see here.

While none of the steam classes you suggest appeal to me especially, I too await keenly the A3 and A4 models which I am sure will be very popular indeed if of the quality that is promised.

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

In their previous incarnation, Dapol always did well with small tank engines in OO–Terrier, Pug, J94–all now in the Hornby range of course. Much more recently,there has been the Beattie Well Tank and the forthcoming LSWR O2 class. Hornby rarely tackle this type of loco and even Bachmann don't have many, mostly preferring larger types such as the Jinty, 57xx and the like.

So here are a few suggestions: J69 (various liveries possible including a special Liverpool Street pilot version), N7 (not exactly small, but the same comments apply with regard to livery), Midland 1F 0-6-0T with half-cab, GW 1366 0-6-0PT used on the Wenford Bridge and Weymouth Quay lines (possible Kernow target?)

In N gauge I'd support the calls for a class 120—widely used and with a distinctive appearance which makes it stand out much more the the 119.

My suggestion for 4mm 00

Class 59s all variations 0, 1s & 2s along a decent selection of hoppers JHA JMA & the box type wagons that run behind them the IHA steel wagon sould be a winner as well that would complement the current steel wagons already on the market and an F2 type ferrywagon would be good as well.

More engineers stock as in fish kind wagons and dare I say a tamper or yellow plant of some sort would go down well

A decent and cheaper than Hornby MGR wagon (Please please please)

321/22 EMU and a decent 156 Sprinter unit

Cheers

6Y99

• RMweb Premium

(4mm scale) Another vote for small tank locos - I model BR/SR but would find a J67/69 to the standard of the Beatties just irresistible!

Also maybe a small industrial tank and definitely a GWR 1366 (the chassis of which could also power the earlier 1361 0-6-0ST?)

And how about a set of decent 60s/70s era Freightliner flats (sorry, don't know the TOPS codes).

Top of my wishlist would be almost anything Southern - S15, 700 0-6-0, 4COR, 2HAL - a man can dream.......

Looking on Hattons you have a list of 136 items of Big Four OO wagons and trucks, (the more the merrier). How about some brake vans to pull behind them. LMS for me please.

A nice 'Reverse Stanier' would go down well- or perhaps something long-lived and of pre-grouping origin?

Remembering Dapol's heritage is in Wagons, I can think of two big absentees from anyone's RTR range right now:

How about some Iron Ore hoppers to run behind a 9F or one of Hornby's just announced O1 2-8-0s to produce an accurate representation of the Tyne-Dock to Consett steel works trains during the 50s & 60s.

Some ex NER design 20T coal hopper wagons could be a good seller as well, these ran from early 1900s right trough LNER and well into BR days, and used all over the North East of England, with a virtual monopoly of coal traffic. PO coal wagons didn't exist in this part of the world. The hoppers survived in NCB ownership well after the end of steam and I remember still seeing sidings full of them right up to the point the miner's strike of the early 80s closed most of the NE coalfield.

I like the sound of both of those! Talking of things of a hopperish nature, as you've mentioned the Tyne Dock iron ore hoppers, how about the ICI limestone hoppers- Very long-lived, so maybe attractive to both steam and diesel modellers.

On a slightly less ambitious scale, maybe an LMS Coke hopper, and their various BR derivatives. I guess the LMS bogie coal hopper (the big rather Germanic-styled beasties used on the Stonebridge Park power station traffic) might be a bit of an ask though...

Loco-wise, some great suggestions so far- an industrial of some kind would definitely be attractive if you can find the right prototype- something suitably widespread geographically. Someone mentioned the Midland Johnson half-cab 0-6-0T- Yes Please to one of those!

Lol don't worry about it. :-)

I fully admit to having a bad day that day and posted accordingly.

While I have not been asked by my CEO to post here, I do it for the good of the company and hopefully RMwebbers.

The request was mine and mine alone in my position of Product Development Manager, and trust me when I say there have been many worthy ideas posted that I hadn't thought about, some of those have made 'the list', some have made the catalogue and work has started, some have made the top of the list and will be carried into the 2013 catalogue, and some have been considered as not where we wish to go 'at present'.

Only a very few have been dismissed as not where we think we want to go as a company.

I still welcome suggestions, so please, if your not bored with doing so or reading even more, contribute.

However I think we have tapped a rich vein as JGP has mentioned. Maybe each year we have a wish list section open for a month, divided into sub categories for people to post suggestions to?

I see other wish lists and polls etc and wonder about the demographic, but on here it's more spread and probably more indicative of what the market actually wants.

We won't be publishing any 'results' as this was not what this exercise was for, as it is a brain storming session for like minded people.

Anyway, there's no doubt about it, Dapol/myself have gained immeasurably from this and I thank you all

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for this Update Dave, gives us all an idea of how our ramblings go down!

320 posts in three days tells you that you've hit the spot. This will be interesting.

Rgds

Mark

Electrostars in N please..

* Yep, I'd go with that.

* Also Mk2 coaches in NSE livery.

* And what happened about the 205 thumper in N? That'd be good.

* Finally what about a 5BEL in N using the Hornby OO research (presuming you guys talk)

G.

With all the froth about the F**l loco and if Dapol want to go out on a limb, how about the GWR 'Kruger' if we are talking ugly loco. That certainly fell (Ha Ha) out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down.

Tongue firmly in cheek, Mark

BTW Class 33 in N would be good Dave!

While I have not been asked by my CEO to post here, I do it for the good of the company and hopefully RMwebbers.

We won't be publishing any 'results' as this was not what this exercise was for, as it is a brain storming session for like minded people.

Anyway, there's no doubt about it, Dapol/myself have gained immeasurably from this and I thank you all

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I think the way you interact through the forum to a much greater degree than other manufacturers sometimes puts you in the firing line of the hyper-critics, but overall benefits both sides so thank you.

It has been interesting to follow this thread, and it is noticable that (aside from spats over EMU windows) it has been positive, well reasoned, and mostly practical/viable suggestions, rather than the "I Want a..., I Want a..., I Want a..." we would likely get if it was a certain other manufacturer's name in the title...

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Amongst the 100's of requests, mine will be quite simple.

Just go for a small range of pre-grouping 0-6-0 tank locomotives whether they are in N, 00, 0 gauge or all?

There is a SERIOUS lack in them and afterall, not everyone has the room for 12 coach express hauled rakes but just small shunting layouts and small branches, like i will do eventually!

Regards Robert Thompson

Who drives past your factory some days in the bus on route 2

I am afraid it's a bit of an "I want" as the arguments have been made elsewhere over and over ....

A J15 in OO please (or the ex GER E4 2-4-0)

And bulk grain wagons for the 1950s/6os period.

Archived