Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

Not often given the chance for a wishlist so why not give it a go!

My choice would be 56 ton iron ore hoppers (00 or N) as used on the special trains from Tyne Dock to Consett. However, they were not exclusive to this route as at a later date they transported ore from Teeside. A rake of 9 as standard hauled by a 9F with a Q6 as a banker ( another suggestion!) or by double headed Class 24's or 37's of green or blue. So as you see from one wish of a type of wagon numerous options!

Ken

The broader option including the Tyne Dock - Consett hoppers would be for Dapol to carve out the NER lines territory as 'theirs'. A strategy to go out and provide a suite of well thought out key models to enable a distinct geographical area to be modelled from RTR might pay off. The NER lines offer a raft of suitable subjects with pretty decent wishlist showings...

Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I read ( and posted on) the first 3 or 4 pages and haven't read all of the rest but...................

One thing that crops up fairly regularly is the wish for a relatively modern dockside crane. The existing ex Airfix one dates from way back but still gets used "out of period" on countless layouts because, apart from a couple of very obviously continental options, it is all that's available. I would guess that the real things are generally expected to last a long time and, for most of us at least, can be considered generic-ish. So, something from the 50s or 60s that could reasonablyhave been expected to last 30 or 40 years would suit a lot of people and inspire a lot of new layouts........I would humbly suggest!

Lots of interesting suggestions for new models but my thinking is around filling the gaps in the existing range and complementing/finishing off things we have already bought from Dapol.

I think an HST TRFB is in order, given how many HSTs must have sold! Likewise (though likely less saleable) a TGS.

Mk3 loco-hauled buffet to complement WSMR and various WCML releases.

Mk3 TSO and Buffet-derived vehicles for NMT and EWS Management train (lots of us bought 67029 and have no use for the DVT!)

Mk3 Royal Train vehicles to complement the 67s.

67s in unbranded Arriva blue (they've got around a bit in that livery already)

Chiltern 'Mainline' 67 + Mk3 box set

Blue Spot van in Duck Egg blue (they also wore Rail Blue with newspaper branding, didn't they?)

Class 153 in Wessex Black 'Cathedral' livery and fGW 'Flying destinations'

Class 26 in Highland dress (headlights, catcher recess etc) - Twin packs?

Network Rail wagons as produced in OO

And for my 'leftfield' new product, given we've had catenary, 86s, Freightliner flats, Mk3s etc etc, something for the 'DC' lines? 378s (which are seen all over London now) or even LU '72 stock?

Nothing worse than buying something you can't make a complete train with. At the moment that is true for quite a few Dapol models of recent prototypes. You have to buy stuff quickly when it comes out, but then you find that other things to go with what you've bought aren't forthcoming...

Furthermore, refining and filling gaps might allow a bit more focus on quality control...

DapolDave - I'm very much looking forward to seeing the O guage developments and I wish you luck with the venture - I hear a rumour of a SR/BR tank engine, a diesel shunter & then a small GWR tank loco? I preseme you are going to supply these all unnumbered so that the purchaser can then add the number of their choice (like how Heljan do their O guage diesels). Please don't fall into the trap of putting numbers on them for the O guage market! - I'm sure you know that. It'll be the diesel shunter I'd be interested in (I presume an 08 is the logical choice??) - as long as it's a super smooth runner it'll sell well for sure with all the liveries available....

Hi Deltic 17,

Please don't believe all you hear as rumours must be treated as that until the catalogue is out, such is the movable feast that is Dapol at the moment.

To give an example, I'm now looking at 2 more O gauge items for production this year that I hadn't considered a few weeks ago, thanks to this wish list. And no I'm not telling ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave

The Dapol O gauge info as reported above is all in their printed catalogue sent out to customers - I have one here but refrained from posting the detail as I did wonder....I also note the Tower website appears to be not functioning atm my bookmarked link plus other searches show "page not found"

Chris

Archived