Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

I hope that whatever Dapol bring out sells well and ensures their business continues to prosper, if I'm lucky some of it will be suitable for me*, if not then, no matter, I'll live and still be able to build a layout.

*An N gauge hippo (175/0 or 175/1) would be good.

oh and a new class 50

This can only be a matter of time - surely?

..... as well as a 33?

Having said that one always wants something to be left to (realistically) wish for!

LMS Inspection Saloon more likely from other lot as Farish ate doing one for N Gauge Society. I still think we might get RTR broad gauge in N. oh and a new class 50

RTR broadgauge is getting slowly closer. Once the 3D printing world is up to it and you can include textures then you may have a chance ;)

Had a dream- new OO class 92 utilising research done for n version, in the dream elvis was driving it, not sure if that reduces the chances or not!

mark

Can't have been Elvis. He's firing Locomotion No.1 in O-gauge......... :no:

Les

eeeeaaahhhmmmm, it's only just over a week from June. I realise there was an announcement that the catalogue might be ready for the end of May, but I think the same went for earlier months, too.

I'm not nit-picking (much), but just a suggestion - the contents of the catalogue must be known by now, so why not release a list so that people can plan their spending (and layouts)? Unless there are going to be a raft of products available as soon as the catalogue appears, I don't see the difference, except with a list you don't get pictures...

By the way, if there's not a class 31/class 50 (or both) and Mk2 air-cons in N, I'll eat my computer screen!

Hi Michael,

Whilst I understand your point, I'm afraid there will be no announcements other than what we announced in March before the catalogue is released.

The catalogue will include at the very minimum cad/cam pictures and at the most pictures of production/pre production models for youto see.

No more announcing and not having marked progress with the models I'm glad to say.

So, to keep the surprise, no prior announcements, sorry. However I look forward to seeing pictures of you eating your monitor ;-)

Cheers

Dave

However I look forward to seeing pictures of you eating your monitor ;-)

So that's no 31, 50 and Mk2 aircons - right I can strike that from my list of things Dapol might produce in the next 12-18 months. So by judicious deduction that means there must be a 15,16,17, 21,22, 27 (that's a long shot), 29, 30(lol), 33, 40 (to spoil the Bach model), 41, 43 (cos a NB is so different), 53, 59 and every DMU other than a 101/5/8.

Speculation, this is a highly honed list of what you have to be producing by process of elimination :)

I am just going through my Ian Allen pocket book of every steam locomotive ever to pull together my definitive list of what Dapol are planning in the next 12-18 months.

If it's not all there in the catalogue I am giving up modelling railways and will take up collecting Star Wars memorabilia, at least George Lucas doesn't take his fans for granted.

• RMweb Gold

I am more than happy to wait to find out about new items till they are about to be released.

I can then order at the time they are due out rather than putting in advanced orders and then wait many months or a few years. The only time when I am happy to find out for instance, is when Dapol announce the bullied light pacifics within a day or two of me about to start modifying a Farish one!

I am not saying Dapol necessarily do this but I have had some other manufacturers locos (USA one) on order now for a few years with no idea iwhen or if they will turn up - Murphys law will say they will all turn up at the same time as an order for other items on advance order making that month a very expensive one!!

• RMweb Premium

I am not saying Dapol necessarily do this but I have had some other manufacturers locos (USA one) on order now for a few years with no idea iwhen or if they will turn up - Murphys law will say they will all turn up at the same time as an order for other items on advance order making that month a very expensive one!!

Hi

Surely if you have them on advance order then you can put money aside to cover it when they eventually turn up (thats what I do anyway) and delays just mean you get interest on the money you have stashed.

Cheers

Paul

I'm looking forward to finally seeing what is in the catalogue, and I am sure there will be plenty I will be adding to my shopping list, but Dapol still have some work to do to convince me that what is announced will be delivered. Under their previous MD the plan seemed to be to just put out lists of every class of loco known to man just to scare Bachmann off producing them in N, with the models never seeing the light of day for years, if ever.

Now Bachmann themselves used to do this to a degree, but what irked me about Dapols approach was that a long list of planned locos was published, then year after year other new announcements came out with no sign of the previous ones. Thankfully this approach seems to have been changed, but I would like some clarity around the models I am still waiting for:

Class 56

Class 142

Class 92

Class 390 (apparently dropped indefinitely)

Class 43 twin packs

Mk3 buffet

HIA wagons

JNA wagons

MJA wagons

And the less said about the class 70 the better (announced online then withdrawn the next day presumably after Bachmann informed them they have exclusive rights to the class)

My point is that for a company with the slogan 'delivering our promises', this is a pretty embarrassing situation to be in.

I applaud Dapols commitment to the scale, and the vastly improved quality of construction over the past few years, but hope this catalogue, so long in gestation, draws a line under this issue and as Dave has suggested, includes models that are genuinely in advanced stages of design and production, and also clarifies once and for all the status of these still missing models do we can treat the new catalogue as a comprehensive and reliable source of information.

David

Dave

With regards to the up coming 7mm 08 have you guys given any thought on altering the livery on the two green ones, As I understand they are to be both green with no wasp stripes one with early crest one with late.

Is there any chance on changing the late crest version to add the wasp stripes as this probably seems to be the most popular option.

This would be the one that I would want first probably with a black one in early crest to follow.

You would be saving me the cost of getting my painter to add the wasp stripes after purchase.

Many Thanks

Hi David,

i can update 'some' of this for you, but the rest you will have to wait for.

Firstly, 'Delivering our promises' was dropped as a strap line well over a year ago!

Secondly if you read some of the threads here you would know about the 56, as it has been displayed in painted format at the previous 3 shows and will again be shown in the latest revised deco this weekend at the NGS AGM.

The 142 is in it's almost final iteration cad/cam wise and progress will be shown this year with a view to release just before Christmas.

390 is common knowledge that it's now a back burner item as overheads definately do not sell in N gauge (we had to make the 86 and catenary to prove this missive of our competitor). Ditto class 92 for the time being.

Hope this helps with your clarity issue!

cheers

Dave

43 twin packs are also common knowledge, as they were dropped in favour of the train set packs. (only the NR twin pack has appeared).

Buffet, same as the 56 and in fact the FGW one is on the ship as i speak and should be here in 3 weeks or so given a fair wind.

And to clarify matters, the 70 was announced before we had permission from F.L., which in hindsight was wrong to do as this was an exclusive arrangement with a 3rd party.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Surely if you have them on advance order then you can put money aside to cover it when they eventually turn up (thats what I do anyway) and delays just mean you get interest on the money you have stashed.

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Thats always the intention but normally find something else to buy in the meantime!!

Ian

Dave, thanks for the update - I appreciate the balance you need to strike on here between engaging with your often grumbling customers, and protecting business confidentiality, which is not easy to achieve.

I will be reading the catalogue with interest when it arrives. Incidentally, will you be updating your website with a full products selection when it comes out, or will we need to get the printed version for all the details.

David

Dave, thanks for the update - I appreciate the balance you need to strike on here between engaging with your often grumbling customers,

I think most of us are probably more frustrated than "grumbling", Grumbling implies complaining without any real substance to your argument - whereas the fact that the catalogue is 3 months late (so far) can be proven from the very first post in this thread which has delayed a lot of people's plans as to whether to proceed with a layout idea or to take it down a different route based on the availability (or non availability) of items from Dapol.

390 is common knowledge that it's now a back burner item as overheads definately do not sell in N gauge (we had to make the 86 and catenary to prove this missive of our competitor). Ditto class 92 for the time being.

It's a shame you feel that way Dave. Perhaps the arrival of an AC emu from Farish, alongside your excellent 86, will help to nudge things in the right direction. The availability of these items, together with the catenary from Dapol, has already transformed the situation for ac modellers, certainly enough to tempt a few more punters in, but the 92 and Pendolino would make it viable for many more. It seems there's a predicament for N gauge electrics - the market still needs needs RTR releases to drive it forward, but it's not going to offer manufacturers huge returns in the short-term, particularly when there's money to be made elsewhere.

Maybe we should cut Dapol some slack. They don't have to produce anything at all if they don't want to and if they wanted to could choose to scrap the catogue with no explanation. So credit to DapolDave for continuing to update us.

Personally I'd far rather they made models that sell and provide funds for further products than risking it with poor sellers because either they promised earlier or it's my particular niche.

As to the Pendolino not only is it restricted to AC but one route at that and only in the last ten years. So it rules out a lot of modellers - it's hard to even use the excuse of a railtour or special working

Archived