Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

I want to register my vote for an RTR 009 loco. This is a largely untapped market which needs to move forward into RTR production. We all have our favourites (Leek & Manifold Kitson 2-6-4T seeing as you ask) but from an investment point of view a simple 0-4-0T would be the best place to start. A loco that was too company specific might have a limited appeal, but something a little more generic and capable of fitting into a number of scenarios might stand a better chance; a Hunslet quarry loco has already been mentioned, I believe. However whatever the choice, it is going to have to have credibility on the modelling scene. Therefore the quality of the final product is going to be an important issue.

I think the Aspinall class A 0-6-0, the 2-4-2 tank and perhaps the feeble Austin 7 0-8-0 in 00 would bring the neglected L&Y into its rightful place, all three were built in large numbers and some survived into the sixties.

I see they have already been nominated, especially the 0-6-0. Think about it, Dave!

There have been a fair few votes for the LSWR Blackmotor and the Caley Jumbo - well these are almost the same locomotive and the Highland's Barney is also much the same.

So, with a little care on the detailing, you can have three locomotives for the price of one; all of which lasted from before the first war into nationalisation, and in the case of the Jumbos until near the end. Surely that has got to be a winner!

4mm for me, with splashers wide enough to get P4 in!

Joking aside Dave, if you were going down this route drop me a line, I know where to find the Highland's prototype information and I doubt it will take me long to get to the Caley's either.........

• RMweb Premium

Going slightly away from the theme of individual engines, coaches or wagons, I think it would be interesting to develop a range of items linked to a specific preserved line. I see no reason why this should not just be linked to rolling stock but also looking at the iconic buildings and structures of the line.

This would seem to be more suitable to 4mm rather than 2mm scale and it would obviously have to be one of the major lines rather than one of the smaller ones.

Going slightly away from the theme of individual engines, coaches or wagons, I think it would be interesting to develop a range of items linked to a specific preserved line. I see no reason why this should not just be linked to rolling stock but also looking at the iconic buildings and structures of the line.

This would seem to be more suitable to 4mm rather than 2mm scale and it would obviously have to be one of the major lines rather than one of the smaller ones.

Aren't there already several North Yorksire Moors Railway and Bluebell Railway buildings available from Hornby and/or Bachmann??

• RMweb Premium

Aren't there already several North Yorksire Moors Railway and Bluebell Railway buildings available from Hornby and/or Bachmann??

Bachmann certainly do some buildings, whilst these are lovely buildings they seem to have missed a trick. If you were to link these to a range of rolling stock as well I think there would be a greater appeal for the general public. If you were to add in a range of figures as well with short biographies of the people they were meant to represent then there is the potential to develop a more advance accurate Thomas style system (without the faces on the rolling stock!) appealing to children who might feel they are too old for Thomas and their families but with models that could equally be used elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

a bit leftfield......

Surround "atmospheric" sound, for layouts using multiple speakers.

Background noises for things like station announcements.

Specific sound files for different types of rolling stock going over joints etc.

Sound therefore not just restricted to locos.

And how about smell?

Aromas for that unmistakeable BR diesel smell. The aroma of MkIII coach brakes. Not to mention steam oil and smoke.

I'll get my coat.

You can get a RTR tamper - you will need to pay a bit more than that though

http://www.britannia...o.uk/TAMPER.htm

HTH

Jim

Hi Jim,

I was already aware of the BPM version, although the price is a little more than I (and I assume many others) would like to pay. I think that many modellers would like a Tamper (including myself), but I'm not sure how much money many of those who say they want one would actually be willing to pay. In the 2011 MREmag poll, I understand that 17 modellers voted for a OO Tamper from a total of 950 modellers who voted in the OO section, representing approximately 1.8 per cent of the sample. Bearing in mind that the locomotives that topped the poll were only requested by between five and eight percent of modellers, I think that the demand for a Tamper is undeniably significant.

It is possible that some of those who voted were unaware of the BPM model, but I would interpret the results as demand for a model that fills the gap between the affordable HO version sold by Bachmann and the BPM model. However, there are numerous different types of Tamper and whichever version an enterprising manufacturer were to produce, there will be modellers who would rather have seen a different type or livery. Secondly, understanding the relationship between price and demand (ie the shape of the demand curve) is potentially more important for a Tamper than many other items of rolling stock (because there are so few alternatives to benchmark against). Bachmann produce two versions of their HO model: a powered and an unpowered one. I can only assume that the first is to cater for those who want a running model (for which they would presumably expect to pay a price comparable to a high-spec locomotive), while the second is to cater for those who want a scenic item to sit in a siding (who may only be willing to pay a price comparable to a coach). Personally, I'd like a model around the price point of the Bachmann MPV (and to a similar standard), but I'm not sure how others feel.

I bought one of those last year. Splendid model, highly recommended. Usual dislaimer, no connection just a very happy customer.

It's nice to hear that the BPM model is worth its money as I may buy one eventually (if finances permit) - it's just more important for me to build a layout to run it on before shelling out £300! If something more affordable comes alomg in the meantime - I'll probably have that instead.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

My wishlist is:-

N Gauge

- Class 158 / 159 DMU in 2/3car format. Nicely follows on from the 142, 153 & 158. Wide spread in all corners of the network!

- Class 155 DMU - Still running around in West Yorkshire, and possible the 153s in future maybe reformed as 155s.

- Class 144 Pacer (potential for the 143 as well). - Wasn't this announced when the 142 was by clever use of the tooling??

- Falcons

OO gauge

- A decent OO track system!

I previously mentioned the LNER/BR J70 Tram engine. This is a 0-6-0T wheel base. This model could be modelled as a Y10 0-4-0T with a similar chassis block to the sentinel shunter. Giving 2 options for modelling. But there is also another option which may create a lot more sales with families and children and some grownup 'children' and that is Toby the Tram Engine from Thomas. It would be nice to have a scale model of the Tram Engines and also could be useful with less detail as Toby.

Mark

As is always the answer when asked the question "What do you want?": Class 442 Wessex Electric

I'd also love to see Class 377s and Class 165/166s

Also, I'll echo the calls for an Industrial Loco, ideally I'd like to see Steam and Diesel Industrials available.

(Of course, all of the above is in N Gauge.)

Its a shame that farish never perfected their 31's like they did with the 37s /47s the nearest cab correct looking ive seen is lima 31 but ....too wide, way too short . growing up with these and train spotting them back in 1974 at 10 yrs old and most common loco on the eastern region. 31s used to run passed our school across the playing fields back in 1977 with their goods ..so again dave please complete my wish.

Mark.

Archived