Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

Maybe Dapol could go down the vehicle route in N-gauge, quite a lot to choose from, cars, vans, lorrys etc.

Graham.

and perhaps some 1:148 buses. :D

G.

My and Richard's turns with the invisible ink pens... :paint:

N Gauge road vehicles would be better particularly 1980's on wards.
Yes.. How about a British N-gauge Bristol VR and Leyland National to start with... :senile: :devil:

OK, here i fly my flag.

I'd love to do N gauge busses and vehicles to 1:148 scale.

Indeed we had a tasty scale routemaster cad/cam done a few years back and were very close to pressing the button for a terrific plastic model, including seats flush glazing (not recessed etc), then one came out in die cast, so we decided against it.

Again we also looked at Transit vans and modern cars, but licencing was an issue was getting permission was quite easy, but the cost of the licence to use the logo and name was out of ours, and i suspect most model railway companies bodgets.

This is probably why older vehicles where the cmpany is no longer in existance are made instead of younger ones, as there is no licence to pay, although this may change as existing car and van companies (even bus companies) realise what they still own by way of older names of cars and companies, and envoke this ownership.

This is already being seen in model railway locomotives and rolling stock, Trainload Coal, RES etc have been noticed by a certain company as being part of their protfolio and they have made overtures as to royalty payments.

Cheers

Dave

Again we also looked at Transit vans and modern cars, but licencing was an issue was getting permission was quite easy, but the cost of the licence to use the logo and name was out of ours, and i suspect most model railway companies bodgets.

Cheers

Dave

I always think it is strange companies want to charge for a bit of product placement, looks like gone are the days when Shell paid Tri-ang to put their name on the tankers.

• RMweb Gold

How about modern vans in plain white, red, blue etc. then leave any branding up to the individual? This would mean just one license being obtained.

How are Network Rail about getting licenses at reasonable prices, as modern N scale ones can be seen in all over the UK and often in multiple at one location?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

This is probably why older vehicles where the cmpany is no longer in existance are made instead of younger ones, as there is no licence to pay, although this may change as existing car and van companies (even bus companies) realise what they still own by way of older names of cars and companies, and envoke this ownership.

If you have a look at the back page of an Oxford Diecast catalogue you'll find lots of words explaining where all the trademarks and designs have been licenced from. These include Bedford vehicle body TK, HA and CA as Vauxhall trademarks whilst Austin and Morris belong to Nanjing Automobile Group.

I'm guessing like TOCs, some are less concerned about their vehicles and logos being reproduced - or are happy to let their old deisngs be licensed for pennys compared to newer designs.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

This is already being seen in model railway locomotives and rolling stock, Trainload Coal, RES etc have been noticed by a certain company as being part of their protfolio and they have made overtures as to royalty payments.

Cheers

Dave

I Don't know about railway operators, but for bus operators, there is a lot of variation in how they allow their image to be used for models.

Regarding current (post privatisation) liveries, one of the big national operating groups was at one time alegedly demanding £1 per bus sold from the diecast manufacturers, while another had an exclusive deal with one manufacturer rumoured to be a 5 figure sum over the period of the deal... Contrast that with one of the larger independents who see it as free publicity and the only conditions are that the MD aproves the liveries before production and gets one to go in the cabinet in his office!

For older liveries (NBC and earlier) there is an odd situation where due to the way NBC reconfigured its operating companies over the years, a present day company of the same name may not own the rights to previous liveries/logos - the NBC double arrow for example is a trademark of National Express Coaches, regardless of what fleetname you put next to it (even though they haven't used it themselves for over a decade)

Paul

You could always get around that problem by releasing the model as a Forde Transet or a similar name. ;)

• RMweb Gold

OK, here i fly my flag.

I'd love to do N gauge busses and vehicles to 1:148 scale.

Indeed we had a tasty scale routemaster cad/cam done a few years back and were very close to pressing the button for a terrific plastic model, including seats flush glazing (not recessed etc), then one came out in die cast, so we decided against it.

Cheers

Dave

Oh thats a shame Dave - best stick to safe ground then, BR green and banger blue.....

Hee hee

Phil

• RMweb Premium

This is already being seen in model railway locomotives and rolling stock, Trainload Coal, RES etc have been noticed by a certain company as being part of their portfolio and they have made overtures as to royalty payments.

Perhaps you could produce packets of corporate lawyers, cheaply moulded in a frangible material, for us to lash to the track in front of our trains. Unbranded of course.

• RMweb Premium

Well you've made lots of coaches but where are the passengers? How about bulk packs of unpainted seated passengers. Not just singles but pairs. If these were done for n gauge then there would only need to be a limited number of designs as the view within is limited.

Well you've made lots of coaches but where are the passengers? How about bulk packs of unpainted seated passengers. Not just singles but pairs. If these were done for n gauge then there would only need to be a limited number of designs as the view within is limited.

I'll second that, it frustrates me a little to see so many layouts (of all scales) where the coaches are brightly lit and otherwise empty.

Dave

HSTs in East Coast and East Midlands liveries.

67 and stock in Arriva Trains Wales livery (they've not got round to sticking any vinyls on the real ones yet, but as they've been painted it's on,y a matter of time!)

67 and stock in Chiltern livery (when the completed version appears)

• RMweb Gold

Having marvelled at the recent Dapol B-B (had my vote in diesel model of the year 2011) and looking forward to the class 21/29 how about a definitive class 24/25?

Having spent the last few nights detailing an old Hornby bodyshell into a 24/1 one is bound to come along now....surely?

Neil

Thinking of the 31 in 'n' if it was to be included .... it would actually be much better than the farish, for a start it would be dcc ready a better chassis for sound fitting without having to hack it like the farish and of course better cab styling Still it is a wish list and dave said to go for it as everyone else has on their wants and wishes. They were a very common loco kings cross liverpool st Broad street finsbury park etc...

Mark. :)

Archived