A4 locos on freight - a couple of photos

• RMweb Gold

While browsing through Dad's early 1950s photos I came across these two of A4s on freight just north of Grantham in the early 1950s.

It was not an uncommon sight but there don't seem to be too many photos of them working goods trains.

post-5613-0-05113200-1325705930_thumb.jpg

A4 60017 Silver Fox up gods Grantham North early 50s JVol1120

post-5613-0-09302900-1325705935_thumb.jpg

A4 possibly 60019 Bittern up goods Grantham North early 1950s JVol1144

They will be on flickr in the ECML Grantham to Newark set in http://www.flickr.co...57626274215250/

I didn't paste the link to the set of photos as I didn't want it to embed here.

David

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating and unusual photos David. Thanks for putting them up. I remember seeing 60700 regularly on goods in my spotting days at Wood Green, but I don't recall ever seeing 'Streaks' on goods.

I remember asking someone about this and the tale I was told (I've not tried to verify it) is that once a loco was released from it's train at Edinburgh, they'd hook any waiting freight to it and see how far they could get it before the axle boxes on the wagons seized up or were pulled to allow passenger workings to pass, at which point the loco would leave it in the loop and continue to the depot.

it's an amusing tale, no idea how true it is.

Guest Max Stafford

Once the inter-regional transfers between Millerhill and Kingmoor started up in 1963, it was common to see A4s on these services. 60027 and 60031 were regulars.

Even in the 1950s there was an overnight Canal to Niddrie freight that was diagrammed for an A4.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Brilliant thread - can't believe I missed this. Cracking photographs too.

In the terrific book Mallard and the A4 Class, there is a super shot on page 65 of Walter K. Whigham on the "No. 266 Down" Scotch Goods from King's Cross, and a very unique shot of Silver Fox on page 68 with the "Anglo-Scottish Car-Carrier" service, something I had not heard or seen before reading this book.

One for Gilbert of Peterborough North fame - in the same book on page 89 there is Dominion of New Zealand pulling the 266 Down, passing Dominion of Canada in 1962. A superb shot that could be recreated.

There's a few more cracking freight and A4 combinations in there too. Well worth purchasing if you have a fondness for all things A4.

Bittern on a loose coupled train of coal empties.

When my Dad took me on a day trip to Edinburgh (I guess about 1962 or 1963) I remember seeing Bittern in a layby/loop on a freight. It was absolutely filthy! I am always astounded when I see the numerous pictures of it looking spectacular on the Aberdeen 3 hour services several years later - and at York station on Specials much more recently!

• RMweb Premium

One for Gilbert of Peterborough North fame - in the same book on page 89 there is Dominion of New Zealand pulling the 266 Down, passing Dominion of Canada in 1962. A superb shot that could be recreated.

I did give this subject a mention on that thread somewhere.

I've also seen pictures of 2 different A4s on bogie bolster trains in 2 different books - not sure which ones tho.

I did give this subject a mention on that thread somewhere.

My apologies sir, I was not aware of that.

I've also seen pictures of 2 different A4s on bogie bolster trains in 2 different books - not sure which ones tho.

That sounds rather intriguing. It's somewhat surprising the varied trains the A4s found themselves on during, immediately post-war, and thereafter.

Plus of course the Scotch Goods (KX--Niddrie)--well documented A4 working up to end of ECML steam.

No. 266 Down Scotch Goods was well known for low flying. Although it was a Class C fast goods, it usually had an A4 (sometimes a V2) with a top link crew. Gerry Fiennes in his book "I tried to run a railway" describes how the legendary Bill Hoole covered the 27 miles from Hitchin to Huntingdon in 20 minutes. There is another story of No. 266 being delayed over an hour and departing KX at around 4.25pm, but catching up to the Talisman at Retford!

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

Lots of companies ran express van trains - parcels, fish, perishables, especially during the "seasons" - strawberries or broccoli from Cornwall etc.

But foxy sexy express engines dragging oily rusty bolsters and coals........... (not on the GWR :nono: )

I can almost imagine 'A goods train, a goods train, the shame of it, the shame of it' (with appologies to W.Awdry)

Well they were classed as 8P6F, so the railway company expected them to work on pretty heavy freights.

I love Mick Nick's photo of Bittern on mineral empties at Hessle but I suspect it is very untypical. I was a regular spotter at Hessle in the early 60s and can confirm that I never saw an A4 there. They were as rare as hen's teeth in Hull. I have heard that this was because they were not allowed to cross the bridge at Goole but I would like someone to confirm or disprove that.

Ian

I seem to remember reading something by Dr Tuplin in which he describes seeing at A4 on a freight train on the Worsborough Branch (between Wath and Penistone) during WW2. But unfortunately, no picture.

Alan

• 3 years later...

I remember seeing a 'strange' A4 - ie. not a Scottish region allocated loco - passing through Kirkcaldy at the head of a lengthy rake of 16T minerals. I was told it was on its way to Thornton shed (62A), which by then was one of the few remaining with heavy maintenance equipment, such as wheel drops etc.

Andy.

Archived