A4 locos on freight - a couple of photos

Hi Ian

I also used to spot at Hessle in the '60s and similarly I never saw an A4 either. You may well be right about the 'bridge restriction', however I was always led to believe it was the bridge over Dairycoates yard that they were not permitted to run over.

As a local expert, maybe MickNich knows?

There is video of an A4 on Parcels traffic.

B & R Video Volume 150 "Along Southern Lines - Part 2" has, from 27:19 to 28:38 footage of 60022 Mallard reversing with a parcels van in the yard at Walton-on-Thames station and then setting off, forwards, with a parcels train.   This was filmed in February 1963 by the local signalman.  Mallard had been booked to work a special for the LCGB on 24th February to the West Country (Tiverton via Salisbury).

I assume that the Southern was using the turn to "accustom" their men to working the A4 (!)

• 1 year later...

I remember asking someone about this and the tale I was told (I've not tried to verify it) is that once a loco was released from it's train at Edinburgh, they'd hook any waiting freight to it and see how far they could get it before the axle boxes on the wagons seized up...

it's an amusing tale, no idea how true it is.

This seems absolutely right!

One marvellous summer series of nights wild camping up at Ribblehead (across from the pub) for potholing, I can remember sleeping with my head well out the tent watching as A3s galloped across the viaduct down (actually up) from Aisgill, sparks flying off the fitted trains' van brake blocks. More than once we spotted hot boxes in the darkness!

dh

Ed :nono: Sorry I see this thread is about A4s on freights - I thought it was green engines hauling freight!

• RMweb Premium

Eric Oldham's British Railways Steam in Retrospect has 60028 on a mixture of minerals, plate and boplatss at Gamston in 1955.

Up thread Alan76 mentioned an A4 on the Worsborough incline, Kenneth Oldham's Wartime Woodhead shows 4495 Golden Fleece (one of 2 garter blue A4s he recorded during the war on the Woodhead route) at Newton (Hyde) in December 1941 so these views may show the loco after its freight working over Woodhead.

Simon

Archived