Class 56 bufferbeam cowling cut away and round buffers?

forest2807

Does anyone have any photographic evidence of whether any early series (Romanian or first few British built) Class 56's retained their round buffers after the bufferbeam cowling was removed? I've trawled several sites but found nothing. It seems that all had oval buffers fitted when the cowling was removed but I was hoping there might be an exception. I know the later examples carried oval buffers from new, and I am aware of 56042's test bed status (cowling cut away, round buffers and Class 58 bogies) so don't want to model that one!

Full Cl.47 style cowling was omitted from 56033 onwards as built.

The only loco off the top of my head that fits your remit is 56003, in preservation. Hornby strangely chose this short lived, location specific example as suitable for market.

I'll trawl my Grid pic library, but as you say, round buffers were not in favour for long apparently.

C6T.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any photographic evidence of whether any early series (Romanian or first few British built) Class 56's retained their round buffers after the bufferbeam cowling was removed? I've trawled several sites but found nothing. It seems that all had oval buffers fitted when the cowling was removed but I was hoping there might be an exception. I know the later examples carried oval buffers from new, and I am aware of 56042's test bed status (cowling cut away, round buffers and Class 58 bogies) so don't want to model that one!

I have attached a picture, don't know if it's what you are after since I'm nor sure about the cowling etc.

Any problems opening it send me your e-mail address.

I was thinking of something similiar therefore let me know the outcome, also, where would you get the correct round buffers from ?

Cheers

LJC

• 8 years later...