Automated Motorised Traverser

Deev

Hi Dave, hope your still watching this thread and things are still progressing with your project.

After a 10 month lapse, I've finally got around to connecting up the Arduino board to the stepper motor. I had originally thought of doing a traverser but my attention now is for a turntable.

I've been playing around with a PECO turntable with the stepper motor directly connected to the bridge shaft and I find I can control the motor very well without hardly any jitter and get precise alignment.

Next step is to get the DCC part working hence my 'bump' on here. I remembered you had a number of zip files for the DCC side of the Arduino code but none of the links seem to be working. Are these still available.

Best regards

Ray.

Hi Ray,

My plans for the 'Ultimate' traverser have stopped as I'll be moving house next year to a place with a dedicated 6x2.5m railway room.  As such, I won't need one as I'll have space to use points!

However, I do still have the code, see below.  Let me know if you need help and I'll see what I can do.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=C6CFE21E43493368&resid=C6CFE21E43493368%21159&authkey=ANFaOxzOQgfUx0I

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=C6CFE21E43493368&resid=C6CFE21E43493368%21160&authkey=ANB2K9orPIVwORc

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=C6CFE21E43493368&resid=C6CFE21E43493368%21156&authkey=AGrKuRh4uU7kjO8

Dave

Edited by Deev

Hi Dave,

Are you happy for me to take that code and publish it on Github (or could you publish it yourself?)? I'm starting to add various train-related "stuffs" to my github account to share and have people improve (JMR-Pi is just the start of it!).

I'd hate to see you move away from skydrive and have to repeat the "please can we have the code? yes, it's now on google drive" all over again! :)

Cheers,

Matt

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave,

I've just come across this thread and its exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning to build two traversers for a large loft layout. I've been pondering how to control stepper motors without huge expense and you seem to have managed it.

I will read through the whole thread

Cheers 

Dave

Hi Dave.

You might want to have a look at this thread as well. Its for a DCC controlled turntable but uses the same Arduino, Stepper system and the code would work just as well for a traverser. Just the mechanics that are different.

Ray.

Hi Dave,

Good to see that this thread isn't dead!

As mentioned, I'm not proceeding any further with this traverser as I'll be moving house soon.  I did, however, do a lot of work on the design which I'm happy to share.

For a decent size traverser, and by that I mean, 3000mm+, I think that 2 x steppers would be best.  This gives double the power as well as solving the parallax problem of one motor drive.  It's also cheaper than employing a drive system.  The Arduino and Motor shield can easily handle 2 steppers and they can be programmed to work in unison.

As the motor shield has the capability to drive 2 x servos as well as the steppers, these could be used for aligning the track.  This would lock the traverser in place so that when the power is off it won't move.  Something like a bathroom lock could be employed for this.  When you've got a decent starting point, the steppers just won't go out of position, even after hours of operation.

As for the drive, I reckon that a tensioned belt is not only the cheapest but also the best solution.  There are details how to tension it in this thread elsewhere.

It would be interesting to see how you get on with this, please post photos!

Dave

Hello Gents,

Thanks for the info as I was going mad trying to work out how I was going to even start on this project. Dave, I have seen some linear solenoids that are 12-24v and have a linear displacement of about 15-20mm. I planned to use these as locking bolts at either end.

Length wise they will both be 2800-3000mm long each having about 6 lanes with standing spacing. I'm using a Lenz DCC system and I will need occupancy detection as both tables will be underneath the main scenic boards.

Ray I will take a look at the turntable thread as I am planning on two turntables at the ends of the tables as the layout is designed as end to end.

I would upload my plans for you both to scrutinise but I'm not sure how to add attachments on here.

• 2 months later...

Hello Gents,

Thanks for the info as I was going mad trying to work out how I was going to even start on this project. Dave, I have seen some linear solenoids that are 12-24v and have a linear displacement of about 15-20mm. I planned to use these as locking bolts at either end.

Length wise they will both be 2800-3000mm long each having about 6 lanes with standing spacing. I'm using a Lenz DCC system and I will need occupancy detection as both tables will be underneath the main scenic boards.

Ray I will take a look at the turntable thread as I am planning on two turntables at the ends of the tables as the layout is designed as end to end.

I would upload my plans for you both to scrutinise but I'm not sure how to add attachments on here.

Hi gadget1971

I am waiting since february for your post with plans,   :scratchhead:  I am very insteristing in this threads, and my traverse is in standby waiting a solucion to work.

Have you finish yours.  Tks

• 4 months later...

I've not given up on the traverser but have had a few other things going on to occupy my time lately.

I notice that 'The Germans' have redesigned their traverser for undisclosed reasons:

Looks like an almighty amount of electronics compared to what I was planning.

Edited by Deev
  • Like 1

'tis ferocious in the sheer quantity of electrickery.

it appears to include train control as well as control of the traversers themselves, and there appears to be logic in that it finds, and checks, that the road is clear before sending a train in / out and screens for the despatchers, and, and...

there must be more than a few lines of code in there too.

very clever!

music would drive you up the wall tho'!

Simon

After a bit of research, I arrived at the fact that JMRI is probably the best way of controlling a traverser.  Helpful that it would be to be able to use a handset, it's not very intuitive.

In theory , utilising JMRI means that the USB of the PC can be used to control the layout, instead of burdening the DCC signal with more signals.  Simple enough, but the next challenge is to find a way of connecting an Arduino to the USB.

Helpfully, it looks like the hard bit has already been done here:

http://www.utrainia.com/65-arduinocmri-and-rs485

In short, using an RS485 bus allows multiple Arduinos to communicate with the PC and therefore JMRI via USB.  

As inputs / outputs are cheap and plentiful on the Arduino (the Mega has 54 digital I/O ports, plus another 16 analogue I/O ports!) it got me wondering whether to use the RS485-connected Arduino(s) to control the point motors (and allow feedback) as well as to play sounds (I want proper realistic station announcements on my stalled FAW project) and provide train position detection.

I'm working on a smaller traverser now to test the concept and hope to facilitate train location to accurately stop the trains in the right place.

• 5 weeks later...

After a bit of research, I arrived at the fact that JMRI is probably the best way of controlling a traverser.  Helpful that it would be to be able to use a handset, it's not very intuitive.

In theory , utilising JMRI means that the USB of the PC can be used to control the layout, instead of burdening the DCC signal with more signals.  Simple enough, but the next challenge is to find a way of connecting an Arduino to the USB.

Helpfully, it looks like the hard bit has already been done here:

http://www.utrainia.com/65-arduinocmri-and-rs485

In short, using an RS485 bus allows multiple Arduinos to communicate with the PC and therefore JMRI via USB.  

As inputs / outputs are cheap and plentiful on the Arduino (the Mega has 54 digital I/O ports, plus another 16 analogue I/O ports!) it got me wondering whether to use the RS485-connected Arduino(s) to control the point motors (and allow feedback) as well as to play sounds (I want proper realistic station announcements on my stalled FAW project) and provide train position detection.

I'm working on a smaller traverser now to test the concept and hope to facilitate train location to accurately stop the trains in the right place.

Hi Deev    

Any news about the new traverser;;?

Cheers

Hi JB,

No, not really, my new railway room construction project is taking rather a lot of my time.

However, I have been doing a bit of playing with the 485 bus and the Arduino.  I ordered a couple of Arduino Nanos and their corresponding screw connector boards to allow me to fit them to the layout, which after a 4 week lead time have arrived.  Also arrived, are a huge number of MAX485 chips to allow me to connect them all together.  I've managed to get the Arduino to act as a JMRI sensor / switch so the next step is to see if I can get several of them to work together.

P1090391.JPG

Also, I've bought a few Hall Effect Sensors to see if the Arduino can do position sensing as well, I just need a few evenings to play now!

D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet, I've been somewhat distracted by the prospect of interfacing the Arduino directly to JMRI via RS485 rather than via DCC. More details on my Filton Abbeywood thread.

Edited by Deev

Hi Deev

I am working in a traverser just like your, but I dont want to complicate the things.  My intention is to stop in position of post #57, using the arduino just like an accessory decoder, "calling " the tracks through the command.  But I am in bad situation, because the final code ( post# 57 ) is no more there.

Could you please send me the code just like you made on the post # 57

Tks

Hi JB,

Sorry, I can't because I don't have it any more.  Have a look at post #80 as there are links to some code there.

You'll probably have to do some rewriting of the code as it is very unlikely that it'll do exactly what you want.  Always good to practice some Arduino code writing though!

DAve

Hi JB,

Sorry, I can't because I don't have it any more.  Have a look at post #80 as there are links to some code there.

You'll probably have to do some rewriting of the code as it is very unlikely that it'll do exactly what you want.  Always good to practice some Arduino code writing though!

DAve

Hi Deev

Thank you for your prompt response. The codes at post #80 are about accessory decoder and stepper 6 ( the first one that you post here ) The challenge is to put all together ( if this procedure is correct ) to have a code
just like in your post # 57 because I dont know nothing about Arduino language ( I only know to make connections ) lol....

Try the code below.  It might work.  Use accessory decoder addresses 711 to 717.

Dave

#include <DCC_Decoder.h>
#include <AFMotor.h>

AF_Stepper motor(200, 1);
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// Defines and structures
//
#define kDCC_INTERRUPT            0

typedef struct
{
    int               address;                // Address to respond to
    byte              output;                 // State of output 1=on, 0=off
    int               road;                   // Position of road on the traverser
    boolean           isDigital;              // true=digital, false=analog. If analog must also set analogValue field
    boolean           isFlasher;              // true=flash output, false=no time, no flash.
    byte              analogValue;            // Value to use with analog type.
    int               durationMilli;          // Milliseconds to leave output on for.  0 means don't auto off
    unsigned long     onMilli;                // Used internally for timing
    unsigned long     offMilli;               // 
} DCCAccessoryAddress;

DCCAccessoryAddress gAddresses[8];

//
// Decoder Init 
//
void ConfigureDecoder()
{
    gAddresses[0].address = 711;
    gAddresses[0].output = 1;
    gAddresses[0].road = 0;
    gAddresses[0].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[0].isFlasher = false;
    gAddresses[0].analogValue = 250;
    gAddresses[0].durationMilli = 0;

gAddresses[1].address = 712;
    gAddresses[1].output = 1;
    gAddresses[1].road = 1;
    gAddresses[1].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[1].isFlasher = false;
    gAddresses[1].analogValue = 0;
    gAddresses[1].durationMilli = 0;

gAddresses[2].address = 713;
    gAddresses[2].output = 0;
    gAddresses[2].road = 2;
    gAddresses[2].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[2].isFlasher = true;
    gAddresses[2].analogValue = 250;
    gAddresses[2].durationMilli = 500;

gAddresses[3].address = 714;
    gAddresses[3].output = 0;
    gAddresses[3].road = 3;
    gAddresses[3].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[3].isFlasher = true;
    gAddresses[3].analogValue = 0;
    gAddresses[3].durationMilli = 500;

gAddresses[4].address = 715;
    gAddresses[4].output = 0;
    gAddresses[4].road = 4;
    gAddresses[4].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[4].isFlasher = false;
    gAddresses[4].analogValue = 250;
    gAddresses[4].durationMilli = 0;

gAddresses[5].address = 716;
    gAddresses[5].output = 0;
    gAddresses[5].road = 5;
    gAddresses[5].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[5].isFlasher = false;
    gAddresses[5].analogValue = 0;
    gAddresses[5].durationMilli = 0;

gAddresses[6].address = 717;
    gAddresses[6].output = 0;
    gAddresses[6].road = 6;
    gAddresses[6].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[6].isFlasher = false;
    gAddresses[6].analogValue = 0;
    gAddresses[6].durationMilli = 0;

gAddresses[7].address = 718;
    gAddresses[7].output = 0;
    gAddresses[7].road = 7;
    gAddresses[7].isDigital = true;
    gAddresses[7].isFlasher = false;
    gAddresses[7].analogValue = 0;
    gAddresses[7].durationMilli = 0;

//       // Setup output pins
 //   for(int i=0; i<(int)(sizeof(gAddresses)/sizeof(gAddresses[0])); i++)
 //   {
 //       if( gAddresses.outputPin )
 //       {
 //           pinMode( gAddresses.outputPin, OUTPUT );
 //       }
 //       gAddresses.onMilli = 0;
 //       gAddresses.offMilli = 0;
 //   }
}

//
// Basic accessory packet handler 
//
void BasicAccDecoderPacket_Handler(int address, boolean activate, byte data)
{
        // Convert NMRA packet address format to human address
    address -= 1;
    address *= 4;
    address += 1;
    address += (data & 0x06) >> 1;

boolean enable = (data & 0x01) ? 1 : 0;

for(int i=0; i<(int)(sizeof(gAddresses)/sizeof(gAddresses[0])); i++)
    {
        if( address == gAddresses.address )
        {
  //          Serial.print("Basic addr: ");
  //          Serial.print(address,DEC);
  //          Serial.print("   activate: ");
  //          Serial.println(enable,DEC);

if( enable )
            {
                gAddresses.output = 1;
                gAddresses.onMilli = millis();
                gAddresses.offMilli = 0;
            }else{
                gAddresses.output = 0;
                gAddresses.onMilli = 0;
                gAddresses.offMilli = millis();
            }
        }
    }

}

//
// Setup
//

int posn = 0;
void setup() 
   // DCC setup

Serial.begin(9600);    // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
   DCC.SetBasicAccessoryDecoderPacketHandler(BasicAccDecoderPacket_Handler, true);
   ConfigureDecoder();
   DCC.SetupDecoder( 0x00, 0x00, kDCC_INTERRUPT );

// Stepper setup
   motor.setSpeed(90);  // 90 rpm   

}

//
// Main loop
//
void loop()
{
    static int addr = 0;

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
        // Loop DCC library
    DCC.loop();

// Bump to next address to test
    if( ++addr >= (int)(sizeof(gAddresses)/sizeof(gAddresses[0])) )
    {
        addr = 0;
    }

// Turn off output?
 //   if( gAddresses[addr].offMilli && gAddresses[addr].offMilli<millis() )
 //  {
 //           // Clear off time
 //       gAddresses[addr].offMilli = 0;
 //      
 //           // Disable output
 //       if( gAddresses[addr].isDigital )
 //       {
 //           digitalWrite( gAddresses[addr].outputPin, LOW);
 //       }else{
 //          analogWrite( gAddresses[addr].outputPin, 0);
 //      }
 //       
 //           // If still enabled and a flash type, set on time
 //       if( gAddresses[addr].output && gAddresses[addr].isFlasher)
 //       {
 //           gAddresses[addr].onMilli = millis() + gAddresses[addr].durationMilli;
 //       }else{
 //           gAddresses[addr].output = 0;
 //       }
 //      
 //       return;
 //   }

// Turn on output?

if( gAddresses[addr].onMilli && gAddresses[addr].onMilli<=millis() )
    {
      // Clear off time
        gAddresses[addr].onMilli = 0;

// Enable output
        if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 0)
        {
        Serial.print("Position: ");
        Serial.println(posn, DEC);
        Serial.print("Moving to: ");
        Serial.println(gAddresses[addr].road, DEC);
        Serial.println("Moving: 0");
        posn = gAddresses[addr].road;
        Serial.print("New position: ");
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }      
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == -1)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: -1");
        motor.step(250, BACKWARD, DOUBLE); 
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == -2)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: -2");
        motor.step(500, BACKWARD, DOUBLE); 
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == -3)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: -3");
        motor.step(750, BACKWARD, DOUBLE); 
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == -4)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: -4");
        motor.step(1000, BACKWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }         
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == -5)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: -5");
        motor.step(1250, BACKWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == -6)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: -6");
        motor.step(1500, BACKWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == -7)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: -7");
        motor.step(1750, BACKWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 1)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: +1");
        motor.step(250, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 2)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: +2");
        motor.step(500, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 3)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: +3");
        motor.step(750, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 4)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: +4");
        motor.step(1000, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }         
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 5)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: +5");
        motor.step(1250, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 6)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: +6");
        motor.step(1500, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }  
        else if(gAddresses[addr].road-posn == 7)
        {
        Serial.println("Moving: +7");
        motor.step(1750, FORWARD, DOUBLE);
        Serial.println(" ");
        delay (200);
        }    
        else
        {
        return;
        }
    }
}