DCC Fitting Guides - Requests

Trains4U

could anyone tell me (with Photos) how to take off the body of a Ivatt 4MT?

I can't do pictures straigt away, but there are two silver screws, high up inside each water tank (in the Bachmann model) in addition to the screw at each end of the chassis. these need emoving. the chassis should then drop straight out.

This one had me stumped for a while first time around!

I hope this helps

I can't do pictures straigt away, but there are two silver screws, high up inside each water tank (in the Bachmann model) in addition to the screw at each end of the chassis. these need emoving. the chassis should then drop straight out.

This one had me stumped for a while first time around!

I hope this helps

you might have misunderstand me mate, i mean the ivatt 4MT ie.43106

sorry

• 5 weeks later...

How feasible would it be to convert a Bachman j72 and V1? I assume they'd be hard wired which would be a usefull learning step for me for other P4 kit based projects.

Cheers for any suggestions and ta for the J39 guide.

Steve

How feasible would it be to convert a Bachman j72 and V1? I assume they'd be hard wired which would be a usefull learning step for me for other P4 kit based projects.

Cheers for any suggestions and ta for the J39 guide.

Steve

I've already done a guide for the V1/V3 - I'll try and get that uploaded in the next few days, along with a few others that haven't made it across from the old forum yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the useful guides published so far. Any chance of one for the Bachmann voyager units?

Hi, The process for converting the voyager is almost identical to the class 170 (They use much the same system for the lights)

If I get one in, I'll try and do a seperate guide, but the principles are the same. The only difference is in getting the bodies off. There are more screws on the voyager and a little effort is required to spread the bodyshell sides to release the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been looking for a guide on how to fit a chip in a Bachmann Std 4 2-6-4T. I can't even work out how to get the body off! I seem to recall a thread about it in the past, but I haven't mastered the search tools on here, and it may have been on the old forum anyway.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question, if fitting a smoke unit ( N gauge, Union Mills ) will the Hornby decoder be able to cope ? The spare light wire will be used for switching on and off.

Mr b

• RMweb Gold

Question, if fitting a smoke unit ( N gauge, Union Mills ) will the Hornby decoder be able to cope ? The spare light wire will be used for switching on and off.

Mr b

Hi,

you will need to see what the usage rating is for the smoke unit i.e. 160mA and the output rating from the decoder to see if it will work.

I have used a Hornby decoder (100mA function output) before with a slueth 22 ( needs 160mA ) BUT it takes a long time for the smoke unit to warm up and start making smoke

hope that helps

cheers

Simon

• Like 1

When I get a chance I'll photograph the Mainline J72 that I have fitted with a chip.

Split chassis that is easy to do.

Take each of the holders for the brushes

cut off the end that has the screw through

use solder tag for the chassis wires at the screws

brush holder has motor wires soldered on

make a sandwich one for each brush holder

brush holder then a piece of thin plastic sheet and ontop the solder tag

Do the same for each brush holder

Hide chip in cab!