DCC Fitting Guides - Requests

Trains4U

• 1 month later...

Greetings.

I am about to tackle the DCCing of a Dapol N gauge Terrier.

I have found a clear set of pictorial instructions on the pdf ( link below), but one thing puzzles me:

Because of the 9v motor, it is wise to retain the small resistor board. In the instructions, the guy connects the orange wire to this, which he then sticks to the decoder chip with tape. He then solders red and black to pickups as normal, but with brown and grey to the motor.

Surely the resistor board needs an output to the motor, otherwise it is not in series?

http://www.ness-st.co.uk/images/Dapol/terrier-dcc-instructions.pdf

Any knowledge gratefully received!

Cheers

Chris

Regarding the Terrier:

As can be seen from the photos, his brown wire comes from the oher end of the resistor board, completing the circuit. The decoder has no brown wire.

It might have been better to start a separate topic so as not to have this hidden since you already have a fitting guide and just need clarification.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

If you look carefully at the resistor board at the bottom of the first page you should be able to see a brown wire and an orange wire connected.    So you have red and black to the pickups and grey and brown to the motor with the resistor board in series with the orange decoder wire and brown wire,

Ah yes I see it now it is clear one of the photos and I wondered why the Lenz would have a brown wire when none of my CT decoders do!

Many thanks for spotting it because I really missed it somehow, and I do not want to risk damaging the Terrier motor - which has happened to some chap in another thread.

Topic duly closed.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Looking for help fitting DCC and sound to a Mechant Navy 2003 model, so would need to be hard wired in as no DCC sockets? is this possible?

Loco is 35012 that came with the Hornby Orient Express set.

thanks

Keith

• 3 months later...

Hi All

has anyone got the service sheet for a Bachmann class 7F 53806 I have looked on Bachmann's site no joy there.

So if any one got a sheet for this loco and can scan it and email to me I would be very grateful. Many thanks in lieu of help

Best Regards

mcrook62

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Re post #109.

I did a similar conversion on a DCC ready Pacific. I managed to get hold of the sound equipped variant's bare tender chassis, so if you could find a sound MN tender or even just the chassis that would help although I think the sound MN takes a 21 pin decoder not an 8 pin.

The pony truck needs to be modified to delete the power transfer contacts but if using a sound tender you can swap from the post and hole arrangement to a more reliable link drawbar arrangement.

I removed the 8 pin decoder socket from the loco and relocated it into the tender, which was also modified to accept a 28mm round speaker and enclosure sounding down through holes in the tender chassis for the wheels (with hindsight a sugar cube may have been better) and I also fitted a 4 pin socket (should already be there on the sound tender).

I then ran the existing loco pickup and motor wires back to the tender by way of splicing into a 4 pin plug harness (X6113 from memory).

The tender wiring was run to the 4 pin socket (can't remember the X number of this bit, may be X6245 but Peter's Spares stock them both).

Compare the Hornby Service Sheets for the required parts differences.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I have a Lima ICE-T L149933 set which is DC, I bought it new in Belgium last year. I have taken the body off the driving car, and it has what appears to be a 8-pin socket on the circuit board, but it is not the normal removable blank plug, it appears to be soldered in. Anyone any experience of this set? I have fitted decoders, via normal blanking plug and I have hard wired them in other locos, but this seems a bit strange being soldered in. Thanks

Martin

Hi guys,

Has anyone chipped the Hornby 700? If so what chip did you use and how did you remove that pesky plug from the tender?

All help gratefully received.

Stuart.

It is the same 4 pin plug that Hornby fit to their lenders, there is a special tool for it - Peters Spares has them but currently out of stock. see here http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6468-tender-plug-insertion-extraction-tool.ir

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Gold
Stuartthegrant, on 06 Feb 2016 - 22:29, said:

Hi guys,

Has anyone chipped the Hornby 700? If so what chip did you use and how did you remove that pesky plug from the tender?

All help gratefully received.

Stuart.

I used a Lenz Silver Mini (wires version) with the wires soldered to a spare 8-pin plug.

It is the same 4 pin plug that Hornby fit to their lenders, there is a special tool for it - Peters Spares has them but currently out of stock. see here http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x6468-tender-plug-insertion-extraction-tool.ir

It's all too easy to nip/break the wires IF the "Hornby Tool" slips on the greasy plastic, safer to use a small flat bladed jewellers screwdriver and prise the plug carefully out from each side. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Evening one and all,

So our layout is taking real shape now and we have chipped a couple of our Locos
Honby cl58 050 using a Zimo MX600R
Lima cl47 using a TCS T1P-UK

both with harness' 

We have a number of Airfix Class 31s.

Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to chip a cl.31 and what chip can you suggest. 

Thanks in advance smile.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Gareth,

This one is probably a little more obscure, I'm looking to fit sound into a 00 Works Wainwright H class. It has already been converted to DCC but I want to add sound and wonder if there is room for a speaker in the bunker.

Regards,

Paul.

post-29343-0-40542800-1529487888_thumb.jpg