Farish class 66 front valances

Michanglais

Hi,

Firstly, please excuse my ignorance in this matter, but as a newbie to class 66s, I've been comparing the Dapol and Farish versions and note that on most shop sites the Dapol front valances are already in place, whilst the Farish ones are not.

Could someone reassure me that the Farish versions have valances and let me know whether they are difficult to fit or not? In the same vein, do the Farish locos have NEM pockets?

Many thanks in advance,

Michael

Yes they have valances as separate parts to be fitted by the user. As standard this involves removing the coupler. However, the valances can be modified to be fitted to the bogie and thus retain the coupler.

Regards,

Alan

Could someone reassure me that the Farish versions have valances and let me know whether they are difficult to fit or not? In the same vein, do the Farish locos have NEM pockets?

Many thanks in advance,

Michael

Hi Michael,

In answer to your question - no, the Farish 66 does not have NEM pockets. It is fitted with standard 'T' shank couplings.

Even though valances are supplied they are designed to replace the couplings so I make up my own valances from 10thou plasticard shaped to fit around the Rapido coupling. It is dead simple to super-glue onto the end of the coupling pocket but take care not to get any glue on the moving parts.

Hope this is helpful.

HC

Hi Michael.

If you wish to reatin the coupler and fit the valances on the farish model you will have to be very careful as quite a lot of plastic removal is needed from the valance (it is not designed to be fitted with the coupling in place)

If you are not confident in this, then I personally recommend the Dapol model, but try to buy a recent release as their chassis are far superior to the previous effort and the farish mechanism IMO.

Hope this helps

Paul A.

Many thanks for the info, everyone.

I think I'll be able to live with permanently removing a coupling from one end and shortening the coupling at the other end. I'm just glad that valances are supplied as this is such a major feature of the real thing (and I'm not very precise with cutting plasticard!).

I'd stick to Dapol but Farish seem to have produced certain liveries not produced by Dapol (correct me if I'm wrong...).

Cheers,

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael

Bernard Taylor (TPM) does a detailing kit for the Farish 66 that includes fine etched brass valences designed with a slot to allow you to fit them while retaining the coupler.

The pack also inlcudes a very fine two part etch to replace the plastic moulded roof grille, as well as reversing mirrors (as fitted to EWS 66s) and etched lamp irons.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived