i've dug out 2 Hornby class 47 bodies that need some work

the first though has damage on the buffer beam and i was wondering if this was possible to repair?

post-11924-0-38434800-1326048501.jpg

or should it just go in the bin?

the second needs the paint sorting and then new motor and bogies finding as these are beyond repair

post-11924-0-15976300-1326048574.jpg

what would be the best way to strip paint from the second example??

thanks in advance for the help

Edited by ess1uk

A1 did etched cutaway bufferbeams which could be used to replace the damaged ones.MG Sharp are the distributers I believe these days.

2nd example, i would use phoenix super strip, but that is my personal preference. The stuff is getting a tad expensive . Other sugestions will no doubt be forthcoming.

• Thanks 1

A1 did etched cutaway bufferbeams which could be used to replace the damaged ones.

I wouldn't bother with it, it's not very good...

Far better would be to scratch build either and original style valance/buffer beam or later cut away stayle. Heljan buffer beams could be used too quite easily. Add a few choice Shawplan bits and you'd be sorted :)

you're welcome!

Any need for that?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Ok. A bump for this thread after a tidy up and these being found again.

Nothing done to them but now think that their time has come.

I'm wanting to put fan grills in but unsure how to do it.

Recommendations welcome for fans/grills to use and the best way to go about it.

Thanks

Hi- id say Shawplan is the best bet for the fan grills, whichever ones you get is up to you, as thee are two different ones, one with really fine mesh, and the original one with courser mesh for the grill, I believe both come with the roof fans so these can be attached to replace the existing or non existing roof fans. adding them is easy, but youll need to roll them to make them curved so its easier to fit on the roof, and always mark the area to be glued with a sharp knife so the surface can be keyed to make the area have something to grip onto

NL

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

There was an article many years(late '73 issue?) ago in the Railway Modeller about lowering the ride height, I'm in my club library on Monday so I'll look it up. Fairly easy to find a copy on Ebay if you wanted to follow it up. I also came across some etchings on Ebay for the various boiler roof fittings again I'll dig them out and post a link if there still listed, A1 models https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143293106320?hash=item215cef4890:g:ssMAAOSwjjddAiSi

Other A1 parts are on Ebay at the moment.

Roof fans https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143285446122?hash=item215c7a65ea:g:zKgAAOSwaHtc-jsv

• Like 1