Is this the end of DCC

Would Zimo have anything to do with (and been pre-occupied with)..... this ?

Ron,

Who knows? But I do know that its intended to have smart phone/pad throttle facilities for MX10 so there may be some cross pollenation.

The Zimo decoder update facility is no surprise really, since Roco now use Zimo decoders in their models. Makes sense that the model manufacturers command station can keep its oem decoders up to speed. But sound update? Does that mean sound loading, or just updating of decoder software (new facilities and bug fixes etc)? I suspect the latter.

Kind regards,

Paul

I think my final thought is that no matter how technology improves and someone incorporates it in to the RM world. There is still 1 major flaw to overcome....... the human factor. Regardless of layout size and how many loco`s you can run at once, so until a person can hold or touch control a different loco with each hand at the same time, then at any time most will only control 1 loco at a time manually. hehe

• RMweb Gold

Yorkie, I don’t see that as a flaw. After all we are modelling railways and a prototype driver only controls one loco (or consist/DMU) at a time.

Sometimes we play the role of driver. Sometimes we play the role of signalman. Sometimes we play the role of more than one driver, but as you correctly state, only one at a time. In practice, we seamlessly move from one role to another. Signalman sets route, Driver A starts train off and establishes it on the continuous run, signalman sets up another route, driver B starts up second train etc. In that example we are playing the roles of three people, but only one at a time.

We may use some form of automation to enable us to play one role while the automation plays other roles.

• RMweb Premium

We may use some form of automation to enable us to play one role while the automation plays other roles.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Yorkie, I don’t see that as a flaw. After all we are modelling railways and a prototype driver only controls one loco (or consist/DMU) at a time.

Sometimes we play the role of driver. Sometimes we play the role of signalman. Sometimes we play the role of more than one driver, but as you correctly state, only one at a time. In practise, we seamlessly move from one role to another. Signalman sets route, Driver A starts train off and establishes it on the continuous run, signalman sets up another route, driver B starts up second train etc. In that example we are playing the roles of three people, but only one at a time.

Hi Colin,

I apologise maybe flaw was the wrong word to use and as you say we do many roles at once, but only 1 step at a time. there will be a time where someone will have a touch screen in front of them and using both hands, do 2 different operations at once. ( universal ambidextrous ) like you say and fully agree we can do so many different rolls with 1 layout, whether it prototypical or fantasy which makes it so appealing world wide. As the old adage a layout is never completed LOL

Archived