Baby Deltic sound

jessy1692

• 2 weeks later...

BabyDeltic been chipped....at least we cant lose him then might catch him building Harford steet :lol:

No seriously! im interested in the 23 ,as these apparantly ran on the north london line in the 60s and would love to know what they sound like as may invest in one with sound at a later stage.

Mark

Edited by BROADTRAIN1979
  • Like 1

BabyDeltic been chipped....at least we cant lose him then might catch him building Harford steet :lol:

No seriously! im interested in the 23 ,as these apparantly ran on the north london line in the 60s and would love to know what they sound like as may invest in one with sound at a later stage.

Mark

The closest you will actually get to the real sound is the power unit rebuilt by the 'Baby Deltic Project' as mentioned. Unfortunately it won't completely capture the full mechanical sound of the original locomotives. One reason for this is that on the original loco's, most of the auxilliaries were shaft driven from the engine, so there was a clunking wirring sound produced. On the class 37 rebuild, electrically driven auxilliaries will be used, which will be a lot more reliable. There is a recording of D5909 at Hitchin in 1959 on the CD 'Diesels Through The Decades'. Apart from the squeal from the wheels, the sound is very good.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have a sound file from Oxfordshire on a Loksound v4 chip

Having ascertained which bass reflex speaker delivers best performance am about to dismember class 23 and send chassis for milling to accommodate said speaker.

Will post again once speaker fitted

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Having ascertained which bass reflex speaker delivers best performance am about to dismember class 23 and send chassis for milling to accommodate said speaker.

Phil

Hmmm a large dose of modellers licence for a Baby Deltic on the march through Gloucestershire & Worcestershire in the late 1960s... But then again who cares it will look good on the layout, can we have the number please?

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm a large dose of modellers licence for a Baby Deltic on the march through Gloucestershire & Worcestershire in the late 1960s... But then again who cares it will look good on the layout, can we have the number please?

Kevin

D5901 got all over the place when allocted to Derby research centre. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yup its 5901!

And have related sightings of both 8598 and 5705 from Derby in the area - so why not 5901?

Must be some evidence out there somewhere!

Edit - heres a list of sightings - http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/diesels/loco.htm?id=diesels/D5901

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 1 month later...

Phil

Hello Phil,

Did you complete this?

Any chance of some sound / video - thinking about doing same.

Rgds,

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil,

Did you complete this?

Any chance of some sound / video - thinking about doing same.

Rgds,

Just in the final stages of shoehorning the body back on - managed to avoid chassis milling by modding the bass reflex speaker box to fit and shortening the PCB - had to sacrifice lighting but not worried about that

Yup will post once finished

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Fanfares - here we are!

When Youtube finishes processing the video you will be able to view - and more importantly hear - the result at

Horns sound rather like those from its big brother - is that correct?

Otherwise am rather pleased with final result given installation difficulties - happy to share more info on those if there is interest

Meanwhile - enjoy, its only a kitchen floor test track video at the mo but will film in anger the next time we have the layout up

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

Thanks Phil.

I for one would be interested in how you overcame the installation difficulties - it does look a bit tight in there.

After following a link from the 'Bargain Hunters' thread I bought one of these for a 70's tribometer train................

Regards,

Andy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Havent forgotten!

Don't want to take the lid off again until I can do all the jobs I need to do whilst in there

So in addition to the dcc sound fitting shots that's fitting crew and decent headcodes - have the Precision labels to had but struggling to lay my hands on Bacchy loco crews at the moment

Please be patient...

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Heres the promised post on sound installation in my Baby Deltic - sorry its taken so long!

Heljan models in general are perhaps the least DCC sound friendly models on the market – but given that they have gone where others didn’t dare and produced several narrow and low bonneted designs then perhaps we shouldn’t be too critical. There is usually a way to get sound in any model and in all their full width models we have it has been relatively easy to sit a speaker somewhere on the chassis within the body shell. The exception to that is the Baby Deltic. Given all the difficulties associated with getting sound in to its big brother if I was going down this road I needed to use the biggest possible speaker. Initially I thought that would mean milling away part of the chassis but as I looked at it other ideas germinated.

Playing with the chip and sound files – which are not commercially available due to these difficulties but if you want to go down this route try talking to Howes! – the chosen bass reflex speaker from DCC supplies, a DCCS01-08 , gave satisfactory delivery and volume. But would it fit?

Well not as supplied. Two things stopped it – the PCB occupies the full length of the body and there are some cast projections in the chassis right where you want to fit the speaker presumably to support the said PCB.

post-7138-0-06738500-1391946805_thumb.jpg

The chip – a V4 Loksound – could sit on top of the PCB, there is enough clearance there

First decision was to trim down the PCB – which as fitted is full length to make electrical connections for the lights and pick ups at the cooler group end of the loco. Trimming back the PCB allowed this area to be used for mounting the speaker. It means sacrificing the lights – at this end only if that bothers you – and wiring in the pick ups via another route. I just ran wires directly through the chassis to the bogie at the other end so all pick ups now feed on to the PCB at the one end. How far to trim back the PCB? That is determined by your choice of speaker. As long as you leave the motor connection you won’t have to worry about rewiring that. The key measurement is that the residual length of the PCB and the speaker chamber length needs to be less that the distance between the two cab bulkheads.

post-7138-0-83548100-1391946793_thumb.jpg

The speaker will not sit down far enough it to the chassis for the correctly fitted loco body to accommodate it however. The easiest way to deal with this is to modify the speaker chamber to clear those PCB supporting projections. Locate the speaker in position and mark where those projections come on the speaker chamber. Then separate the speaker from its chamber to give you internal access and cut away the side walls and enough of the base of the chamber to clear those projections. Then rebuild the chamber to the profile you have created – I used plasticard reinforced with angle section stuck around the edges with Mekpak. Re-assemble the speaker and chamber and stick that with Mekpak too – ensure the speaker chamber is fully sealed or sound deterioration will follow.

post-7138-0-55857900-1391946816_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-49254000-1391946833_thumb.jpg

You should now have a sound system that will fit! Reassemble everything remembering the additional pick-up wires and refit the body – it will be tight but it goes as long as you have kept checking it along the way – and there you have it, a noisy Baby Deltic!

The sound video is back up this post in case you missed it

Cheers

Phil

Edit - forgot to say you may also need to trim the rubber motor mounting blocks back a bit dependant on your speaker choice. Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been a long time but I should also have linked this video too...

And if you believe this super picture by Trevor Jones I have also fitted a smoke unit....!!!

Phil

Trevor Jones 10 resized.jpg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And if you believe this super picture by Trevor Jones I have also fitted a smoke unit....!!!

Phil

Thanks Phil, wow 7 years and i still havnt chipped my 23... must up the game!

Cheers

James

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Phil

Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood,

Can I be so bold as to bring two matters of concern to your attention. Firstly the photograph of the English Electric Type 2 Bo-Bo, is it on fire as the smoke seems to becoming out of the radiator. :scared:  I am sure you are aware the exhaust is on the other side of the roof.

The second is about the noise sound, I know Lloyd aka Baby Deltic of this very forum and he don't sound like that. :nono:

I did spot all the Baby Deltics before they were withdrawn and I cannot recall what they sounded like, apart from being noisy like all diesels.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dear Clive the Composite Converter....

On this occasion when we arrived at Abbotswood the aforementioned English Electric Type 2 was parked in the headshunt emitting noxious fumes from the fan grille. The crew left it parked there and walked up to the bridge past us muttering about the parentage of RTC management who seemed to think it good sport to inflict exotic but rejected motive power on their test trains. A van came out from Worcester to pick them up whilst we remained to survey the scene....next day the beast had gone.

As for Lloyd's sound emitting capabilities I wont cast nasturtiums ...but with practice a good impersonation of the aforementioned Englsih Electric Type 2 can be achieved - works best in the shower after a couple of pints of beer.

I did spot them - D5905/9 double heading on the Ashburton Pullman - plus D5901 at Derby and D5908 at Bescot.... the rest were lined up dead on 34G when I first visited in 1969

CHeers

Phil

• Like 1