THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Looks like a very enjoyable session Rod.

Grahame

p.s. Just make sure Martyn didn't do a bit of secret weathering on your loco's whilst you were busy eating the cakes !  :jester:

Thanks to Rod and Howard it was a pleasure just to 'play trains' for a while and we were all given a most warm welcome by our hosts. We were also treated to some excellent home made cake when we paused between activities, which made the day even more special!

Not sure about the bald old bloke in the striped T-shirt, although he does look vaguely familiar . . .  :scratchhead:

Thanks again.

Martyn

• Like 1

Another great day at Ramchester. Howard turned up this afternoon along with his new loco which he wanted to give a run. This is a DB class V160 Bo-Bo diesel by Lenz which of course has all the gismos, sound, lights, even a "pop up" driver at each end. So Howard and I had a play with this and here are a few photos of it on the layout. Just in case you are thinking that you have seen this loco before - you have. I also have one of these and just to prove it I have included a photo of the pair of them standing in Ramchester. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

post-13361-0-86171000-1532376510_thumb.jpg

The DB V160 leaves the fiddle yard....

post-13361-0-82936800-1532376603_thumb.jpg

and enters the station...

post-13361-0-04243500-1532376697_thumb.jpg

coming to a halt at the buffer stops by the cattle dock...

post-13361-0-10495400-1532376843_thumb.jpg

to be joined a few minutes later by its sister!!!

Thank you for all your kind comments about the layout which are much appreciated. Don't forget that if you are planning to visit the Torbay area and would like to see the layout send me a PM and I will arrange a mutually convenient time. .

Rod

• Like 7

Just one day after leaving the works at Jintymans where it had a major refit D2227 leaves the tunnel to trundle into Ramchester.

post-13361-0-47832600-1532547783_thumb.jpg

It halts briefly for the signal and eases over the approach to the station.

post-13361-0-96075900-1532547830_thumb.jpg

At the buffer stops the driver pops out for a quick chat with station master Wilson.

post-13361-0-93315200-1532547870_thumb.jpg

It then commences its first shunting duties by picking up the open wagons in the siding.

post-13361-0-58541200-1532547932_thumb.jpg

It then picks up the vans from the goods shed and puts them in the siding ready for departure on the afternoon freight.

post-13361-0-66482400-1532547989_thumb.jpg

Following all this hard work (remember it has done nothing for several weeks) it retires to the loco spur where it is stationed for the night.

post-13361-0-35438900-1532548038_thumb.jpg

Thanks David for your hard wok to turn my 04 into a proper model.

Rod

• Like 14

That 04 has been to Jintymans for a refit, do they not have a wash facility at that works ? Look at it it’s filthy !!!! ;-)

Very nice Rod, very nice indeed.

Best regards

Craig

Came out dirtier than it went in. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

David has done a fabulous job on the 04 in all respects. The problem seems to have been caused by the loco passing through severe dust storms on it way to Ramchester. The driver has promised that he will get a bucket of soapy water and a sponge to give it a bit of a clean but could not say when he would get the time!!

Yes Andy it is a model and not photoshopped into a photo of Ramchester!!!

Next loco? Wait and see!!

Rod

• Like 3

This afternoon I decided to have a look through my many Bradford Barton railway books which as most of you will know are or were in black and white. These photo albums of the steam age are very striking and the pictures seem to capture the evocative nature of the early BR period. Thinking about this I got to wondering what some of my photos would look like in black and white so I had a play with them on my computer to see just how good my railway really is and how closely it matches the pictures in my books. Attached are some of the adapted pictures which I hope you will enjoy but in any case your comments would be appreciated. The photos have appeared on this thread before but I trust you will forgive me for my indulgence.

First the most recent photos of the 04 diesel leaving the tunnel...

post-13361-0-87085900-1532713821_thumb.jpg

and coming to a stand at Ramchester station.

post-13361-0-06254900-1532713977_thumb.jpg

Next the 4F heading for the water tower.

post-13361-0-44341700-1532714077_thumb.jpg

Jinty 47357 arriving at Ramchester with a freight.

post-13361-0-70570800-1532714191_thumb.jpg

Another view of the Jinty.

post-13361-0-59890800-1532714277_thumb.jpg

Having completed its shunting duties the Jinty waits for a local passenger train hauled by Fowler 4F 44360 before departing.

post-13361-0-05360400-1532714484_thumb.jpg

My two Jinties standing by the water tower.

post-13361-0-61594100-1532714593_thumb.jpg

Finally my unweathered German 2-10-0 class 50 standing in the yard

post-13361-0-69750500-1532714773_thumb.jpg

I think that I am on the right track and I do feel rather pleased with the results of Howards and my efforts.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 11

This afternoon I decided to have a look through my many Bradford Barton railway books which as most of you will know are or were in black and white. These photo albums of the steam age are very striking and the pictures seem to capture the evocative nature of the early BR period. Thinking about this I got to wondering what some of my photos would look like in black and white so I had a play with them on my computer to see just how good my railway really is and how closely it matches the pictures in my books. Attached are some of the adapted pictures which I hope you will enjoy but in any case your comments would be appreciated. The photos have appeared on this thread before but I trust you will forgive me for my indulgence.

First the most recent photos of the 04 diesel leaving the tunnel...

attachicon.gifDSC02923 (3).JPG

and coming to a stand at Ramchester station.

attachicon.gifDSC02925 (3).JPG

Next the 4F heading for the water tower.

attachicon.gifDSC01569 (2).JPG

Jinty 47357 arriving at Ramchester with a freight.

attachicon.gifDSC02347 (4).JPG

Another view of the Jinty.

attachicon.gifDSC02285 (3).JPG

Having completed its shunting duties the Jinty waits for a local passenger train hauled by Fowler 4F 44360 before departing.

attachicon.gifDSC02354 (3).JPG

My two Jinties standing by the water tower.

attachicon.gifDSC02452 (3).JPG

Finally my unweathered German 2-10-0 class 50 standing in the yard

attachicon.gifDSC02312 (3).JPG

I think that I am on the right track and I do feel rather pleased with the results of Howards and my efforts.

More soon.

Rod

Rod,

They look good. Remember that colour photography is a modern trick invention and that the real world was indeed black-and-white in the 1950s and early sixties. 

Regards,

Chris

It’s out of my league, but I think you will have difficulty matching b/w images, because the colour response of your digital camera, and the subsequent conversion to b/w will not match the response of b/w film, which may have been more responsive to red or blue for example. I wonder if someone markets software that emulates old films...

I like the pictures anyway!

Best

Simon

Rod,

I posted this in Cwm Bach in response to your kind remarks about my recent  magazine articles, but perhaps it is time to give a Ramchester an outing in the paper press? It's a first class layout and in my opinion would provide much inspiration to others as it does to me. I would be very happy to help to compose an article and solicit the editors of the main titles, all of whom I know. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 4

Rod,

I posted this in Cwm Bach in response to your kind remarks about my recent  magazine articles, but perhaps it is time to give a Ramchester an outing in the paper press? It's a first class layout and in my opinion would provide much inspiration to others as it does to me. I would be very happy to help to compose an article and solicit the editors of the main titles, all of whom I know. 

Regards,

Chris

I agree Chris, I've seen Rod & Howard's work in the Gazette, yet a wider audience would appreciate such greatly, I'm sure.

I've written a few articles too - yet bow to your greater experience and range of contacts - yet Rod, if I can help, then you only have to ask.

Kindest regards,

Martin.

• Like 1

Hello Chris.

Thank you for your kind words about Ramchester and for your offer of help. As it happens there is already an article in an advanced stage of planning which just needs me to find time to complete. I have invited one of the editors from Seaton to come and have a look and I guess it will not be too long before he appears.

On a different note are you going to be at Telford next month as it would be nice to have a chat with you and to see what goodies Minerva are planning.

Thanks again for your kind offer which I will take up if I get stuck.

Finally I notice that this will be the 1,999th reply on the Ramchester thread so whoever replies next will have the dubious honour of being the 2,000th.

Rod

• Like 2

Hello Chris.

Thank you for your kind words about Ramchester and for your offer of help. As it happens there is already an article in an advanced stage of planning which just needs me to find time to complete. I have invited one of the editors from Seaton to come and have a look and I guess it will not be too long before he appears.

On a different note are you going to be at Telford next month as it would be nice to have a chat with you and to see what goodies Minerva are planning.

Thanks again for your kind offer which I will take up if I get stuck.

Finally I notice that this will be the 1,999th reply on the Ramchester thread so whoever replies next will have the dubious honour of being the 2,000th.

Rod

Rod,

That is excellent news. I have always liked the Railway Modeller to which I have subscribed continuously since early 1971. I think it strikes the right balance between narrative text and illustrations thus avoiding the tabloid feel of some of its competitors. I especially like the continuing contributions from enthusiasts rather than a dominance of staff writers and, of course, the advertising tops and tails the editorial rather than interrupting it. My first article was published in the November 1992 edition.

I will be at Telford on Saturday on the Minerva stand and hope to see you and Howard there.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1