THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Not a great deal to report this week as progress has been somewhat slow. Howard has continued to work on the Dapol brake van which I purchased at Bristol and I am glad to say that this is nearly finished. I have been looking at fitting the crane into the goods shed and have drilled a hole in the floor in which to locate the spigot into place under one of the beams. I now need some fine chain to attach the hook to as the one I have looks too course. Hopefully I should get some pictures of both these jobs by next weekend.

More anon.

Rod

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2019 at 16:45, railwayrod said:

Yesterday afternoon went extremely well and my visitors enjoyed the layout and the tea/coffee and eats. I took a few photos of the event and here they are.

The "gang" sit and enjoy a drink and cakes while we put the world to rights (railway wise) with some interesting stories from Tim about his experiences when working on the railways. From left to right is Howard, Barrie, Tim and Brian

Both Brian and Tim had a turn on the controls and the afternoon semmed to fly by. More pictures next time.

Only just caught up with this thread again, Rod, but thanks again for a super afternoon!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A few more pictures of our operating session to accompany those above which Howard took. Firstly here he is taking one of the photos appearing above.

709525834_DSC03719(2).JPG.a617070368befc971c303d567662ea0b.JPG

Plus a couple I took on the same day.

1918012287_DSC03725(2).JPG.17b460ac30bbf7b87b3f274a59b33163.JPG

DSC03731_(2).JPG.025c7f937965b77328bd590bd0c60cf2.JPG

A couple of days later another visitor to the layout Nick Wood who is deeply involved with the B & W railway in Cornwall. He came up to collect one of my LGB locos which I had for sale but spent a couple of hours having fun with Ramchester.

DSC03743_(2).JPG.3ed6e5f49da09e2b2d05e37cd54165c7.JPG

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Rod the layout is looking good, as usual and Howards photos show it off well. I do have a question though, what size is the room the layout is in.  Do you have a track plan that you could post.

Michael C. 

Hello Michael.

Thank you for your kind comments which are very much appreciated. If ever you are over here in the South West and beautiful Devon do PM me and we can arrange a visit to see the layout in the flesh.

The layout is in a purpose built shed which is 30ft x 12ft in size and fully insulated. I will dig out my track plan (when I can remember where I put it) and post it on here in the near future.

Best wishes

Rod

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The brake van came with basic weathering which I have added to by repainting the wooden floors and footboards  and tried to make the tops of the weights look like dirty concrete. I can't find any colour photographs looking down on the weights but I have assumed the tops wouldn't have been painted. I normally use acrylic paints for weathering.

Edited by HSB
  • Thanks 1

Hi Howard,

Thanks.

IIRC, some of the end weights were painted grey or black, worn through to concrete over time too? The footboards black (worn to self colour or left self colour).

The veranda boards are going to be awkward for me to paint as the roof is glued on.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 2 weeks later...

We have not done very much to the layout for the last couple of sessions; instead we have been discussing things on TV and putting the world to rights. However Howard has made a start on painting my brass bicycle made from a kit which I purchased from Germany.

I have spent the time with a hammer, screwdriver and cold chisel demolishing the hard drive in my old computer. By the time I had finished the disc was bent, scratched, bruised and battered but I am still not sure whether I have done enough to totally make it unreadable, any advice?

Still have not located a copy of the track plan but I will deep looking and hopefully post it in due course.

All for now.

Rod

The case is not important, the disc within is very fragile, and it is this you need to destroy.  You can usually unscrew the cover and the disc(s) will be shiny and bright, and easily cut up with a pair of scissors.  I imagine a blowlamp would do the trick too.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-computer-sata-hard-disk-drive-inside-internals-105431887.html

hth

Simon

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, railwayrod said:

I have spent the time with a hammer, screwdriver and cold chisel demolishing the hard drive in my old computer. By the time I had finished the disc was bent, scratched, bruised and battered but I am still not sure whether I have done enough to totally make it unreadable, any advice?

Still have not located a copy of the track plan but I will deep looking and hopefully post it in due course.

Is it too late to suggest you probably wanted to find the track plan before you destroyed the disc? :)

Thanks everyone for your advice on destroying the disc in my hard drive. At present the disc is scratched bruised and battered and is bent beyond straightening. I will go over it with a blow touch before putting it in the bin (after it has cooled). Have now sold nearly all my LGB stock so very soon there will be a new loco on the layout. More of this in due course.

Rod

Here's a sketch of the track plan. It's not to scale but the overall dimensions are approximately 29' 6" by 11' 6" (if anybody wants it in Euros they can work it out for themselves!)

RAMCHESTER Track Plan.jpg

Edited by HSB
Error in drawing
  • Like 3

Hi Guys, I am surprised there is no run around loop. Do you always use a second Loco or a Yard Shunter for releasing the coaches or working the Goods Yard?

Just seen a pic a couple of pages back which shows a release crossover at the Buffers.

Edited by Andrew P
aded a word