THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Well spotted, Andrew. Unfortunately the programme which contained my original drawing no longer functions so I posted somebody else's interpretation of my drawing! Now corrected!

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1

Thank you Rod and Howard for info on the layout room and layout track plan. I have been following  your layout for a while and it is very well done and nicely detailed.  Both of you have done a fine job and you should be proud of it.

Michael

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Michael. Your comments are encouraging. We still have a lot more to do on the layout but I feel that it looks complete (are layouts ever complete?). We will keep posting as progress is made to keep everyone up to date.

Rod

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did a bit of work on improving the bits of white water on the stream and added a bit more vegetation alongside it.

IMG_20190404_165053.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Hello gismorail.

I am glad to say that during Howard's session on the scenery the water was "halted" by some form of magic spell so that the work could continue without fear of wetting the carpet on the shed floor!  You really must come down to this outpost of the South West and inspect it yourself just to satisfy your curiosity!!!

Rod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another week gone by with not a lot of progress. Today I have been down in Platform 2 to have a tidy up and a vacing so that all is nice and tidy for another "invassion" of visitors tomorrow. These are not railway enthusiasts as such but people from our Torbay Nordic Walking  Group of which Maggie and I are members who have expressed and interest in seeing the railway. Who am I to refuse such a request especially as it means I can spend more time operating the layout. Mind you I am not 100% sure it is the railway which is the attraction as Maggie has told everyone that she is making cakes for the occasion!

More soon.

Rod 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Another week gone by with not a lot of progress. Today I have been down in Platform 2 to have a tidy up and a vacing so that all is nice and tidy for another "invassion" of visitors tomorrow. These are not railway enthusiasts as such but people from our Torbay Nordic Walking  Group of which Maggie and I are members who have expressed and interest in seeing the railway. Who am I to refuse such a request especially as it means I can spend more time operating the layout. Mind you I am not 100% sure it is the railway which is the attraction as Maggie has told everyone that she is making cakes for the occasion!

More soon.

Rod 

Rod,

Much as I admire Ramchester, it is obviously the cakes that are the main attraction.

Chris

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

Love the clip of the Black Five hauling a rake of coaches out of the station . Surely to see this magnificent site makes all the the hundreds of hours in construction justified . Wonderful thanks for sharing this moment in Ramchester 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Thanks Howard for posting this on the thread. However the original on Facebook had the sound on it. Any chance of adding sound?

Rod

It's still got sound, Rod, you just have to move the slider to turn it up! (Bottom right-hand corner of the picture - just move your curser there)

Edited by HSB

I have been having some thoughts about the layout and now that the stock has been fitted with DCC sound the scenery needs sound added to give it a "living" feeling. I am not too sure how to proceed with this project. Perhaps a cheap MP3 player with sounds of a stream near the coal yard and some birds in the trees nearby might do the trick but also something at the goods yard end will also be required. Does anyone know if a not too expensive system exists to purchase? Would it be better for me to install a tape recorder with a continuous loop of the various sounds on it, in which case I would need one at each end of the layout. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Rod

On my Chester Northgate shed layout I recorded some sounds on a digital recorder and downloaded them into my laptop then played them back via small speakers around the layout. On my Chumley End layout a friend has downloaded bell codes onto a DDC chip and I have wired this direct to the bus wire with a speaker beneath the signal box. The chip has been given the address 99 and the normal functions then operate the required bell codes along with a telephone ringing and some levels being pulled. There is a short video on my Chumley End thread in layouts thread towards the recent postings. 

• Thanks 1

Some sound groups by this company are pretty good as ambient sounds, I've used them.

http://modelsounds.co.uk/sounds.html#atmos

I can't recall if the devices can be connected to a cheap 3:1 or 5:1 sound system. But that's the way I'd go. Also the micro SD cards from Modelsounds should be usuable in other cheap devices.

Hope that helps Rod.

ATVB,

CME

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Vaguely related but my old Argo transacord LP of GWR steam includes a recording of a cockerel, chickens and other ambient background noise, if I recall correctly, whilst waiting for City of Truro to come past.

Edited by Hal Nail
Typo
  • Thanks 1

The ones, I suggested are not all that repetitive, my partner uses one for meditation in fact.

One can always stitch similar together from free internet samples - I didn't as computers turn me cold.

TBF, certain sound decoders for locos can detract too.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Thanks 1

Only just got onto this site Howard, though I have met Andy Y before.

Good to see some familiar scenes and some new ones.

You do have an excellent 'eye for country' and the recent video is splendid.

Bob

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

It is several weeks since I posted anything on this thread so I thought it was about time that I did something about it. Not a lot has been done on the layout just lately owing to a number of reasons. In mid May Maggie and I spent a glorious week down in the far south west of Cornwall, staying in an apartment in Porthcurno. We had really nice weather although a chilly wind did just about took the edge off it. We went to show a live performance at the fantastic Minack Theatre which if you do not know haas been carved out of a cliff overlooking the sea. The theatre was constructed many years ago by Rowena Cade and her gardener. We did several walks in the area which is a beautiful part of the country. Upon our return I had to have an operation to remove a suspect mole on my back which incapacitated somewhat but is now on the mend. However I have to be very careful not to put any strain on the stitches so am unable to bend or lift. So you may say what has this to do with Ramchester. Well basically not a great deal but I have spent a three afternoon this week operating the layout - once to entertain some visitors and the others to entertain me. I took a few photos during the session which are attached (it may take two posts to include them all).

1034876054_DSC03948(2).JPG.4caf37d5c5961a666e695bfd635989ff.JPGJinty 47361 removes the brake van from an incoming freight train which has been hauled by sister engine 47357.

DSC03950_(2).JPG.d0415b7e7752fe145a9810bbe883bffa.JPG47361 then takes over some shunting. 

27460738_DSC03952(2).JPG.3682d2e95dc434db1658ed8adc601d83.JPG Meanwhile 47357 runs round its train ready to assist when necessary.

DSC03953_(2).JPG.f219a7687e0af4044eb2f1f24f0f6227.JPG

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What wonderful photos, particularly the third one. I could print that and put it on my wall its so realistic. When you get the lighting right as you have done here it just stands out. 

Paul R

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1