THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Last week Howard received a package containing nameplates for my signal box. This afternoon he attached these to the front and the incoming end of the box which I feel can now be considered complete. One thing we MUST do is to bed the box into the ground and doubtless Howard can be persuaded to do this for me in the near future. Having fixed the plates into position he spent a little time on repainting part of the back scede, of which more anon.

DSC05571_(2).JPG.b7f08c58aff3815250690ca2c64ba0e7.JPG

1235911865_DSC05572(2).JPG.9022127b74beca4e18480b3c3825cd63.JPG

My afternoon, apart from making cups of tea, was spent getting two TL couplings mounted on their blocks ready for fitting onto a mineral wagon. This has come about as my empty v full coal train was unbalanced i.e. 7 empties v 5 full, so I decided to have six of each. My empty wagons are fitted with B & B couplings as these are what I intended to use on all my stock before I changed my mind and adopted Bachmann 00 tension lock as my standard. So when I decided to exchange an empty wagon to to the full ones the couplings did not match hence my work today. With hindsight (what a wonderful thing this is) I would have left 3 links in the whole lot except for the outer ends of the first and last wagons as I now run these as a rake. One day perhaps when I get a bit of spare time I will refit the 3 links on the intervening ones as I feel they look better especially when the loco pulls slowly  away and picks up one wagon at a time until the whole train is on the move.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, railwayrod said:

Last week Howard received a package containing nameplates for my signal box. This afternoon he attached these to the front and the incoming end of the box which I feel can now be considered complete. One thing we MUST do is to bed the box into the ground and doubtless Howard can be persuaded to do this for me in the near future. Having fixed the plates into position he spent a little time on repainting part of the back scede, of which more anon.

DSC05571_(2).JPG.b7f08c58aff3815250690ca2c64ba0e7.JPG

1235911865_DSC05572(2).JPG.9022127b74beca4e18480b3c3825cd63.JPG

My afternoon, apart from making cups of tea, was spent getting two TL couplings mounted on their blocks ready for fitting onto a mineral wagon. This has come about as my empty v full coal train was unbalanced i.e. 7 empties v 5 full, so I decided to have six of each. My empty wagons are fitted with B & B couplings as these are what I intended to use on all my stock before I changed my mind and adopted Bachmann 00 tension lock as my standard. So when I decided to exchange an empty wagon to to the full ones the couplings did not match hence my work today. With hindsight (what a wonderful thing this is) I would have left 3 links in the whole lot except for the outer ends of the first and last wagons as I now run these as a rake. One day perhaps when I get a bit of spare time I will refit the 3 links on the intervening ones as I feel they look better especially when the loco pulls slowly  away and picks up one wagon at a time until the whole train is on the move.

More soon.

Rod

Very nice. Some modest weathering would look well. 

Chris 

4 minutes ago, railwayrod said:

• Agree 1

Before we bed the box in we need to sort out some point rodding coming out at the bottom!

The box was scratch-built for Rod by Robert Wigley and he did such a superb job of it I've been rather hesitant about weathering it.

10 hours ago, HSB said:

Before we bed the box in we need to sort out some point rodding coming out at the bottom!

The box was scratch-built for Rod by Robert Wigley and he did such a superb job of it I've been rather hesitant about weathering it.

A foot-board in front of the box will hide a multitude of point-rodding sins. I have still to get round to installing rodding on Cwm Bach. Here is what I have done on Cwm Bach and as you can see I haven't gone OTT on the weathering; just enough to tone it done.

Chris

Cwm_Bach_Signal_Box.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

We will deep trying to find an lNWR box with foot boards. They must have had them or something to prevent permanent way staff form  walking on them I would think. The trouble is that I am unable to recall during my early days at Rugby station what was built in front of Rugby's No 5 box which was virtually opposite where we used to "train spot". Must see if I have any old photographs taken during those halcyon days.

Rod

10 hours ago, railwayrod said:

We will deep trying to find an lNWR box with foot boards. They must have had them or something to prevent permanent way staff form  walking on them I would think. The trouble is that I am unable to recall during my early days at Rugby station what was built in front of Rugby's No 5 box which was virtually opposite where we used to "train spot". Must see if I have any old photographs taken during those halcyon days.

Rod

Is this one?

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrcll116.htm

• Thanks 1

Hello Nick.

Thanks for the picture which clearly shows foot boards covering the rods as they exit the signal box. As I write this I have not had time to investigate my photos taken during the 50's and 60's but you photo is invaluable. Thanks for your efforts on my behalf which is greatly appreciated. If you are ever down this way and would like to visit the layout PM me.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Howard has continued his work on the back scene and has today added a 2D printed building to the panel which forms the background. He then set about hiding the fact that it is 2D by adding foliage etc to the sides/front of the building so that it is now difficult to detect as "flat". Here are a couple of pictures in the form of before and after. See what you think.

1484068039_DSC05577(2).JPG.c11258904436383ab89342845718d821.JPG

Before.

DSC05579_(2).JPG.34ab333577a54c37d867c6b9208a3e2f.JPG

After.

DSC05580_(2).JPG.1c551ca5e1ed35724e5847f507141898.JPG

In close up.

Rod

• Like 16

Some more progress to report. My coal trains are now balanced with 6 full ones and 6 empty ones. I have included a picture of the two trains side by side in the coal yard.

DSC05574_(2).JPG.4ef489eaaf7a8ec62e634b93d2952773.JPG

Looking towards the buffer stops.

DSC05575_(2).JPG.6acb2841c7ae5b3dd03adfae8b9a667b.JPG

Looking towards the station.

I have been working on my two Skytrex platform trolleys with the wheels now mounted on there axles. This proved to be a more difficult job than expected as the axles are of 40 thou brass rod whereas the holes in the wheel centres were a very sloppy fit making it hard to mount the wheels square with the axles. I hadn't any 50 thou rod and 60 thou looked too big. In the end I used my vertical drill press and bored a 40 thou hole into a flat piece of wood and glued the wheel in place flat on top of the wood.  This was about as close to square as I could get it and afterwards I rolled the wheels across the workbench and they seemed to be pretty true much to my relief. There are no instructions with the kit but it is fairly obvious where each part goes BUT there is no positive positioning for the location of the swivel axle at the front. I trolled through my extensive library and found couple of photos of LMS platform trolleys which has given me the necessary guide as to where to fit the front pivot. Maybe not exact but close enough as it will sit on the back of the station where very close inspection will not be possible. Pictures of my progress very soon.

In the meantime Howard has given my BG a second coat of paint as he carries out some mods to the Kit which I would not have thought of. 

For some time now neither of us have been satisfied with the surface of the goods yard as this was built up to rail height. Howard feels that the yard surface should only have come up to about sleeper height and having looked at lots of pictures I now agree with him. As a result he spent time this afternoon removing some of the top surface as the first step towards eventually lowering the whole lot. The area to be done looks quite large but he says he can do it a bit at a time to spread the load. Again pictures when finished.

Well that about it for now but more anon.

Rod

• Like 14

Yes Rod I am reminded of that old saying "a man can eat an elephant with a teaspoon given enough time", go for it Howard.

I intend to have a mix of hard standing, patted down ash in the freight areas and stone ballast in the arrive/depart lines.

Ramchester is looking grand and the coal area is sharp.

Best

• Thanks 1

Another session this afternoon but we did not get very much done. My friend Peter Martin joined Howard and I to show us his latest acquisitions. Some time ago he brought along his Minerva Manning Wardle tank in blue livery and this has now been joined by a lined black version. Peter also had with him his 3 Darstead BR suburban coaches to which he has fitted lights to the ends and has begun to make a start on the weathering (respray of the roof at present). I took a few photos of his stock on the layout and here they are.

106638669_DSC05604(2).JPG.51d9f89c3df92de147e0d5bb80f060fd.JPG

Manning Wardle and suburbans in the station.

DSC05605_(2).JPG.e9432f33176c044759e6c936d38b64e9.JPG

Close up of the loco

DSC05606_(2).JPG.c77fe4f34d6b41415ce23d5e630775dd.JPG

Departing Ramchester station.

Howard did manage to do a little in the goods yard but for most of the time we were playing with Peter's train and supping cups of tea and coffee.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon!

Rod

• Like 10

On 17/02/2020 at 20:47, railwayrod said:

Another session this afternoon but we did not get very much done. My friend Peter Martin joined Howard and I to show us his latest acquisitions. Some time ago he brought along his Minerva Manning Wardle tank in blue livery and this has now been joined by a lined black version. Peter also had with him his 3 Darstead BR suburban coaches to which he has fitted lights to the ends and has begun to make a start on the weathering (respray of the roof at present). I took a few photos of his stock on the layout and here they are.

106638669_DSC05604(2).JPG.51d9f89c3df92de147e0d5bb80f060fd.JPG

Manning Wardle and suburbans in the station.

DSC05605_(2).JPG.e9432f33176c044759e6c936d38b64e9.JPG

Close up of the loco

DSC05606_(2).JPG.c77fe4f34d6b41415ce23d5e630775dd.JPG

Departing Ramchester station.

Howard did manage to do a little in the goods yard but for most of the time we were playing with Peter's train and supping cups of tea and coffee.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon!

Rod

Well, the little Manning Wardle is hauling a much bigger load than the prototype. When I visited the Bluebell Railway to measure and photograph the derelict SHARPTHORN for the Minerva project  I asked if there was a plan to restore the engine to service. The volunteer told me that it was not economically viable to put her back into service because she could only pull two bogie carriages and they four. 

ATB

Chris K

Manning_Wardle_K_Sharpthorn_300717-002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Howard and Rod,

I've just been catching up on the doings at Ramchester, and I can't believe I had got so far behind.  Its all looking splendid, and I've worn out the "like" button!

I particularly like the signalbox, and you said you were thinking about point-rodding etc?  I've used the Model Signal Engineering parts; they produce an etched set of cranks etc, and whitemetal rodding stools. 

All the best, Dave.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Well, the little Manning Wardle is hauling a much bigger load than the prototype. When I visited the Bluebell Railway to measure and photograph the derelict SHARPTHORN for the Minerva project  I asked if there was a plan to restore the engine to service. The volunteer told me that it was not economically viable to put her back into service because she could only pull two bogie carriages and they four. 

ATB

Chris K

The truth is it only got as far as the curve before developing terminal wheel-slip! :rolleyes: To be fair, though, those Darstead coaches are quite heavy!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A bit more progress to report. Yesterday howard and I got stuck into our respective tasks - he lowering the surface of the goods yard and me moving forward with the Skytrex trolleys. When the goods yard was being built we had the "ground" up to the level of the top of the rails. Howard felt, and I agreed, that it did not look right so he volunteered to lower the whole surface area and rebuild it up to the level of the top of the sleepers. Apart from improving the appearance of the yard it would make track cleaning much easier. He began by slicing through the surface alongside the sleepers and gently eased up the top surface in a large piece  This he put to one side for re use. Under the top surface was a layer of underlay which when removed left us with a bare baseboard .Once the underlay had been removed and the area beneath cleaned up, the carefully removed top surface was reinstated and surprise, surprise the new height was spot on with the top of the sleepers. A bit of repair work was needed once the original surface had been stuck down and left to dry. Howard then moved on to the next part to be lifted, the underlay removed, the baseboard cleaned ready for the next  bit to be stuck down next time we meet. I must confess that when Howard first suggested this I was sceptical that it would work but now the first bit is in place I realise that it will save a great deal of work. There is of course still a lot more to do so over the next few sessions Howard will be very busy! Once the whole area has been so treated it will require going over, after which I am sure you will never know it had been disturbed. No photos as yet as the area is covered in tools, scraps, glue etc but as soon as possible I will put some on here to show the progress.

Rod

• Like 5

Just a quick catch up on progress with my station trolleys. They are ready for painting but to make this task easier they have not been glued together - the front wheels assembly and the rear wheels on their axle are just placed in position.

DSC05612.JPG.1359339a0a864a641d1a5d07f11990b3.JPG

65723790_DSC05615(2).JPG.c5dffe283ed7b0167e9a2c55bb2bf585.JPG

More anon.

Rod

• Like 6