THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hi Nickey Line.

Thank you for your observation.

Like you I thought that the front wheels should be the same distance from the front as the rearthe rear ones. However On looking at various photographs (LMS Miscellany) this does not appear to be the case. This is why the kit has not been glued together at this point as I want to ensure that the finished model is correct. One of the problems with the kit is that there is no locating marks/tabs/etc on the main body of the kit as to where the front wheels should go, so it would appear that this is left to the builder to do his/her research before assembly. The pictures in the above mentioned books also show a triangular projection made up of what looks like metal bars which link to the handle used to pull the trolley along. This bit is not in the kit so I am wondering if my kit is of an earlier model or simply has bits missing. 

If anyone out there has any information that would solve this issue it would be appreciated.

Rod. 

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, railwayrod said:

Like you I thought that the front wheels should be the same distance from the front as the rearthe rear ones. However On looking at various photographs (LMS Miscellany) this does not appear to be the case.

Unusual... it's normally the GWR that are contrary!

I did have a quick google on the subject myself, but confess not specifically LMS examples.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well a majority of trolleys I've googled show the steering wheels nearer to the front edge.  it makes for easier balanced turning>>>

The red one is a more modern one but with the same steering location.  NB. these are all off a GWR location.15505579-a-traditional-train-station-trolley-holding-suitcases-.jpg.4521a894ec2ffa2bb648cd0b879849d9.jpgimagesXULOWHVQ.jpg.fef8299b7581c2a19d6e4a801bafc524.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

A substantial area in the goods yard has been lifted (not the track) and relayed but as yet far from finished. Howard has managed to retrieve most of the original surface layer and expertly relaid it as a precursor to lowering the lot so that it comes up to sleeper level rather than the top of the rails. Here is a photo of him slaving away ! He does enjoy scenic work which is his forte.

1765179728_DSC05651(2).JPG.f7618f33c3caa863d28113681b4537fa.JPG

More soon.

Rod

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thought I would post a quick couple of pictures to update you all on progress in the goods yard. I must confess that the site looks to be in a very sorry state at the moment but Howard has been very busy working through the challenge and quite a lot of progress has been achieved. As can be seen the sleepers are now exposed and the original top layer has been relaid except for the area in front of the cattle dock. This will now from the foundation for the top dressing once all the cracks and holes have been filled in. The track serving the cattle dock will probably have a concrete apron inserted as this appears to be the case in many situations.

DSC05675_(2).JPG.630a04860dd62dd545b8e777292517be.JPG

1076975403_DSC05676(2).JPG.d4c9261ea1ed475de5f10f09ed577b1d.JPG

I did hint that it looks like a bomb site!

Rod

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Received my issue of the April Railway Moller and although Ramchester did not make the front cover it was "Railway of the Month". However the photos in the magazine were all taken by Steve Flint whilst non of mine were featured. Ah well can't have it all ways!! I still cannot believe that after a lifetime of reading RM (right from issue 1 - Nov/Dec 1949) I have made the R of the M. This has been a distant dream which has at last come true. To those of you who buy the magazine  I hope you enjoy the article.

2064298659_DSC05677(2).JPG.146e1829ebba690a5fb3b008ce74ef2e.JPG

Thank you to all who have followed this thread and for your support over the last 8 years.

Rod

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It's now at least 11 years since Rod and I started working on this layout! I thought I'd post a couple of pics I took in December 2009 which I don't think I've posted before and the earliest ones I seem to have taken of Ramchester.

681002169_R1(11-12-2009.JPG.a955049685c67c784a27e95297a309b8.JPGR4_(11-12-2009).JPG.426d8e8f1fbd85f629f950f90906204c.JPG

• Like 11

The April 2020 Railway Modeller just arrived in the post. Congratulations Rod for Ramchester as "Railway of the Month". I had that honour 25 years ago with Abersoch in the May 1995 edition.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Guys for your kind comments about the layout.

Chris. I will look your article out and give it another read next time I am in the the shed - I mean Platform 2. As I said in my article I have all issues of RM since its inception in Nov/Dec 1949 - vol 1 issue 1. 1995 issues will be in a cordex binder so the May edition should not be difficult to find.

Rod

• Like 2

Torday was Howard's birthday so as a surprise present I took him down to Plymouth for the day. We set off by train (of course) and arrived in Plymouth in bright sunshine and blue skies. After a cup of coffee we walked down to Sutton harbour and visited the National Marine Aquarium which was a first visit for both of us. This is well worth a visit for anyone with even the slightest interest in marine life with so much to see and it is quite something to stand in front of some of the huge tanks and have all kinds of fish swimming passed in front and over our heads. Not all the tanks are huge; some of them are small and others have domed glass in front to magnify the tiny creatures inside..Following our visit we went for a late lunch and then had a walk back via The Hoe to the station to catch the train home.

314412494_DSC05748(2).JPG.3d80746589e2e2932215d43688925c03.JPG

One of the ships spotted way out from the harbour.

2107447762_DSC05750(2).JPG.9a73584af97cce14c770ec2ffe173965.JPG

Howard on The Hoe.

1691255039_DSC05703(2).JPG.3af92e08ef27428523604c1a08407c77.JPG

This eagle eyed fish watched us for quite a long time and remained still long enough for me to take his photo.

DSC05701_(2).JPG.e64f468f156a002a2857c42a2fc7adcd.JPG

DSC05705_(2).JPG.53203ffba593ac5607335e7d959afd1f.JPG

Two shots of beautifully coloured fish swimming about in their tanks.

This was just a small selection of the photos I took just to give you a flavour of what the NMA is all about.

This post has nothing to do with railways or Ramchester but I hope you enjoy it.

Rod

• Like 10

On 12/03/2020 at 15:45, pwr said:

Rod

The layout looks really good in the modeller - congratulations. Some of the new viewing angles really show it off well.

regards

Paul R

Here's a shot of Ramchester you won't have seen before.

B

Ramchester planes 04.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Hi Brian.

Thanks for your kind comments.

I do like that photo even though the Red Arrows were not around in the late 50's. It is a shame that Steve Flint did not use any of the ones you took or the ones I took. Still the layout did get into the magazine and I am very pleased about that.

Rod

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railwayrod said:

Hi Brian.

I do like that photo even though the Red Arrows were not around in the late 50's. It is a shame that Steve Flint did not use any of the ones you took or the ones I took. Still the layout did get into the magazine and I am very pleased about that.

Rod

That's not the Red Arrows Rod.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The Black Arrows (predecessors of the red variety, using Hawker Hunters) were around in the 50s

But it aint them either!

The ones pictured would have lowered your goods yard surface for you (provided they were aiming at something 5 miles away!).

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Hi Brian.

Rod

Looks more like a Spitfire and a Hurricane to me. and two lancasters of course!

Lovely shot though!

Regards, Deano.

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Deano747 said:

Looks more like a Spitfire and a Hurricane to me. and two lancasters of course!

Lovely shot though!

Regards, Deano.

Must have been on a training exercise.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1