THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Well the coronavirus has halted major work on Ramchester's goods yard as Howard and I cannot meet for the duration of the crisis or at least not legally! With instructions not to go out etc Howard and I have decided that he will be unable to come up to Platform 2 and he does not want me to undertake the necessary work to bring the yard back to "normal". In any case I am no good at scenery and he has the right eye for colour etc. In the meantime here are a couple of photos showing just how far progress has been made.

DSC05758_(2).JPG.fb85cf474e05812cb2e8604f3fa9b1cd.JPG

DSC05759_(2).JPG.45b55dac29971dd026c9b3605f0afb7e.JPG

Most of the ballasting has been done but there is still a patch to be covered and the whole surface "treated".

Note the crane base and the crane itself has been temporarily deposited on the platform for safety's sake. 

More soon.

Rod

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Originally the goods shed was going to be where the cattle dock now is but we realised the site was a bit too cramped so moved it to where it is now. The front siding would have been the coal siding!

• Like 1

As I have been given strict instructions not to do anything in the goods yard I have given the area a vac and placed the goods shed back in position - at least the room looks tidy again. As a result I have been continuing with work on the Skytrex station trolleys and decided that I would try to make them more like the photos I have of ex LMS types. This entailed making up an angular shape from two small pieces of plastic chanel which I have then glued to the top of the  swivelling bit. I think that when it is painted and mounted under the "body" of the trolley it should look alright. It may not be spot on for accuracy but should look the part at the back of the station platform. Here is a picture of work so far.

285095489_DSC05761(2).JPG.1f4dbf6fd49b41d6d336a512df051510.JPG

I will need to paint these (next job) and touch up the paint work where I had to clean off to allow the glue to hold.

I will see how this goes and if all is OK will post another picture.

Rod

• Like 11

It is indeed a small world. Who would have believed that Ramchester appearing in the April issue of Railway Modeller would have been read by an ex colleague from the 1990's. The gentleman concerned was the Personnel Manager at RNIB in London with whom I had several chats about railway modelling all those years ago. He is a 4mm modeller who has an EM layout based on GWR practice and he is a RMweb member. Doubtless if he reads this he will respond in some way but in the meantime he is named Ken. If you do read this Ken many thanks for your kind comments on the layout they are very much appreciated.

I hope to get down into Platform 2 later this afternoon and do a bit more work on my station trolleys.

Rod

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't it  strange? You would think that with all this lock down I would e down in Platform 2 doing work on the layout, however with all this nice weather other things have taken over like working on the house and garden. Although the intention is to get into my modelling shed and get stuck in my mojo has been diverted somewhat into other tasks. Ah well I expect that when the weather breaks I will be getting on with some of the tasks to move Ramchester on. So no progress just lately but I am sure that something will happen. More anon.

Rod

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 3 weeks later...

Just when you thought that it was safe to peer over the parapet I am back! Not a great deal of work has been undertaken during the lock down but there has been a little (very little) work done with a paint brush on my two station barrows. However painting is not my fortay so I think that the paint may well have to be stripped off and a fresh start made. Still at least I have been dabbling!. The goods yard remains as it was and I suspect that it will do so until Howard and I can meet up again when the government gives the go-ahead for people to get together.

However there has been one new development as the photos show. I have splashed out and purchased two Dapol banana vans which are now standing on the layout temporarily in the oil siding as they cannot be pictured in the goods yard. They will need to be weathered and have TL couplings fitted in due course but they do look rather nice.

1836476118_DSC05777(2).JPG.2361062381c5d07d02926483563264de.JPG

1272474233_DSC05778(2).JPG.a8f11817a1a06c5c25e098a473873fa3.JPG

That's about it for now but I will be back soon.

Rod

• Like 10

Hi Rod, Glad to see your OK down there keeping yourself to yourself .......as it were .....I call it enforced enjoyment :crazy_mini:

Those Dapol Banana Vans do look good and for the money they are good value. I'm waiting for the the one that still to be released but might well go for one of those myself 

Take care and keep safe 

Martin 

• Thanks 1

I too can vouch for them. See my Black Notley thread.  There was a Geest banana store on the Bishops Stortford to Braintree line at Easton Lodge where bananas came from Avonmouth I think. They always went in the Bishops Stortford end but hey Rule 1 applies

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Matin.

These vans are good value for money but Howard pointed out that one of them is in TOPS livery which I did not realise when I ordered them. However as Paul says in his post above rule 1 applies and I am more than happy with both of them. In any case who knows in the future I may move eras into the seventies! Only time will tell.

Rod

• Agree 1

I am looking forward to their Conflat and BD container wagons. Dapol are really giving us some great wagons now and price very reasonable. Parkside kits are not much cheaper although there is more variety. Slaters are now more expensive I think,  and you have to build them!

Paul R

• Agree 1

Hello Paul.

I too am waiting for the conflats and container wagons as well as anything else that takes my fancy. I feel that they represent good value for money and as you say you still have to build and paint kits.

Rod

• Like 1

Rod

Any thoughts on their Bogie Bolster E.  The initial images seem a bit plasticky and toy like if you understand my meaning. I am tempted but I have a Connoisseur kit for this and as they almost fall together am minded just to build that. I built Jim's bigger GWR bolster which features in earlier posts (way back!) and this is supposed to be the start of steel trains for Lake and Elliot and Crittalls in Braintree.

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Paul.

At present I have not considered the bogie bolster but even if the initial illustration looks plasticy I am sure that it will tone down with a bit of weathering. I do want to increase my freight stock so this could well be a future purchase. I cannot see it being a regular visitor to Ramchester but as a Special Delivery wagon I am sure I can get away with one. Anyway as I pointed out above rule 1 always applies. Building brass kits is something that is beyond my skill and my poor eyesight so should I decide to have one it will have to be the Dapol version. I am sure that I can persuade Howard to get his weathering brush out!

Rod

If you want a bogie bolster wagon, I got a Skytrex Macaw B a few years back, and it’s really quite good in comparison to the brass (Connoisseur I think) one I’d built 20 some years back.  I’d certainly not be snobbish about it!

The Darstaed Crocodile well wagon compares well with the drawing in ABT except the bogies are about 2mm too high.  I dismantled them and milled the excess off, but you could do it with a file, it’s zamak and relatively soft.  I think they were done to allow use of coarse scale wheels, so I suggested to Ellis that he talk to Andries and make them right for finescale, and insert a washer for the pizza cutter flanges if required.  Here’s hoping the next ones will be so equipped.

I did think of buying two and making a Crocodile F but the cost put me off a bit!

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The third of my order for banana wagons arrived on Friday and I am posting a quick picture of the three of them together. When he has time I will ask Howard to weather them in readiness to be put into service.

503496692_DSC05779(2).JPG.5d68f2c8ddd4190cd37f63b3e135c27c.JPG

More anon.

Rod

• Like 3

They look good don't they!

Anyone know why Dapol have reverted to three link couplings as opposed to the nice Instanters that come on most of the other vans they do?

Paul R

Nothing to do with railways or Ramchester but yesterday afternoon we had a bit of excitement although not for the person for whom it had arrived. Directly in front of my bungalow is a common and the Sunday afternoon peace was shattered with the arrival of the Devon Air Ambulance helicopter which landed in front of my dwelling. It was accompanied by a First Response Vehicle which arived a couple of minutes later. The FRV then drove away to a nearby road but the helicopter stayed put for about three quarters of an hour before the crew returned empty handed and took off. As I said very exciting for us watchers but not for the person for whom it had arrived to attend. I can only hope that the person concerned is OK.

DSC05784_(2).JPG.e3329a7d5b69f79309958589baccfbf1.JPG

2121911501_DSC05787(2).JPG.850fc0b51292dc589ced616cbf54058a.JPG

Rod

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, bgman said:

That's quite a feat Rod, it isn't the largest of areas !

G

Bigger area than it looks in the photos. I heard it from my back garden as it took off and then appeared from behind the trees.

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes the area is bigger than it looks in the photos but is surrounded by trees making approach and landing quite tricky especially in a strongish wind. However these pilots are highly trained and usually manage to get into all sorts of difficult places.

Rod

• Friendly/supportive 1