THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hi HSB,

Well you have kept this well hidden, very nice indeed. Could you tell me the dimensions of the layout and I see it is a branch line so does it go to a fiddle yard or is it part of a circuit ? Anymore pictures would be most welcome.

All the best, Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

The layout is in a 30' by 12' shed with the station down one side and the fiddleyard down 20' of the other side, basically forming a J shape. It has taken two of us about 3 years so far and we still have a lot of work to do on it. We haven't taken many pictures up to now but will post some more in the near future now I have got around 75% of the back-scene done.

Cheers,

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the info regards the size of the layout, I have recently moved and I have a double garage that I intend to use for a layout. Your layout helps me visualise what is maybe possible with the size I have at my disposal. Thanks again and I will be following your thread and hopefully get to see some more pictures soon.

Regards, Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. Here's a picture of the tunnel mouth. This was the first part of the layout to reach reasonable completeness.

Cheers

Howard

DSCF0834.JPG

Edited by HSB
Original photos not showing
  • Like 19

Many thanks for everyone's comments on the state of "Ramchester". Howard and I have worked very hard to get this far and your encouraging remarks are very gratifying. Currently under construction is the goods shed which is about half complete at present although the main walls are done - the next job is the roof. More info from either Howard or myself as we progress.

railwayrod

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments. We intend to take some more pics as we progress. Most of the stock is owned by Rod, the exceptions being the two LIMA coaches which I reworked. Most of the goods stock was built from Slaters or Parkside Dundas kits while the Jinty is a Bachmann brass model painted by Tower Models.

Edited by HSB

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Peter. At the moment we are busy on the buildings at the station end of the layout and haven't had a running session for a while. Next time we do and have a change of stock in the station I'll take a few more pics.

Howard

• 4 months later...

I have not been on this site for some time now but I am flattered by everyones kind comments. Although I am the layouts owner I have to say that without the tremendous help and support given to me by Howard the layout would not be as far advanced as it is. He has been responsible for the scenic work - my role being confined to that of general labourer! However I am still working on the goods shed which is - I am pleased to say - getting nearer completion every week. All that remains to be done is to affix the roof tiles and put in the drainpipes + a little bit of this and that. I have cut out the walls for the station building and the bungalow which will sit in the front near corner but cannot progress further on these two projects as I am trying to source some suitable windows. One of the biggest jobs to be done in the not too distant future is to sort out the signalling and to construct them. Then there is the question of DCC........ I am pleased to know that our efforts are giving some of you a great deal of pleasure and I will keep you up to date with progress. Yes I will write an article for the magazines when it has reached a more complete state.

railwayrod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from the Isles of Scilly so little has been done to Ramchester. However today I have been busy carrying out slight mods to my latest acquisition, a ex LMS coach which Sidelines have built for me. My friend HSB came round today and he was busy looking at the hotel and the area between the station building and the corner. He took a couple of photos and will no doubt add them to those already on this site. Hope you like them.

railwayrod

Thanks Howard, the pics are, as usual, good and flatter the layout. I now have a train of five Sidelines coaches which Mr Binns has built for me. I have to say that they are very good indeed and I am very satisfied with them The finish and workmanship is very good and if I ever decide to backdate "Ramchester" to it's original LNWR days I will certainly get him to provide the passenger stock. I say this purely as a satisfied customer and I have no connection to Sidelines other than that. Howard took another couple of photos but for some reason this website would not accept them. We will keep you all up to date as progress is made but in the meantime many thanks for your encouraging comments.

railwayrod

Here are two of the pics I took today of Rod's train of ex-LMS coaches (rather inappropriately hauled by a Class 20!

Some nice pictures of the layout, but it can't be a class 20! It's painted in the original green without even the disfiguring yellow panels so it's probably pre-1962 and has to be an English Electric type 1 (and when it gets it's numbers it should have a "D" prefix).

Chaz

Edited by chaz