THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hi Paul & Hal Nail

There is still a lot to do to Ramchester before I can say that it is finished (if ever). Point rodding is just one of the tasks and of course a tablet system will have to be included as this is a single line. Not sure when I will get around to doing this but it will be done eventually I hope. 

As to whether her ladyship wants something that is out of gauge she will have to arrange her own transport! Perhaps I will have to form a Ram Steamship and Airline Company!

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
Spelling error

He Paul & Hal Nail

There is still a lot to do to Ramchester before I can say that it is finished (if ever). Point rodding is just one of the tasks and of course a tablet system will have to be included as this is a single line. Not sure when I will get around to doing this but it will be done eventually I hope. 

As to whether her ladyship wants something that is out of gauge she will have to arrange her own transport! Perhaps I will have to form a Ram Steamship and Airline Company!

Rod

Let me know how you get on with point rodding. I was going to experiment with the Wills system which is slightly overscale but I havent managed to get hold of any yet since our local model shoip closed

Paul R

Yes I will Paul I was thinking of the C & L components and Howard and I had a short discussion about point rodding this afternoon. I think that it might be good for me to obtain a small quantity of bits and experiment with them. It will be a challenge for me with my eyesight but I will have a go. Watch this space.

Rod

Today Howard and I have been busy re doing a little bit of the scenery. The bit where the brook drops down into the drainage ditch did not appear to satisfy Howard's artistic talent so he decided to make some fairly simple changes. This involved plaster impregnated bandages (small pieces), some paint and a bit of "pouring Water" from I think Greenscenes. More of this anon and when he has finished this I will post some photos.

All for now.

Rod

• Like 1

Took a trip to Beer today with my friend Peter. He wanted to purchase a few items for his layout while I had a chat with Steve Flint Editor of Railway Modeller to hand over my article on the layout. The lead time is in excess of a year so Ramchester will not appear in print until 2020. Deep your eye on RM!

Rod

• Like 4

Howard and I had a further session yesterday and he had a go at finishing the area by the culvert that we started a short time ago. I took some pictures of him at work and the effect he has had on the area in question. Here are a couple of shots of what he had achieved and one of him busy at work.

post-13361-0-55598800-1547742674_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-16987200-1547742560_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-64604400-1547742605_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 12

Lovely scene around the culvert area most impressive got the water look just right and adds an extra bit of interest. It's a useful photo of Howard working on the layout at close quarters as it shows the true height etc of the embankment and tree which is not quite evident from a photograph taken from further away. 

Thanks gismorail for your kind comments. I do consider myself very lucky to have a friend who is talented and who is willing to help me with the layout. I feel that he has a good eye for colour, tones, texture, etc and I know that I can happily leave him to it knowing that he will do a good job. I have a problem with colour but I know when it looks wrong but I am totally unable to put it right due to my eyesight. Howard does that for me and I am grateful to him for his help.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
Spelling error

The original 'water' is varnish which was starting to look a bit dull so I have poured on some stuff which Rod bought from Green Scenes at the last Taunton exhibition. I had originally put water all along the drainage ditch but recently decided it would look more convincing if it just ran between the water fall and the culvert so the rest will now be filled with weeds.

• Like 4

As Howard indicated above here is my post on Wednesday's operating session. My friends David Mead and Tony Warner plus of course Howard came round for an operating session down in Platform 2. As usual we started with drinks (tea and coffee before getting down to some serious operating. The first photo shows David on the left, Tony in the middle and Howard on the fight all supping a beverage of one sort or another.

post-13361-0-39134300-1548360692_thumb.jpg

Afterwards both David and Tony ran trains at the same time - Tony bringing trains in and David shunting. It was good to see two trains running at the same time which is something that is difficult to do when operating solo. Of course the drivers had to take notice of the signals to avoid the possibility of collisions and a public enquiry!!

post-13361-0-25670500-1548360763_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-48472900-1548360906_thumb.jpg

Later Maggie came to Platform 2 armed with orange drizzle cake and chocolate biscuits.

post-13361-0-67798800-1548361058_thumb.jpg

The afternoon went all too quickly but we all enjoyed it.

Rod

• Like 19

Thanks Paul for your kind comments.It is pleasing to know that the layout gives followers of this thread much pleasure and hopefully encouragement. I have to say that my layout would not be as good as it is without a great deal of input from my friend Howard who I think has done a fantastic job of the scenery.

At this point I would like to repeat my invitation to followers who would like to see the layout to contact me (by PM) I always enjoy having visitors to Platform 2 and it gives me the opportunity to watch the layout being operated. So if you are planning a visit to the Torbay area and would like to come along please drop me a line.

Rod

• Like 2

Howard, Peter & his wife Birgit, and I visited the Bristol show last Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The venue is excellent with catering facilities and plenty of room to move around. It was nice to see people we knew and catch up with all the gossip.

At the show I made a number of purchases including another Dapol BR brake van - this time in grey livery which Tower Models had applied a basic coat of weathering. I have posted a couple of pictures of this van but before it goes into service it will receive the "Howard" treatment to improve the weathering and will need to be fitted with tension lock couplings. 

323452678_DSC03616(2).JPG.7dcd79e37e0297177b153cf9f114b9fb.JPG

903752911_DSC03617(2).JPG.82053a60db531168f1b09dfd758b4d9b.JPG466402662_DSC03618(2).JPG.dfbf300e1b8c42cc4b1fd18c063c36f0.JPG

I also picked up a loco crew from Detailed Miniatures for my S & D Jinty together with a couple of crates for the goods shed/loads etc. Finally I obtained two more packets of Dropstops from Parliamentary Trains so all my Peco turnouts in the fiddle yard are now fitted with them and a pair of Peco loading gauges which I know are not correct but unti I can find something better they will have to do..

Rod

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, railwayrod said:

Its not bad Andy but will be even better after Howard has got his hands on it. Will post pictures of it when he has finished.

Red Devon soil ? A long way from Cumbria!!

Rod

And I thought that was Torbay in the background. I never really looked at the infrastructure and Buildings, or for that matter read post #1, which I have just done.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Howard and I had a further session today and he proceeded to work on the new brake van. This is coming along nicely and I will post some pictures when he has finished it. I spent the afternoon assembling one of my Peco loading gauges and again will post pictures in the near future. This Wednesday I have more visitors to the railway so tomorrow it is a tidy up day and a track clean to ensure that all runs well for my visitors. 

More anon.

Rod

• Like 5

Yesterday afternoon went extremely well and my visitors enjoyed the layout and the tea/coffee and eats. I took a few photos of the event and here they are.

The "gang" sit and enjoy a drink and cakes while we put the world to rights (railway wise) with some interesting stories from Tim about his experiences when working on the railways. From left to right is Howard, Barrie, Tim and Brian

DSC03661_(2).JPG.b2813d72a934d6bf9f1170f2505e10bb.JPG

Later Barrie took over and collected the oil tankers from the oil siding and picking up two barrier flat wagons and the brake van before departing to the fiddle yard.

152772127_DSC03659(2).JPG.d6aa0f6151e0b5bc7575c563c8a3403b.JPG

963433639_DSC03660(3).JPG.b9dd8889e8aff8c9bce91eceae691466.JPG

Both Brian and Tim had a turn on the controls and the afternoon semmed to fly by. More pictures next time.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

Hello Brian.

My baseboard width varies as the line moves out towards the tunnel. At the buffer stop end by the goods shed the width is about 50 inches but by the oil siding it is down to just over 25 inches. Around the curve the width is under 24 inches. The shed is 30 feet long and 12 feet wide (outside dimensions) and the walls are 3 inches thick. The whole building is fully insulated and heated by means of an oil filled radiator on a time switch. I am one of those people who dislike baseboards with a straight edge so mine is "wavy". Everyone to his own!!

Rod

• Like 3