THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Rod and I have spent the last two afternoons working on Ramchester and I took along my LMS Utility Van today to photograph on the layout. It has acquired bogies and buffers since I posted the earlier snap. Unfortunately, when buffering up to other stock on the layout, I discovered it is sitting too high on its bogies which I will now have to sort out somehow.

post-12623-0-91130200-1384372317_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Rod organised his annual pre-Christmas get-together in his shed this afternoon. Unfortunately three of our regulars were unable to attend due to health problems but John Farmer (Re 6//6) was able to make a second visit so with myself, Rod and Brian Harrap there were four RMWebbers there altogether. John took a few pics with his camera phone which he is planning to post on here and which we look forward to seeing. Here are a couple of shots I took of this suspicious occasion:- 

post-12623-0-30732800-1387308209.jpg

post-12623-0-91754500-1387308233.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Yes a very enjoyable afternoon was had by all playing trains on Ramchester. Thank you Rod for your hospitality.

I was truly amazed at the buildings and scenic developments that had been done since my last visit.

A few phone snaps.:

Some nice cliff modelling.

post-6728-0-17854500-1387317696_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-86418100-1387317746_thumb.jpg

Some of HSB's very effective weathering.

post-6728-0-42553100-1387317769_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-20781900-1387317957_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-00965000-1387318096_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-26969100-1387318375_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-13454000-1387318430_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-79766300-1387318482_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-23022600-1387318560_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-65214900-1387318609_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-44968900-1387318661_thumb.jpg

A very nice new product from the USA!

post-6728-0-77018300-1387318698_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 10

Ramchester is really coming on rather well. Had a wonderful time yesterday with the operating gang doing lots of shunting and making lots of mistakes. How was I to know there's got to be a flat wagon between a class B tank wagon and the loco, learn something new every day. Beautifull running too. Here's a picture I took, weathering on the wagons is First Class.

Brian

post-5773-0-75749400-1387371533_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Rod organised his annual pre-Christmas get-together in his shed this afternoon. Unfortunately three of our regulars were unable to attend due to health problems but John Farmer (Re 6//6) was able to make a second visit so with myself, Rod and Brian Harrap there were four RMWebbers there altogether. John took a few pics with his camera phone which he is planning to post on here and which we look forward to seeing. Here are a couple of shots I took of this suspicious occasion:- 

attachicon.gifPICT0158 (640x453).jpg

attachicon.gifPICT0159 (640x380).jpg

Yes a very enjoyable afternoon was had by all playing trains on Ramchester. Thank you Rod for your hospitality.

I was truly amazed at the buildings and scenic developments that had been done since my last visit.

A few phone snaps.:

Some nice cliff modelling.

attachicon.gif025.jpg

attachicon.gif029.jpg

Some of HSB's very effective weathering.

attachicon.gif030.jpg

attachicon.gif032.jpg

attachicon.gif037.jpg

attachicon.gif050.jpg

attachicon.gif053.jpg

attachicon.gif054.jpg

attachicon.gif057.jpg

attachicon.gif059.jpg

attachicon.gif067.jpg

A very nice new product from the USA!

attachicon.gif075.jpg

Last few:

Love the seagull deposits!

attachicon.gif083.jpg

attachicon.gif085.jpg

attachicon.gif089.jpg

attachicon.gif093.jpg

And finally some of Howard's fine scenery.

attachicon.gif095.jpg

attachicon.gif098.jpg

Ramchester is really coming on rather well. Had a wonderful time yesterday with the operating gang doing lots of shunting and making lots of mistakes. How was I to know there's got to be a flat wagon between a class B tank wagon and the loco, learn something new every day. Beautifull running too. Here's a picture I took, weathering on the wagons is First Class.

Brian

Hi Fella's,

I like the panoramic view of the layout -superb!

I also very much like the parcels train - something along the lines of what I hope to achieve - I now how a couple of the MTH BG's (one for a repaint into Carmine and one is in Corporate Blue - both awaiting some mods to the chassis etc.), a MK1 BG from a Lima coach and CCT and PLV to follow.

BTW I'm a big fan of Brian Harrup's work too.

Thanks for the photos - I am very envious, looks like you all had a lot of fun.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi CME,

The MTH BGs are really excellent models - especially at the price. The only obvious fault I have found is in the shape of the electricity regulator box which I am going to replace. You might like to consider blanking off the corridor connections on your blue one as was done on the prototype.

Thanks Guys for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to have you round and to see the layout being operated and some more pictures put on the site. My thanks must go to Howard who has been responsible for the scenic work (and a great deal of other work) and to the support and encouragement from my friends particularly Brian H who has often spurred me on when I felt that things were getting too difficult. It was also nice to see John Day. Re6/6 and John Drummond Smith (ex Torbay Model Supplies) and of course Peter Gray railway photographer and historian. We had a lovely afternoon and thanks to you all for coming.

I have been working on the cattle dock which slowly creeps towards completion and Howard continues to work on the station building.

Railwayrod

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of shots I took of this suspicious occasion

"Suspicious" is a very appropriate word there Howard.....

The layout is looking fab, developing very nicely.  Obviously plenty of operating potential as well, if you can keep a visiting group busy

All the best, Dave.T

Edited by DLT

Hi CME,

The MTH BGs are really excellent models - especially at the price. The only obvious fault I have found is in the shape of the electricity regulator box which I am going to replace. You might like to consider blanking off the corridor connections on your blue one as was done on the prototype.

Hi Howard,

Yes indeed, I shall be - for my era - blanking off those end vestibules etc. probably on both. On the LMS BG (to be re-painted in carmine) I have an ABS Battery/Regulator box. On the LMS version from the first batch there was no battery/reg box, the BR Corporate blue version has it moulded in, I have yet to check it against the ABS version - it looks okay. What are your thoughts?

The side beading will stay as is on the blue-un :-)

I will have a go at taking chunks out of the foot-boards though! :-0

The glazing is a lot more 'flush' than on their other coaches - great value for money.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

We bought the CRT casting at Telford but I used some ABS bits on my LIMA Mk1s which were quite nice castings

I  received my Xmas present to myself today in the form of a Heljan Class 20 which I'm hoping to give a test run on Ramchester tomorrow.

The layout only needs a couple of people to actually operate at one time - one to drive and change the points and one to uncouple. Everybody else was busy drinking tea and yapping!

Edited by HSB

We bought the CRT casting at Telford but I used some ABS bits on my LIMA Mk1s which were quite nice castings

I  received my Xmas present to myself today in the form of a Heljan Class 20 which I'm hoping to give a test run on Ramchester tomorrow.

The layout only needs a couple of people to actually operate at one time - one to drive and change the points and one to uncouple. Everybody else was busy drinking tea and yapping!

Hi Howard,

I like ABS parts they are very good.

So am I to understand that you will be removing the Battery Box and the Regulator Box from your MTH BG?

A nice new loce eh - I am envious!

Kindest,

CME

The battery boxes are fine, it's just the Regulator that's the wrong shape

We gave my new Class 20 (or English Electric Type 1 as they were originally) a run this afternoon and it ran very well straight out of the box. We also double-headed it with Rod's 20 and they ran quite well together. Hopefully Rod will be posting a pic later if he can work out how to down-size it first.  

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Yes indeed Howard has purchased his first 0 gauge loco - an English Electric Type 1 later known as a class 20. Here are a couple of pics of this loco on my layout.

post-13361-0-32103800-1387576570_thumb.jpg

[post-13361-0-93597200-1387576781_thumb.jpg

After 4 plus years of hard work Howard has succumbed to the larger scale!!!

Railwayrod

• Like 7

Strictly speaking this is not my first 0 Gauge loco as I bought an Atlas Plymouth many years ago which I Anglicised. Unfortunately, since I had a friend convert it to Scale7 for me a few years ago it hasn't run very well although I don't think the two are connected as it appears to be a problem with the motor bearings.

post-12623-0-00230100-1387651499.jpg

• Like 3

A Happy 2014 to everyone.

The Christmas Say Special

Despite the bad weather we have experienced this Christmas a special freight train ran into Ramchester on Christmas Day. This train has run every year in various guises for many years. Our local reporter was on hand to record this event and his pictures are attached to this post.

post-13361-0-14996800-1388075922_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-50196400-1388075966_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-66529300-1388075996_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

We did a bit of work on the layout this afternoon (our first session of 2014). I have made a rough mock-up of the station roof to work out how best to proceed with the real one and get a better idea of how it will look. We need a few details for the interior before I can start work on the actual roof.  I have also finished off the weathering on a couple of Rod's Lionheart wagons so he can add them to his coal train.

I also took along my CCT to check it would still run round the curves okay after I lowered it (it was sitting too high on it's bogies initially) and can happily report there was no problem and when buffered up to Rod's MTH BG the heights now match almost exactly. Rod took a couple of pictures which he may post later. 

Edited by HSB