THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Things are looking up! Today my ECoS transformer arrived back and this afternoon I intend to go and have a play to ensure that all is well. My Dapol Jinty has now been corrected and should be back with me later this week. I have also had a message from David (Jintyman) to say that he will be putting the 4F into the delivery system and that I should get it back on Thursday. Phew what a relief that all is slowly getting back to normal.

Will post some photos of the 4F later this week.

Rod

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Mindu some of the 1960s kit was still being used in the 1980s, Green Godesses and older (driving schools)......need Warflats too.

I remember driving one of the last Centurion ARVs to be back loaded from BAOR on to an LSL at Antwerp docks in 1982.

• Like 1

I remember driving one of the last Centurion ARVs to be back loaded from BAOR on to an LSL at Antwerp docks in 1982.

Hi HH,

Thats interesting to know.

My dad drove Centurions et al and commanded such back in 1950s.

My understanding was that they never went by rail (back then), due to size/weight issues, and were transported on low-loaders hauled by Antars for many years.

The 'Cents' as 'bunker busters' kept going in the sandy stuff in GW1 when other kit (esp USA) ground to a halt with the sand being crushed by tracked vehicles into a dust.

ATVB

CME

I am pleased to say that my replacement transformer for the ECoS Cammand Station which came yesterday is up and running and now seems OK. It was a different story with my Dapol Jinty which arrived this afternoon after being away having its back to backs sorted out. When placed on the track all I got was a grinding noise but the loco would not move. I have contacted DCC Supploes who undertake the guarantee for Dapol and will return it to them at the Bristol 0 gauge show on Sunday for further examination. My 4F should arrive later this week, perhaps tomorrow, so this is something to look forward to.

In the meantime here are a couple of photos.

post-13361-0-88759000-1516823768_thumb.jpg

A quiet moment at Ramchester.

post-13361-0-32642600-1516823831_thumb.jpg

Howard has been working on the new tunnel mouth and this is progress so far. He still has more work to undertake on the portal but at least some progress on the layout has been made.

More anon.

Rod

• Like 10

I am pleased to say that my replacement transformer for the ECoS Cammand Station which came yesterday is up and running and now seems OK. It was a different story with my Dapol Jinty which arrived this afternoon after being away having its back to backs sorted out. When placed on the track all I got was a grinding noise but the loco would not move. I have contacted DCC Supploes who undertake the guarantee for Dapol and will return it to them at the Bristol 0 gauge show on Sunday for further examination. My 4F should arrive later this week, perhaps tomorrow, so this is something to look forward to.

In the meantime here are a couple of photos.

attachicon.gifDSC02214 (3).jpg

A quiet moment at Ramchester.

attachicon.gifDSC02213 (2).JPG

Howard has been working on the new tunnel mouth and this is progress so far. He still has more work to undertake on the portal but at least some progress on the layout has been made.

More anon.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Glad things are resolving re DCC side of things.

Sorry to hear about the Jinty, two friends reported problems with their 08s too. The new 8750 Pannier looks good (firebox glow, inside motion etc etc), but Im very happy with my Minerva. Im a little nervous about Dapol getting their hands on the Lionheart 74xx and 64xx Panniers. Sounds like QC issues with Dapol output re the Jinty.

Ive bought a fair bit of RTR cost effectively over the past couple of years, not without its problems-if I can, I want to, after the layout is substaintially complete, replace with kit builds. Either that, if we still have a cottage industry left, or buy replacement chassis, gears and motors for these Chinese models, if we are lucky enough to have such facilities (not sure how these RTR models will cope with garden railway 'work').

On the happier things I love the photos!

Kindest regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Sorry to read about your Jinty Rod, mine is sweet and so are the other 5 we have in our Club, I've had 4 X 08's, and again, I would say quality was first rate, I feel you have just been extremely unlucky.

Maybe luck comes into it, but I have friends who have all had issues with their 08s and two Jintys to date-ergo inconsistant QC, lack of TQM.

I am glad yours are okay.

ATVB

CME

EDIT:-Not wishing to clog up Rod's Thread. Quick thought; AFAICT most of these models come from the same Chinese factory, its a shame that the market segment isnt big enough to have a second factory, so as to open up competition and ease the current bottle-neck. The existing factory appears to be good, innovative even, but TQM throughout appears to be lacking, unless managed by the client commisioning the model. There are, of course, 'acceptable' and accepted failure rates, which will be relative to each buyers contracted T&Cs.....what that is in China? A wide margin I imagine. BACK ON TOPIC NOW.

Hello Andy.

My friend Peter Martin also has a Jinty and his is fine so maybe I have a Friday afternoon model!

Dapols guarantee seems to be one of the best so I am sure that all will be well eventually.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod

Hi Rod,

With a defective product, one that is neither fit for purpose nor of a satisfactory quality, replacement or refund are the statutory rights Rod. With no financial or material inconvienence to you, ie your costs, except the intial purchase costs, should be nil, if unable to replace then a refund should ensue.

Im sure that you will be looked after.

Warm wishes and kind regards,

M.

Hi CME

You are quite right about refund etc but Dapol do offer a no quibble guarantee so I am sure there will not be a problem.

Have just checked the tracking service and it looks as though my 4F will arrive tomorrow.

ATVB

Rod

Enjoy the 4F - sounds good to me.

BTW looking at that sweeping view of the layout on a PC, instead of the phone, wow! It just keeps getting better and better!

Kindest,

M.

• Like 1

Hello one and all.

It is back. I am pleased to say that the 4F arrived safely this lunch time so I spent a very pleasant afternoon playing trains. Fabulous way to wile away a couple of hours or so. I am attaching some photos of its first running session on Ramcheser for you to browse over and I trust that you will enjoy the views.

The first picture shows 44360 arriving at Ramchester with a coal train to replenish the coal merchants stock. It is paused at the signal awaiting clearance to enter the yard.

post-13361-0-15259200-1516995838_thumb.jpg

It then runs round its train in order to detach the brake van.

post-13361-0-09784200-1516995997_thumb.jpg

It then waits at the signal before entering the main line.

post-13361-0-39447900-1516996418_thumb.jpg

Having coupled up to the brake van it pulls forward to shunt it into one of the empty sidings.

post-13361-0-41527600-1516996219_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-64162700-1516996656_thumb.jpg

Next it shunts the full coal wagons into the siding adjacent to the coal merchant.

post-13361-0-71623700-1516996731_thumb.jpg

Pulling out the empty coal wagons from the CM siding it reverses to pick up the full ones and transfers them to the CM siding.

post-13361-0-57011800-1516996958_thumb.jpg

it then runs round the empties.

post-13361-0-77043700-1516997115_thumb.jpg

Waits for clearance, before moving onto the front of the train.

post-13361-0-51187700-1516997262_thumb.jpg

Having reversed and picked up the brake van it is now ready to leave and departs from Ramchester.

post-13361-0-47234400-1516997446_thumb.jpg

I really enjoyed this shunt.

Rod

• Like 16

Hello one and all.

It is back. I am pleased to say that the 4F arrived safely this lunch time so I spent a very pleasant afternoon playing trains. Fabulous way to wile away a couple of hours or so. I am attaching some photos of its first running session on Ramcheser for you to browse over and I trust that you will enjoy the views.

The first picture shows 44360 arriving at Ramchester with a coal train to replenish the coal merchants stock. It is paused at the signal awaiting clearance to enter the yard.

attachicon.gifDSC02215 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02217 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02218 (2).JPG

Having coupled up to the brake van it pulls forward to shunt it into one of the empty sidings.

attachicon.gifDSC02220 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02221.JPG

Next it shunts the full coal wagons into the siding adjacent to the coal merchant.

attachicon.gifDSC02222 (2).JPG

Pulling out the empty coal wagons from the CM siding it reverses to pick up the full ones and transfers them to the CM siding.

attachicon.gifDSC02223 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02224 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02225 (2).JPG

Having reversed and picked up the brake van it is now ready to leave and departs from Ramchester.

attachicon.gifDSC02226 (2).JPG

Rod

The 4F looks nicely settled back in at home after its journey back from Wales.

Glad the courier service did their job correctly, it's always a nervous time when expensive models are entrusted to couriers.

Jinty ;) 

• Like 1

Hello one and all.

attachicon.gifDSC02215 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02217 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02218 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02220 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02221.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02222 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02223 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02224 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02225 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02226 (2).JPG

Rod

Superb! You lucky fella!

• Like 1

The 4F looks nicely settled back in at home after its journey back from Wales.

Glad the courier service did their job correctly, it's always a nervous time when expensive models are entrusted to couriers.

Jinty ;)

We have found the Royal Mail's sorting offices in Chester and Peterborough are very rough handlers of parcels and that UPS has a talent for dropping cases. 

It was good to see so many of you at yesterdays Bristol show and to renew acquaintances. I thought that the show lived up to its usual high standard and seemed to be well supported both by traders and more importantly by us punters. I purchased a few bits and pieces for the layout including some more LNWR signal box levers and a crew for my Black 5.

Thank you to all who posted a like on my photos of the  4F loco on it return to duties at Ramchester and I am very pleased with the sound and the weathering which Jintyman did for me.

Only a short post this time but to9 finish here are a couple of pictures of my Jinty which David did together with a look at the 4F and the Jinty in the fiddle yard.

post-13361-0-75424500-1517253788_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-82826800-1517253841_thumb.jpg

All for now

Rod

• Like 12

Most enjoyable show Rod, sorry I didn't manage to see you but it was probably because I was on the floor trying to pick my wallet up after a BIG purchase !

Well worth going up and now in O Gauge heaven  :angel:

The above photos of the locos are excellent.

ATB 

Grahame

Sorry I missed you yesterday Grahame but I am intrigued as to your BIG purchase. Are we going to be enlightened?

Rod

Not to worry Rod, there was a seemingly large Devon contingent there and I spent quite some time having a good yap and catch up with a few.

As for the one of the purchases it was a GWR 2301 Class Dean Goods kit from Warren who is a really nice chap to talk to and I found out that we have connections from the past albeit in a slightly tenuous way !

I've always wanted a DG and with the tender option which he offers when purchasing the kit I felt it worth having.

Other bits including a GWR Hydra ( bought for a snip as an unmade kit too ! ).

I'm currently working on a couple of baseboards so can't wait to crack on, most of my "smaller" stuff now sold and very happy ! 

Grahame

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

Howard and my friend Peter Martin came round this afternoon as Peter wanted to show us his Minerva Panier tank plus his B set which he had been working on. The B set is a standard Dapol/Lionheart model but Peter has been busy fitting interior lighting and a working tail lamp at each end. The pictures show the train arriving at Ramchester but it is a bit of a mystery as to how it managed to get to Cumbria and we can only assume it must have taken a wrong turn somewhere down south but no one knows for sure. Anyway it arrived at Ramchester full of energy and pulling it two coach train. Here are a few pictures of the event which I hope you will enjoy and perhaps offer some sort of explanation as to what an ex GWR train is doing in Cumbria!

post-13361-0-64445400-1517859630_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-84066700-1517859724_thumb.jpg

Our photographer managed to get a photo of the Panier whilst the fireman was uncoupling it from its train.

post-13361-0-60495700-1517859893_thumb.jpg

Having run round its train and shunting its coaches into the bay platform the driver looked embarrassed and could not wait to leave! He left the station so fast that our photographers photo is a little blurred!!

post-13361-0-01759700-1517860077_thumb.jpg

To finish off this post here are a few photos ofthe lighting DCC controlled.

post-13361-0-20291800-1517860224_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-79844800-1517860267_thumb.jpg

The above are the two ends of the train whilst below are the illuminated interiors.

post-13361-0-83594000-1517860373_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-20877200-1517860427_thumb.jpg

I will have to consult with the authorities as I understand that an official enquiry is to take place as to what happened and how the train got as far as Ramchester without being halted by all the signal men along the route. The mystery remains to be solved!!

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 12