THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Rod,

That is excellent news. I have always liked the Railway Modeller to which I have subscribed continuously since early 1971. I think it strikes the right balance between narrative text and illustrations thus avoiding the tabloid feel of some of its competitors. I especially like the continuing contributions from enthusiasts rather than a dominance of staff writers and, of course, the advertising tops and tails the editorial rather than interrupting it. My first article was published in the November 1992 edition.

I will be at Telford on Saturday on the Minerva stand and hope to see you and Howard there.

Regards,

Chris

Good luck with the article Rod.

Kingsmill was my first article in RM, in 2009 and I've had about 20 plus in there since then covering everything from different weathering projects, backscene painting and several Layouts. Steve is always constructive and helpful as are all his team, and you normally get your complimentary copy and cheque normally the day before publication, without the need to invoice or chase up, or buy a copy to see if you are in there, as I've had with other publications. Having had articles in the 4 Majors, RM, BRM, MR and Hornby, I found the photo quality even from my own pics more than satisfactory.

Hope to see you at Telford Chris.

Edited by Andrew P

Excuse my ignorance Andrew which layout is yours?

Andy is currently building and running "Pen-y-Bont" in 7mm and "Kings Moreton" in 4mm. Not sure which is next in press!

Totally agree with Chris K's comments about how well balanced RM is.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance Andrew which layout is yours?

Yes as David says, Pen Y Bont is the current 7mm projects, and my 4mm Kings Moreton has just been sold, and will be delivered to it's new owner in a couple of weeks.

Neither Layout has been photographed for any Mag, mainly due to my poor health of late,  but Pen may well be one day once finished.

Previous Layout articles have included; Kingsmill, Glen Roy, Loch Leven, Fiddlers Yard, Deesdale Road, Porth Merryn, West Shed and Pencarne, all in 4 mm, Glenfinick in N Gauge, and St Budoc and Trebudoc in 7mm. Some have been duplicated in other Mags as well as RM. 

I have plans  for a replacement 4mm Layout, and also another 7mm one, once Pen Y Bont is finished and Sold.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Howard, Peter and I met up this afternoon to give my 04 another run. Peter brought down his latest wagon which he had built from a Parkside kit. He has made a nice job of this fruit van but he said that he is not entirely happy with the colour but he will see what it looks like after he has completed the weathering. He also brought along the ex MR brake van to which he had fitted vac pipes as some of the later batches were so fitted and others fitted retrospectively. Here are a couple of photos of his latest work which I hope you will enjoy..

post-13361-0-51736800-1532979854_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-63409700-1532979906_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-48485600-1532979938_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-66350700-1532979968_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of visitors coming to see the layout this week so I hope it will go as well as the last time.

Back soon

Rod

• Like 12

I had a couple of visitors today to see and operate the layout. It was last year when Andrew and Tony visited the layout - at least it was pre digital so neither of them had heard the sound of some of my fleet. Howard was of course present and took part in the operating of the layout. I took a few pictures of the visit so here they are.

post-13361-0-64626500-1533151220_thumb.jpg

Tony Warner undertaking shunting duties as he prepares a freight ready for the afternoon departure.

post-13361-0-37359700-1533151414_thumb.jpg

Tony Warner at the controls bringing into the station 4F 44360 on a local passenger train.

post-13361-0-73716500-1533151647_thumb.jpg

D8125 arrives at Ramchester with the mail train.

Tony and Andrew watch as Howard sorts out the mail train.

post-13361-0-34416000-1533151834_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-20641300-1533151920_thumb.jpg

Howard at the controls!

post-13361-0-16117500-1533151991_thumb.jpg

After unloading and reloading the mail train is ready to depart.

All for now

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 9

Howard, Peter and I met up this afternoon to give my 04 another run. Peter brought down his latest wagon which he had built from a Parkside kit. He has made a nice job of this fruit van but he said that he is not entirely happy with the colour but he will see what it looks like after he has completed the weathering. He also brought along the ex MR brake van to which he had fitted vac pipes as some of the later batches were so fitted and others fitted retrospectively. Here are a couple of photos of his latest work which I hope you will enjoy..

attachicon.gifDSC02968 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02966 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02969 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02967 (2).JPG

I have a couple of visitors coming to see the layout this week so I hope it will go as well as the last time.

Back soon

Rod

Hi Rod,

The wagonry looks great!

The Bauxite will tone down/change with weathering.

Does anyone know if the Ex-GWR Fruit Van is thru vacuum or fully vacuum braked version? I seem to recall some were unfitted too?

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I thought they were fitted for fast running, but would have to check. Not tonight!

Best

Simon

I agree Simon, thanks, but I'm sure I've seen 'grey uns' too......

Fruit Vans where vac Fitted and rated XP

Was it the bloater that was through piped ??

......That's what's confusing me Steve, I've got one 85% finished and its confusing me. The BR types were all VB (XP) for obvious reasons.

Thanks fellas,

ATVB,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

The GWR painted all its goods stock grey, regardless of whether it had vac brakes or not. It was only the specifically passenger rated stock that was painted coach brown. Bloaters, siphons and some Fruit (Fruit D for instance) were brown but the goods fruit wagons as in post 2010 were painted grey by the GWR. How long BR took to repaint them in bauxite would have varied

"Passenger rating" of course refers to the running gear, not the accommodation. Unlike today.

Just a quick post to show Peters latest bit of kit. This is a Parkside GWR brake van which he had just completed but awaiting weathering. I think it looks really nice but what do you think?

post-13361-0-24714600-1533589227_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-34643900-1533589282_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-90744500-1533589308_thumb.jpg

And the underside.

post-13361-0-12042500-1533589379_thumb.jpg

Howard and I were looking at the fiddle yard entrance but I will post this tomorrow.

Rod

• Like 10

Following on from the photos of Peters GWR brake van Howard began to lift the 3-way point and cut a section out of the rear siding to accommodate the Peco points. Before he did this I took a photo of the fiddle yard as it is and another shot with the two points laid on top to give us an idea of how it would fit in. All seemed well so out came the lifting gear and the 3-way was carefully eased out.. The Peco point was laid in place and when we were satisfied with its position the rear track was marked and carefully cut out ready for the installation.

post-13361-0-86459200-1533756627_thumb.jpg

The existing fiddle yard.

post-13361-0-80506600-1533756783_thumb.jpg

The same view with the two Peco points laid roughly in position.

From the left the second FY siding will exit from the first one - the subsequent reduction in the length of this siding is of little consequence as I can still get an extra coach in there if need be.

More soon.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 9

Today the two micro switches for the Peco points arrived in the post. I do not think I will be able to fit them this weekend but they should be in place during the early part of next week. These switches will be hidden under the raised bit by the tie bar so will not be visible to the eye save for the three wires which will have to be surface mounted in the fiddle yard. This will not matter as it is "off stage".

post-13361-0-48683700-1533927055_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 5

Howard and I got together this afternoon to make a start on altering the beginning of the fiddle yard. The photo shows the first turnout laid in place with all the rails fettled so that it would fit properly. The turnout was then lifted and the micro switch wired up and fixed into position. This was then tested and much to our dismay we had a short. This did not take long to sort out and the offending wires reversed and the track re-laid. This time all was well I am pleased to say. We then discovered that the second point did not line up properly with the two diverging tracks so a great deal of head scratching took place to find a satisfactory solution. We decided that by slightly curving the point and incorporation a slight reverse curve all should be well (we hope). This is as far as we had time to go this afternoon but on Wednesday we should be able to lay the point and its connecting tracks. Fingers crossed!!

post-13361-0-41831300-1534187195_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 7

Hi Rod and Howard,

That looks somewhat more 'simplified and dependable' if they are the right words.

You should have much better running and the deficit in the longest fiddle yard track lengths isn't an issue looking at where the Black 5 and its coaches are when parked.

Regards

Jinty ;)

Hi Rod and Howard,

That looks somewhat more 'simplified and dependable' if they are the right words.

You should have much better running and the deficit in the longest fiddle yard track lengths isn't an issue looking at where the Black 5 and its coaches are when parked.

Regards

Jinty ;)

It's what BR would have done.

The first point has been wired and tested and works well with no shorts. The first picture shows it in place.

post-13361-0-89526100-1534262266_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows roughly where the second point will go.

post-13361-0-51653300-1534262356_thumb.jpg

Popped up the road this morning to see Peter who kindly offered to fit the micro switch to the second point and wire it up. This is now ready for laying tomorrow with a bit of luck. We still may have to do a bit of tweaking to get the tracks to line up properly but this should not create a major problem - fingers crossed! Here are some pictures of the point wired up.

post-13361-0-64143000-1534262319_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-74197600-1534262381_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-20465300-1534262411_thumb.jpg

More tomorrow.

Rod

• Like 6

Howard and I had another session this afternoon to work on the fiddle yard. I am glad to say that the relaying of the track is complete but a little bit of wiring needs to be undertaken to finish the job. We ran out of time in the end so there are no photos this time but I will post some next time. We also had a couple visitors - Richard and his wife - from Burnham on Sea who came to inspect the layout and to pick up the 3 way point which used to adorn my fiddle yard. I hope they enjoyed their visit.

Rod

• Like 1

Hi Martin.

All my Peco points on the main layout i.e. in the station area have been modified to reduce the wheel drop and to improve the appearance. The wing and check rails have had their ends straightened and other mods have been carried out. However these latest points are in the fiddle yard and at present I have no plans to alter them at all unless running gets so bad (unlikely) that I have to do something. Hope this answers your question.

Rod